LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 128 users in the forums

So, are people still worried about Greg Roman leaving?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The problem with the offensive scheme is that Roman puts together running plays and other coaches put together passing plays. I'm not blaming Roman, but I'm not going to freak or anything if he leaves. I'd like to see a more imaginative passing scheme.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I saw a look on Harbaugh's face when he heard a play call and he had to call a timeout to get in changed. I've seen that look on his face other times also this season. Roman will be out after this year, either he gets a college head coaching job(thats what his offense is suited for) or Harbaugh will give him his walking papers.
I don't know, I thought there were a few plays last night where Kap checked out of a run play and turned it into a pass play, which turned into an incomplete pass
I dont think him leaving would hurt us
what the big unknown is is what roman's take was on the qb change--if he had kaerpernick forced upon him as the starter I think that he has to be absolved of some of the blame for the lack of consistent ffensive production

i doubt it will ever be disclosed what roman's position was
So Harbaugh was calling the plays in the 2nd half?

If so could be a sign that Harbaugh is getting pissed off with Roman's play calling and it's about time IMHO!!
Originally posted by Muggins:
Yall is trippin lol

yea they sleep LOL
No not worried. But also wouldn't be mad if he left either.
Gore 6 for 28 yards. He should have been canned Monday morning.

If he doesn't want VD involved ill live, but 6 runs to Gore is absolutely inexcusable
I'd only be pissed if he went to AZ.

Roman seems to run hot and cold.

One week he's brilliant and the next he sucks.

Frankly, we really NEED a new Red Zone plan.

f he leaves I won't lose any sleep.

Don't curr
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I'd only be pissed if he went to AZ.

Roman seems to run hot and cold.

One week he's brilliant and the next he sucks.

Frankly, we really NEED a new Red Zone plan.

f he leaves I won't lose any sleep.
Agreed.
49ers passing offense is 25th

3rd down conversion offense is 23rd
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by WINiner:
I can't wait till Roman goes. He is wildly inconsistent with his play calling. He tries to play mental games with his game plan rather than studying the opponent and beating what they do best. He gets too cute with his calls rather than just executing the known better than your opponent can defend it.He always, always, runs the same play immediately a second time if the new play he is trying to get cute with fails for any reason other than the D just plain stopped it. Last year in the playoff game against the Saints and that dumb pick play that we got penalized on two plays in a row, the play just a few weeks ago when Frank lined up on the wrong side, as examples. Teams have started to pick up on this.

We needed to go into Seattle and out physical that team last night. Who effin cares if they score fast. A nice 80+ yard grind it out and run the ball down their effin throats kind of drive to open and instead we attempt to throw the dagger at them out of the gates in the rain in the most hostile of environments?

Greg Roman wants to run a finesse high scoring offense. We have proven we win with a physical pound the rock down your gullet with a run heavy physical style of play. I like scoring big and quick when it is needed, but the best D is a powerful physical persistent offense and we got away from that last night.

We played right into Seattles hands with last nights game plan. This is one of those losses that make you questions wtf is going on.

I disagree, I don't think he knows WHAT offense he wants to run. There are times where he goes run-crazy, like against St Louis where Gore was getting about 2 yards a carry and they were stacking the box and run-blitzing, meanwhile the Rams CB's were playing about 10 yards off their guy....what did Roman do....keep running into a loaded box.

He might have some creativity but doesn't seem to have an understanding of flow or how to develop an offensive rhythm, he doesn't use plays to setup other plays later on in the game and his playcalling if anything has been inconsistent. After about 2 seasons, this offense isn't markedly improving, its the same issues over and over again, especially in the redzone.

Lets not forget what's taking place here. The 49ers didn't simply sub in a younger Alex Smith, they brought in a guy with a completely different set of strengths and weaknesses. The 49ers made good use of Alex's at the line adjusting, power running, and short passing game. Under Kaep...he clearly operates out of the shotgun better, can run better, and is much better at executing the play action passing game than Alex. Harbaugh's decision to substitute Kaep this late in the game has forced Roman to alter the playbook, but also to learn what his players can and can't do with the new plays. As expected, the results have been mixed...but with a lot more positives than negatives. How quickly we forget the Pats game.
Originally posted by SkyGod:
So Harbaugh was calling the plays in the 2nd half?

If so could be a sign that Harbaugh is getting pissed off with Roman's play calling and it's about time IMHO!!

Is this true?
Share 49ersWebzone