LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 247 users in the forums

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Does a team like the Chargers go after Smith? Rivers has not played well in a long time IMO.

or jets, cowboys
[ Edited by 49erfaithful49 on Nov 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
Does a team like the Chargers go after Smith? Rivers has not played well in a long time IMO.

or jets, cowboys

I can't see SD giving up on Rivers this quick
Roman didn't select Alex, but it was his job to make the best out of him.

Dolphins HC Philbin, who's job was to get the best out of Matt Flynn, decided to go in a different direction when he could've had someone he coached with a familiar WCO setting.

So I don't think it would be a guarantee that Roman would bring in Alex, if he became a Head Coach some where. I mean I'm sure he'd love to have Alex there for competition with who ever else they can get...but I don't think he would want to invest 7+ million for Alex.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
Alex Smith will be a starter somewhere, that is a fact. I know i had said 11 teams (that is obviously an exaggeration)

Chiefs 100% need a QB
Eagles are not going to go with Smith. Vick sells to many tickets
Browns 100% need a QB - Alex is younger and better than Weeden- Browns are built like the niners (to some extent)- win with their defense
Cardinals 100% need a QB
Tennesse needs a QB

Chiefs will probably pick a QB in the draft (Geno Smith? Barkley?). Nowadays teams like to start their high draft pick QB's.
Browns - They just drafted Weeden. I think he gets another year, he has played well.
Cards - Yes, I can see this
Tenessee - They have Locker who has looked good. Not happening.

I can see Smith start in New York (Jets), Arizona, Minny, Philly, Jacksonville. That's pretty much it.

If the Chiefs aren't sold on any top QB's for their draft pick they could certainly take Alex. Otherwise I agree with your list. Add Oakland as Palmer is not getting it done. Long shot would be Ravens telling Flacco he's asking for too much cash and replacing him. He's not a $14mil+ QB like he seems to think he is.
Originally posted by HornedToad10:
If the Chiefs aren't sold on any top QB's for their draft pick they could certainly take Alex. Otherwise I agree with your list. Add Oakland as Palmer is not getting it done. Long shot would be Ravens telling Flacco he's asking for too much cash and replacing him. He's not a $14mil+ QB like he seems to think he is.

Yeah I don't see that happening. Ravens are largely dependent on being able to stretch the field to open up opportunities underneath. Say what you want about Flacco, he's not the most dependable QB but he's got a cannon for an arm. I do think Kaepernick could have been a great fit with them, big arm, plus tremendous athleticism and mobility to boot.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by HornedToad10:

Yeah I don't see that happening. Ravens are largely dependent on being able to stretch the field to open up opportunities underneath. Say what you want about Flacco, he's not the most dependable QB but he's got a cannon for an arm. I do think Kaepernick could have been a great fit with them, big arm, plus tremendous athleticism and mobility to boot.

Flacco is the worst QB to have... He has done enough to probably get a big contract, but might not ever be able to take them to a Superbowl.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Flacco is the worst QB to have... He has done enough to probably get a big contract, but might not ever be able to take them to a Superbowl.

Likely not, wouldn't be shocked to see them take a look at someone in the draft next year......as a "backup" at first of course.
There are several teams alex can land. KC, Jags, Jets, Browns, I can't think of too many bottom dwellers that have a franchise QB. Alex can play at a higher level than their current QB's. A team like the jets can benefit from somebody like Alex.

For some reason, I doubt Alex goes to a team that isn't ready to compete for their division. I can see him staying in SF as a back up after a restructured contract.

Maybe the Jets or the Phins once again.
I hope we don't trade him. He will make a very good back-up. Only because he's knows the play book .
Is there really zero chance of Alex choosing to stay and be backup? I mean...technically he's 1 CK injury away from starting again. And he'd be a luxury to have as a back up QB. win/win situation?

If you were Alex Smith, would you stay and be a backup when you could go on the open market and not only start but get more money? Pretty sure he's just about fed up at this point so I doubt he'd stay.

Plus, I don't think the FO wants an $8M backup.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I can't see SD giving up on Rivers this quick

Rivers has peaked in my opinion and is on his way down. If Norv gets the boot, and he should, his replacement could do a lot worse than cutting Rivers (don't know the salcap. Implications), picking up Smith and looking to draft a high pick Spring 2014. 2013 draft doesn't look much at qb I hear.
Originally posted by English:
Rivers has peaked in my opinion and is on his way down. If Norv gets the boot, and he should, his replacement could do a lot worse than cutting Rivers (don't know the salcap. Implications), picking up Smith and looking to draft a high pick Spring 2014. 2013 draft doesn't look much at qb I hear.

This I agree with. San Diego is about the best option as far as being the most ready. New York is a maybe, but if we just relocates south, he wouldn't have to deal with that awful media. He would have a pretty good TE at his disposal and some ok receivers. Worse case scenario, he'd probably look the way he did in 2009, which numbers wise, was pretty decent and would be enough to make a playoff run.

Of the QBs coming out this year, there aren't too many that would be comfortable building a team around, especially when there is a QB that you could win right now with that may be on the market in Alex Smith if you solidify your O-line, RB position, and get a reliable TE (clearly Smith is much better throwing to the TEs than any other position).
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This I agree with. San Diego is about the best option as far as being the most ready. New York is a maybe, but if we just relocates south, he wouldn't have to deal with that awful media. He would have a pretty good TE at his disposal and some ok receivers. Worse case scenario, he'd probably look the way he did in 2009, which numbers wise, was pretty decent and would be enough to make a playoff run.

Of the QBs coming out this year, there aren't too many that would be comfortable building a team around, especially when there is a QB that you could win right now with that may be on the market in Alex Smith if you solidify your O-line, RB position, and get a reliable TE (clearly Smith is much better throwing to the TEs than any other position).

I think you can win now with Alex Smith..but a lot of things have to be in place and I don't know if that's realistic. Alex Smith is good for 17-20 TDs give or take. You need to have one hell of a D and special teams if you want to win with your QB generating just over 1TD per game. It will be interesting to see what he looks like once he's expected to win games on a game by game basis rather than being asked to manage the game.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
I think you can win now with Alex Smith..but a lot of things have to be in place and I don't know if that's realistic. Alex Smith is good for 17-20 TDs give or take. You need to have one hell of a D and special teams if you want to win with your QB generating just over 1TD per game. It will be interesting to see what he looks like once he's expected to win games on a game by game basis rather than being asked to manage the game.

Perhaps if he changes team his new team should consider getting a running back? Might be useful.
Share 49ersWebzone