There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
Alex Smith will be a starter somewhere, that is a fact. I know i had said 11 teams (that is obviously an exaggeration)

Chiefs 100% need a QB
Eagles are not going to go with Smith. Vick sells to many tickets
Browns 100% need a QB - Alex is younger and better than Weeden- Browns are built like the niners (to some extent)- win with their defense
Cardinals 100% need a QB
Tennesse needs a QB

Chiefs will probably pick a QB in the draft (Geno Smith? Barkley?). Nowadays teams like to start their high draft pick QB's.
Browns - They just drafted Weeden. I think he gets another year, he has played well.
Cards - Yes, I can see this
Tenessee - They have Locker who has looked good. Not happening.

I can see Smith start in New York (Jets), Arizona, Minny, Philly, Jacksonville. That's pretty much it.
I bet where ever Roman ends up as HC Smith will follow.
Originally posted by kingairta:
I bet where ever Roman ends up as HC Smith will follow.

For his sake, I hope so. Puts him in the best position to succeed IMO.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Blizzuntz, I qualified my remark about alex with your admonitions, requiring good or great OL, good corps of WRs. If I didn't do it in this thread, I have noted that in others. Funny, the old adage, "lines build NFL teams" and OL before DL. But both are important. NFL teams are intent on drafting the skilled ball handlers, most of the high picks going to ball guys, (RBs, TEs, WRs, QBs). It is amazing how many teams , time and again fail to draft an OL to protect that first rd QB. We did it ourselves with alex....and NO OL. He performed exactly like one would imagine with no OL. Other hi draft pick QBs also have gone to teams needing QBs, but needing OL moreso. IN the last two yrs, we have seen a run on OL and DL players, not just the ball handling guys. Our team started to be built when we got staley, AD and upati. Same goes for DL which was very mediocre prior to 3 yrs ago.

So yes, alex will go to a team with a great OL, and if he doesn't make a great OL part of the package he is nuts. Alex is smart, and he is not going to a team with a lousy OL. WRs already established would help too. The statement that "hopefully alex will bring a 2nd rd pick" are so far off the mark it is funny. Just way too many teams out there, all mentioned above in thread, in dire need of a 70% completion passer. But they darn well better have a great OL to tempt him.

Our offensive line in addition to Vernon and Delanies beast blocking, makes the run game dominant most of the time. Defenses have to respect the front line. Other teams know it and we know it, and we still smother them.
sometimes....not all the time
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Are we all sure Roman would want Smith IF he gets an NFL HC job? I haven't heard anything about him fighting for Smith to start.
Does a team like the Chargers go after Smith? Rivers has not played well in a long time IMO.

or jets, cowboys
[ Edited by 49erfaithful49 on Nov 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM ]
Does a team like the Chargers go after Smith? Rivers has not played well in a long time IMO.

or jets, cowboys

I can't see SD giving up on Rivers this quick
Roman didn't select Alex, but it was his job to make the best out of him.

Dolphins HC Philbin, who's job was to get the best out of Matt Flynn, decided to go in a different direction when he could've had someone he coached with a familiar WCO setting.

So I don't think it would be a guarantee that Roman would bring in Alex, if he became a Head Coach some where. I mean I'm sure he'd love to have Alex there for competition with who ever else they can get...but I don't think he would want to invest 7+ million for Alex.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Alex Smith will be a starter somewhere, that is a fact. I know i had said 11 teams (that is obviously an exaggeration)

Chiefs 100% need a QB
Eagles are not going to go with Smith. Vick sells to many tickets
Browns 100% need a QB - Alex is younger and better than Weeden- Browns are built like the niners (to some extent)- win with their defense
Cardinals 100% need a QB
Tennesse needs a QB

Chiefs will probably pick a QB in the draft (Geno Smith? Barkley?). Nowadays teams like to start their high draft pick QB's.
Browns - They just drafted Weeden. I think he gets another year, he has played well.
Cards - Yes, I can see this
Tenessee - They have Locker who has looked good. Not happening.

I can see Smith start in New York (Jets), Arizona, Minny, Philly, Jacksonville. That's pretty much it.

If the Chiefs aren't sold on any top QB's for their draft pick they could certainly take Alex. Otherwise I agree with your list. Add Oakland as Palmer is not getting it done. Long shot would be Ravens telling Flacco he's asking for too much cash and replacing him. He's not a $14mil+ QB like he seems to think he is.
Originally posted by HornedToad10:
If the Chiefs aren't sold on any top QB's for their draft pick they could certainly take Alex. Otherwise I agree with your list. Add Oakland as Palmer is not getting it done. Long shot would be Ravens telling Flacco he's asking for too much cash and replacing him. He's not a $14mil+ QB like he seems to think he is.

Yeah I don't see that happening. Ravens are largely dependent on being able to stretch the field to open up opportunities underneath. Say what you want about Flacco, he's not the most dependable QB but he's got a cannon for an arm. I do think Kaepernick could have been a great fit with them, big arm, plus tremendous athleticism and mobility to boot.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by HornedToad10:

Yeah I don't see that happening. Ravens are largely dependent on being able to stretch the field to open up opportunities underneath. Say what you want about Flacco, he's not the most dependable QB but he's got a cannon for an arm. I do think Kaepernick could have been a great fit with them, big arm, plus tremendous athleticism and mobility to boot.

Flacco is the worst QB to have... He has done enough to probably get a big contract, but might not ever be able to take them to a Superbowl.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Flacco is the worst QB to have... He has done enough to probably get a big contract, but might not ever be able to take them to a Superbowl.

Likely not, wouldn't be shocked to see them take a look at someone in the draft next year......as a "backup" at first of course.
There are several teams alex can land. KC, Jags, Jets, Browns, I can't think of too many bottom dwellers that have a franchise QB. Alex can play at a higher level than their current QB's. A team like the jets can benefit from somebody like Alex.

For some reason, I doubt Alex goes to a team that isn't ready to compete for their division. I can see him staying in SF as a back up after a restructured contract.

Maybe the Jets or the Phins once again.
I hope we don't trade him. He will make a very good back-up. Only because he's knows the play book .
Is there really zero chance of Alex choosing to stay and be backup? I mean...technically he's 1 CK injury away from starting again. And he'd be a luxury to have as a back up QB. win/win situation?