There are 241 users in the forums

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think if we go with kap.jh should gift wrap him and give him to his brother for christmass then they may have a chance to see us in the bowl....alex deserves to go to a super bowl calaber team.
i have a feeling that Alex Smith will come back and haunt us next year. I just hope it isn't in the playoffs.
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
Under Harbaugh Alex Smith is better than

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton
whoever Tennessee is starting
The eagles could use a QB

Fixed that for you.
Smith was a free agent and had slight interest from 1 team.
  • dj43
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
Originally posted by dj43:
1. Baalke will pay him at least what he is getting now to keep him as a back up until CK has thoroughly proven he is reliable against multiple opponents. Note: Bears. Steelers. Others.

2. Right now 20+ plus teams would pay Smith starting money to play for them, hence they are likely to give up a 2nd round pick to get him if he is signed.

I don't see Smith leaving except by trade.

really?

Yes, really. There are a lot of teams out there that are struggling with their current QB. They would love to have a guy who can lead the league in percentage and be high on the yards/att. list, as well as reading defenses well.

you dont think teams realize that the system would have to be pretty good for alex to succeed. I would say 5 teams tops. thats just my opinion

Smith has played in enough systems, and against enough other teams, to have significant value.

Here are the teams that are well settled at QB based on actual play (not the amount of money they have committed):
Atlanta
New Orleans
New England
Denver
NY Giants
Houston
Green Bay
Washington
Indy
Pittsburgh
Chicago
Carolina (barely)

These are on the bubble:
Cincy
Tampa Bay
Baltimore
Detroit

All the rest would be glad to have Alex Smith as their starting QB. Question is: Would Alex be willing to go to any of the others? There are some very bad teams out there and they would be willing to give up a lot to have consistent QB play.
[ Edited by dj43 on Nov 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by natrone06:

Only because it was well known he had no serious interest in going any place else unless Peyton came here.

I think this is mainly because everyone in the NFL knew he wanted to return to the 49ers and the 49ers wanted him. I think he would have had more interest if the 49ers had signed Peyton since then it wouldn't have been bringing in Alex just for the sake of it.

Additonally, teams are more unsettled at QB this year than they were last year: Arizona, Jacksonville, Jets, etc.

Only because it was well known he had no serious interest in going any place else unless Peyton came here.

Is that really the reason...did he have a do not disturb voice mail?
Alex is a top 10 qb imo, but because of the situation we would have little leverage so his value is rock bottom. Teams know we cant keep him next year if CK is the starter so they might offer a 5th for him but they know t hey could wait for us to cut him so likely we woildnt even get that. CK right now would fetch a 1st rounder because of the hype and his low contract number means we could hold onto him even if he wasnt starting.

Assuming both QBs continue at the level they have been we cant lose. We either clear a lot of cap room or get a high pick.
Smith has played in enough systems, and against enough other teams, to have significant value.

Here are the teams that are well settled at QB based on actual play (not the amount of money they have committed):
Atlanta
New Orleans
New England
Denver
NY Giants
Houston
Green Bay
Washington
Pittsburgh
Chicago
Carolina (barely)

These are on the bubble:
Cincy
Tampa Bay
Baltimore
Detroit

All the rest would be glad to have Alex Smith as their starting QB. Question is: Would Alex be willing to go to any of the others? There are some very bad teams out there and they would be willing to give up a lot to have consistent QB play.
Not sure about the "Bubble" list:

Dalton is a franchise QB
Stafford is a franchise QB
Flacco is a franchise QB
Johnson is maybe a slight step down, but still the unquestioned starter

He's going to Oakland and then his Raiderette wife will get all wet down there. The end.
Originally posted by pakalolo415:
He's going to Oakland and then his Raiderette wife will get all wet down there. The end.

LMAO
1. Baalke will pay him at least what he is getting now to keep him as a back up until CK has thoroughly proven he is reliable against multiple opponents. Note: Bears. Steelers. Others.

2. Right now 20+ plus teams would pay Smith starting money to play for them, hence they are likely to give up a 2nd round pick to get him if he is signed.

really?

Yes, really. There are a lot of teams out there that are struggling with their current QB. They would love to have a guy who can lead the league in percentage and be high on the yards/att. list, as well as reading defenses well.

you dont think teams realize that the system would have to be pretty good for alex to succeed. I would say 5 teams tops. thats just my opinion

Atlanta
New Orleans
New England
Denver
NY Giants
Houston
Green Bay
Washington
Pittsburgh
Chicago
Carolina (barely)

These are on the bubble:
Cincy
Tampa Bay
Baltimore
Detroit

I think you are overstating it and definitely forgot Indy on the settled list. I do think there are ~6-8 teams that would consider him though:

Jets
Arizona
Jacksonville
Eagles
Kansas City
Oakland?
Buffalo?
Tennessee?

If non of the above are doable then he could go to a team where he'd push the starter:
Minnesota
San Diego
Cleveland
Ravens
etc
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Alex is a top 10 qb imo, but because of the situation we would have little leverage so his value is rock bottom. Teams know we cant keep him next year if CK is the starter so they might offer a 5th for him but they know t hey could wait for us to cut him so likely we woildnt even get that. CK right now would fetch a 1st rounder because of the hype and his low contract number means we could hold onto him even if he wasnt starting.

Assuming both QBs continue at the level they have been we cant lose. We either clear a lot of cap room or get a high pick.

So it's ok for smith to start and CK to sit for the same money next year , but it's not ok if it's vice versa?

You cant be serious with that figure.
Share 49ersWebzone