There are 148 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Aldon Smith for Defensive player of the year award?

Aldon Smith for Defensive player of the year award?

He gets the record it's an easy choice!
He should get it.. but everybody is on JJ Watt's nutts this year so idk..
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Watt's having the better year. So is Von Miller.

That's debetable. The only thing that Watt excels at over Aldon is the pass deflections, and if Watt gets the award because of that FTW. Also keep in mind that this is Aldon's second year playing OLB, can you imagine when he fully develops. As far as Watt, he's been playing DE since Wisconsin days.
Aldon probably won't win due to the players he's surrounded by
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Aldon probably won't win due to the players he's surrounded by

you could make that argument for Watt (Antonio Smith, Brian Cushing(even though he went down early), Connor Barwin, Brooks Reed, Jonathan Joseph - their defense is basically as stacked as ours), and Miller(plays opposite Dumerville, has Champ Bailey, Wesly woodyard is having a good year), only player you could make a marginal argument for from that regard is Charles Tillman but he still has Julius Peppers, Urlacher, Tim Jennings and even Henry Melton.

All of the top candidates for DPOY play on stack teams this year.
LOL, he's already topped his rookie record! -6 more for the 'ultimate' record, and it's possible!
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Dec 2, 2012 at 4:11 PM ]
Originally posted by HERN:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Watt's having the better year. So is Von Miller.

That's debetable. The only thing that Watt excels at over Aldon is the pass deflections, and if Watt gets the award because of that FTW. Also keep in mind that this is Aldon's second year playing OLB, can you imagine when he fully develops. As far as Watt, he's been playing DE since Wisconsin days.

Yea but watt has an insane amount of sacks for a 3-4 DE. I think aldons only shot at getting it is if he breaks the record. Anything short and I see watt getting it. Both deserve it.
Watt and Miller had monster games today. Smith needs to play the Bears again to have a shot.
Or Aldon has to have a few "monster" games also in his last 4.
i love aldon. we needed a big sack in the forth quarter and couldnt get one
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Watt and Miller had monster games today. Smith needs to play the Bears again to have a shot.

Lol he's had 10 sacks in 4 games. He doesn't need to face any one team to be dominant. The man is in very elite company
He need to be used more against right Offensive tackles as opposed to just being used against LOT. He seems like a mismatch on that side, and thats here he got his sack again today if i am not mistaken. If im correct, thats 4 sacks off that side in the last three games.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Changed my opinion today. Aldon wont get DPOY unless he breaks Strahan's record. Von Miller has more PDs, FFs, and INTs then Aldon plus a comparable # of sacks.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

We have arizona left.
  • buck
  • Veteran
There are still plenty of games to be played, but at this point I still think JJ Watt has to be considered the best bet to win the DPOY.

My evaluation of Aldon Smith does not rest entirely on his winning or not winning the DPOY award.

Yesterday, Aldon Smith tied Fred Dean for the most sacks in a season with 17.5.
It seems safe to assume that he will break the team record.

Aldon Smith has already reached 30 sacks faster any player in NFL history--well the history since sacks became an official statistic.

With 31.5 sacks in his first two years, Aldon Smith has passed Reggie White as the player with the most sacks in his first two years.

Aldon Smith has developed his overall game enough to be rationally considered one of the dominant outside linebackers in the NFL.
The team really did need a good outside linebacker, and Aldon Smith has surpassed expectations and has become an excellent OLB.

Props to Aldon Smith.
[ Edited by buck on Dec 3, 2012 at 11:33 AM ]