There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Aldon Smith for Defensive player of the year award?

Aldon Smith for Defensive player of the year award?

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Aldon not gonna win because many feel Aldon has a high total only because he plays with Justin Smith.


"Many" don't watch him enough.

It's such a weak argument too. So what if Aldon works in tandem with Justin. Like Watt and Miller don't play off their teammates? Please.

I've seen Aldon destroy his man one-on-one many times. He's been the more productive pass rusher 2 years running now.


no kidding. Elvis Dumervil anyone???? there's a strong case for all three, but you can't fault Aldon because of the guys around him.


.......and Aldon isn't always on Justin's side of the line either.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
It's not a pass rushing award.

Watt is far more well-rounded in all areas of the game this year - which is the point I'm trying to make.
Far more well-rounded seems like an exaggeration.

Not only has Aldon has improved his pass rushing skills, but he also proven to be a solid, perhaps excellent, 3-4 outside linebacker.

He is fourth on the team in tackles.
He is setting the edge very well in the run game.
And, as far as I can tell from watching the games, has done surprisingly well in pass coverage.

"far more polished" IMO is a more accurate statement.

scary considering how good Aldon already is.
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 67
Aldon will have to break the sack record if he wants to contend with JJ Watt in the DPOY title race. Watt is having one of the most freakish years I've ever seen as a 3-4 DT. Then again, you never know what the back end of the season will bring.
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 49ers OLB Aldon Smith is named NFC Defensive Player of the Month for November with 9 sacks in three games. And SF had its bye this month.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Watt's having the better year. So is Von Miller.


seriously. im taking it you watch every niner game.
how many texans games have you watched?
EXACTLY! stop listening to the talking heads who only look at highlites and stat lines.
If he breaks the sack record he will get Defensive player of the year. We will have to wait and see.....
Originally posted by 619Niner:
If he breaks the sack record he will get Defensive player of the year. We will have to wait and see.....

Record is only 22??? he's got that s**t.
JJ Watt has been better.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 49ers OLB Aldon Smith is named NFC Defensive Player of the Month for November with 9 sacks in three games. And SF had its bye this month.


9 sacks in a month with a bye
  • IT21
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,056
If he breaks or ties Strahan's record of 22.5 they've gotta give it to him IMO TBH FWIW
  • IT21
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,056
Originally posted by 99problems:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Watt's having the better year. So is Von Miller.


seriously. im taking it you watch every niner game.
how many texans games have you watched?
EXACTLY! stop listening to the talking heads who only look at highlites and stat lines.

I've watched a couple.. Watt is having a GREAT season
He's playing on the level that Justin Smith did last year
Was it just me, or did Aldon not rush the QB as much in the Saints game?
Originally posted by Eugene88:
Was it just me, or did Aldon not rush the QB as much in the Saints game?

I need to check the film.

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by 619Niner:
If he breaks the sack record he will get Defensive player of the year. We will have to wait and see.....

Record is only 22??? he's got that s**t.

Knock on wood bruh.
Originally posted by Eugene88:
Was it just me, or did Aldon not rush the QB as much in the Saints game?

He was in coverage a few times and actually did a lot better than he did earlier in the year.

As far as the award I think it's gonna be hard to pass up Watt, and Miller. The media loves them two.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home