LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 161 users in the forums

2012 Players Who Should Be Cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by English:
Call it a youth movement or sorts. Many of those guys dont play at all so its reloading the backend with younger cheaper talent.

Not gonna fight for most of them but Grant deserves his roster spot.

I love Grant but at $1.26 million this year, he will not be cheap going forward. We have a lot of key guys coming up on new deals very soon, Iupati, Davis, Kilgore, Keap, Hunter, Brown, Cox, Goldson. We need money now but need flexibility in the next 2-3 years to sign key players and cant be constrained by inflated contracts that we make now.

Why cut Dobbs? He is signed through 2013... plus he is cheap and versatile.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Call it a youth movement or sorts. Many of those guys dont play at all so its reloading the backend with younger cheaper talent.

I love Grant but at $1.26 million this year, he will not be cheap going forward. We have a lot of key guys coming up on new deals very soon, Iupati, Davis, Kilgore, Keap, Hunter, Brown, Cox, Goldson. We need money now but need flexibility in the next 2-3 years to sign key players and cant be constrained by inflated contracts that we make now.

We hold onto a lot of guys that dont really do anything good. Aside from RJF who will takeover at NT, we have 0 quality depth on the DL. I would keep Tufukuhowdoyouspellit and dump the rest.
Go with the hot foot.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

We hold onto a lot of guys that dont really do anything good. Aside from RJF who will takeover at NT, we have 0 quality depth on the DL. I would keep Tufukuhowdoyouspellit and dump the rest.

we need DL help early in the draft. clearly our most glaring weakness. no depth and aging starters
I think Dobbs has value as a rusher on the edge in base Nickel downs. I think RJF is 90% of what Sopo is and obviously much younger. Would like to get him re-signed.

... but yeah... time to use one of our top 5 picks on a DL... most likely DE, but maybe NT also.
Share 49ersWebzone