There are 138 users in the forums

QB decision effect on locker Room

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The late Al Davis summed it up best, "Just Win Baby".
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
The late Al Davis summed it up best, "Just Win Baby".

Jed often credit's Al as one of his mentors. Much to the chagrin of Niners faithful lol.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Michael Irvin brought up a crucial point as to the "little" tendencies Kaep shows; commending/pumping his players on and off the sideline after good plays and BAD plays, and the players are RESPONDING to it (and that the players love playing with this guy, cause he's so exciting with his 'big-play' abilities). -You never see Alex take the leadership initiative like guys Peyton Manning or Brady make (communicating with the offensive linemen on the bench as shown in both starts).

When Kaep scores/makes a huge play, he's the 'aura' of the offense, has anybody noticed this the past two games? -There's an energy about Colin that just makes the whole team look good.

Can't argue with that.
I don't get the Smith vs Kaepernick back and forth at this point. I really dont. It sucks for Alex but I don't see why we can't just believe in both guys and trust that coach Harbaugh is starting the best guy. Coach knows we're going to need the extra offense in the playoffs and I believe its why Kaepernick is getting his feet wet now. There will be games where our defense struggles and those are the games Alex has not come through. Kaepernick had better step up in those games or this entire move is poinntless this close to the playoffs.

Lets not forget that it was our DEFENSE that dominated the last two games NOT Kaepernick so all the "its official Kaepernick is the guy" talk is premature considering its been two games and in those two games Smith would have looked like an all pro as well. I'm rolling with whichever qb Harbaugh says I need to be rolling with!! GO NINERS!!
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerG94:
I don't get the Smith vs Kaepernick back and forth at this point. I really dont. It sucks for Alex but I don't see why we can't just believe in both guys and trust that coach Harbaugh is starting the best guy. Coach knows we're going to need the extra offense in the playoffs and I believe its why Kaepernick is getting his feet wet now. There will be games where our defense struggles and those are the games Alex has not come through. Kaepernick had better step up in those games or this entire move is poinntless this close to the playoffs.

Lets not forget that it was our DEFENSE that dominated the last two games NOT Kaepernick so all the "its official Kaepernick is the guy" talk is premature considering its been two games and in those two games Smith would have looked like an all pro as well. I'm rolling with whichever qb Harbaugh says I need to be rolling with!! GO NINERS!!

You can just see on the sideline though that the team, or some of the players, is for Kaep. Everytime the camera panned to Kaep, teammates were talking to him and laughing having a good time. You never saw that with Alex, unless the cameras just didn't show it.

But agree, the Defense won the last 2 games by shutting down or limiting the opposing offenses. Its like where was this D when Alex was playing??!?!?! Its like a switch was turned on because Kaep is now in.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Get in where you fit in. A.Smith is now our backup and the BEST backup QB in the NFL. Not a bad position to be in. He'll be a starter again soon. While I do feel bad for him, it's only his fault that this happened. He's even said that he's way too conservative and should take more chances and make bigger plays, but he never did. A.Smith will be fine. He'll be a starter in this league again by next season.
From what I seen on NFL netowrk, after the game, Harb looks like a ghost, AS is about to cry saying he wants to play and start and you got VD saying AS is still the man... The funny thing is after last week's game VD said he felt the handcuffs were off and CK threw a pass like Brady and this week with no catches and DW getting the most yds he says AS is still the man rofl... What a bang wagoner and stirring up the pot lol!!!
[ Edited by HOF49er on Nov 26, 2012 at 5:44 AM ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Michael Irvin brought up a crucial point as to the "little" tendencies Kaep shows; commending/pumping his players on and off the sideline after good plays and BAD plays, and the players are RESPONDING to it (and that the players love playing with this guy, cause he's so exciting with his 'big-play' abilities). -You never see Alex take the leadership initiative like guys Peyton Manning or Brady make (communicating with the offensive linemen on the bench as shown in both starts).

When Kaep scores/makes a huge play, he's the 'aura' of the offense, has anybody noticed this the past two games? -There's an energy about Colin that just makes the whole team look good.

You can also bring up the other point as Marshall Faulk did on NFL network, that with the backup taking over and the HC not naming him the starter, the rest of the team feels like they need to try harder as they are pay to win games and with a young backup in there, their backs are kind of against the wall. We have seen the defense play a lot better these past 2 games with CK starting and the offense plays a bit harder trying to make plays with young CK in there as the QB... But like Marshall Faulk said, once CK is name the starter, the players might and will go back to their old selves before the change of QB. Who knows, Harb might know this and use it to win games while there are 5 more games left and there will be more in the play-offs, so he's really resting AS for the long run this season and seeing how far along CK is while using the
not naming a starter strategy to pump up the team for wins to secure a good play-off spot. (note, you can't say the players aren't trying harder too, the defense has been paying top notch the past 2 games while CK started, and KW and KH got ding up and we saw Manningham going hard and Crabtree jumping super high for catches)
[ Edited by HOF49er on Nov 26, 2012 at 6:07 AM ]
Originally posted by rk1642:
Hard to say but I'm sure our players will think twice when told anything. I know I would and they would be fools to take Trent and Jim at face value based on what limited knowlege we have. And by that I mean "Alex is an elite qb" kinda talk.

No starter wants to lose his job due to injury. They work hard and long to win those slots. Don't think I'd come out if I had a capable backup behind me.

If your starting qb has a top 5 rating, your winning games and first in your division and he gets benched it kinda sets a standard for all other players and I don't know if that would make me happy? We'll see.

But if I remember right, the locker room was divided before with the Alex vs Smith 2 years ago?
Frankly, I don't believe any starter looses his job due to injury. If he does it was because his job was in jeopardy prior to the injury.
I see some mistakes Smitty wouldnt have made, but i seen some throws and escapes from the rush that NO WAY Smitty would be able to do....but an even more deciding factor for me, and I wanted Alex to start yesterday, was the way the entire team- not just the offense- is fired up and these last 2 games, im sure that newness will wearoff soon, and things will settle down but fun to watch the team respond to Colin like they are

Kaep shredded the one of the best D's in the league and went into the Superdome on his first road start and played very well. I thought his best play was the long pass to Crabtree that got called back. Smith can't (or won't) make plays like that on a consistent basis. The other players know that. I would think after going 22-6-1 the players at least trust their coaches to be able to make the right decisions.
Originally posted by HOF49er:
From what I seen on NFL netowrk, after the game, Harb looks like a ghost, AS is about to cry saying he wants to play and start and you got VD saying AS is still the man... The funny thing is after last week's game VD said he felt the handcuffs were off and CK threw a pass like Brady and this week with no catches and DW getting the most yds he says AS is still the man rofl... What a bang wagoner and stirring up the pot lol!!!

The VD quote from last week about "handcuffs" was about the TE being the first read in the play progression, not that Kaep was in and the team was passing more. This is the problem with people who only watched football and never played it.
Originally posted by 49ersFan:
I see some mistakes Smitty wouldnt have made, but i seen some throws and escapes from the rush that NO WAY Smitty would be able to do....but an even more deciding factor for me, and I wanted Alex to start yesterday, was the way the entire team- not just the offense- is fired up and these last 2 games, im sure that newness will wearoff soon, and things will settle down but fun to watch the team respond to Colin like they are
You mean "has made". Let's not forget that Kaep is a rookie (OK, 2nd year) and only has two starts under his belt. He will make other mistakes but even with that his performances cannot be overlooked. A lot of us feel bad for Smith but you've got to put the best players on the field and I think coach is doing just that. It's not a popularity contest. Players, coaches and fans want to win. Kaep's accuracy is astounding. His ability to keep plays alive when most QBs would have been sacked is also remarkable. Although I understand Alex supporters have a vested interest in him and want to see him start and play well, but the way Kaep is playing, his athletic ability, awareness and upside is undeniable. It's a more potent offense with him at the helm. It's a different offense.
Originally posted by leebert81:
Originally posted by rk1642:
Hard to say but I'm sure our players will think twice when told anything. I know I would and they would be fools to take Trent and Jim at face value based on what limited knowlege we have. And by that I mean "Alex is an elite qb" kinda talk.

No starter wants to lose his job due to injury. They work hard and long to win those slots. Don't think I'd come out if I had a capable backup behind me.

If your starting qb has a top 5 rating, your winning games and first in your division and he gets benched it kinda sets a standard for all other players and I don't know if that would make me happy? We'll see.

But if I remember right, the locker room was divided before with the Alex vs Smith 2 years ago?
Frankly, I don't believe any starter looses his job due to injury. If he does it was because his job was in jeopardy prior to the injury.

WHOOMP There it is! Alex Smith did not lose his job because of an injury... JH inserted HIS guy when an opportunity presented itself! JH has a plan and a vision and CK is part of that plan and vision. JH is awesome for making AS look like a starter and Smith (while his feelings may be hurt) most likely knows it. I couldn't be happier that the age of the "game manager" seems to have finally come to an end and the age of the contributor or "game breaker" has seemingly started.

Dirty
U guys need 2 get over it, we selected kaep in the 2nd round to be our qb of the future and im sure that when we selected him u were happy with that
If u are real football fans u can plainly see kaep is the better qb, this team is much more polished and dynamic witj him at the helm
Harbaugh and his staff are on point and the best thing thats happened to thos team our last sb
Sit back and enjoy, the best is yet to come especially if alex stays on as our #t.qb
Share 49ersWebzone