There are 137 users in the forums

Who should be the 49ers QB for the rest of the year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who should be the 49ers QB for the rest of the year?

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Its very unfortunate for Smith to lose his job due to injury, and its very unfortunate but good for us that Kaepernick is playing lights out. Hey I wanted Smith to start and thinks he should still start, but who would've known who Tom Brady was if Bledsoe didn't get injured.
As always, this league is a business. It shouldn't be taken personally. We always hear the phrase: "What have you done for me lately?" That's why I believe Harbaugh stays with Colin Kaepernick as the starting QB.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I'm a Kap fan and think he's clearly the future of this franchise. But with the defense playing like this, I want to say give Alex his job back, play smart football and win this out.

We had that same great defense last year and Alex couldnt do anything against the Giants. He was awful against them this year as well. I believe NY is still the team to beat in the NFC and I want Kap to be the guy that plays against them.

Dude C'mon look at what receivers he had to work with Swain, John Matthews, Kyle Williams.

Look at what Smith did to the Saints......IN THE PLAYOFFS. Oh lets not forget he also did help guide a win over the Giants in the regular season too.

He had Crabtree as well. Regardless he could only complete 1 ball to a WR the entire game and the Niners were 1-13 on 3rd down conversions. This year against the Giants he looked lost and threw 3 picks. I truly believe that Kap gives the Niners the best chance to beat the NY Giants and win the SB. Feel free to differ though,
Originally posted by BrianGO:
First off, I LOVE Harbaugh. I love every bit of his quirky thought process, but Wednesday's press conference is going to be hilarious...

Wednesday's press conference:

Reporter: "So coach, have you named a starting quarterback?"

Harbaugh: "I'll get to that in a second, but first I want to make a few announcements, and clear up a few things. First, it looks like Kyle Williams will be out for the season. Tough blow to our team, as he was a real team guy. Hunter might also be out for a while, but we know that we have guys on the team who will step up and fill in without skipping a beat, because they are team players and have been preparing to have this opportunity, and that is what "team" is all about.
We have a very tough opponent coming up, whom we played a very hard fought game against recently which ended kind of awkward with a draw of sorts. We're going to have to play very well as a team if we want to get a "W" against them on their turf. So I told my team today to remember to focus on the TEAM the TEAM the TEAM, and not to let all the other chicken scratch and turkey gobble gobble distract them. I guarantee that we will win or lose this next game as a TEAM. There will be no single player responsible for victory this coming Sunday. Every single player on the team will be important to our team goal.
Second, on that note I would like to clear up who the starting quarterback of this team is. The starting quarterback of the 49ers is Alex Smith. That has always been the case, and it will remain so for the rest of the season. He is "our guy". He has done nothing at all to lose his job, and that is why he will remain the starting quarterback.

Reporter: "So Smith will start against the Rams this Sunday?"

Harbaugh: "Woh there! Wait a second. I didn't say that. Please don't put words into my mouth. I haven't announced the starter yet, I will get to that in a minute."

Reporter: "Uh ok, but..."

Harbaugh: "...The TEAM. The TEAM. The TEAM. That is what is important here. I know you have to write your articles and sell them smoking hot off the presses and try to create a little drama that isn't there; but that is not how the San Francisco 49ers operate.
So now I'd like to announce the starting quarterback for this Sunday. As if this even matters, but for some reason you guys just love these little announcements. The starting quarterback for this Sunday against the Rams is going to be Colin Kaepernick.

Reporter: "So what is the reason you're going with Colin this week, if you feel Alex is your starting quarterback?"

Harbaugh: "I feel that, at this time, we have the best chance to win as a TEAM with Colin at quarterback this week."

Reporter: "Is it because you feel his style of play has a particular advantage against the Rams defense?"

Harbaugh: "No, not really. The opponent in particular has nothing to do with the decision actually."

Reporter: "Do you still feel that Alex is completely over his concussion symptoms?"

Harbaugh: "Definitely. I spoke with the doctors and they have given him a 100% clean bill of health, and Alex told me he feels great."

Reporter: "But..."

Harbaugh: "...and that is great because Alex Smith is our starting quarterback, the team captain, one of our team leaders, and it will be great to have him 100% ready to go on Sunday."

Reporter: "But if he is 100% healthy, and there is no particular match up advantage Colin brings against the Rams, then why..."

Harbaugh: "See I KNEW this would happen! I KNEW it. You guys have to write up your stories, and try to drum up all kinds of circus side shows, just to get people all riled up so they buy your articles and web blogs.

Reporter: "Web blogs?"

Harbaugh: "I think it is 100% crystal clear. Alex is the starting quarterback of this football team. He is "the man"."

Reporter: "But not 'the man' who will be walking out to the huddle when the offense takes the field in St. Louis?"

Harbaugh: "I really fail to see how any of this actually matters! Our football TEAM will walk out onto the field in St. Louis. This isn't fantasy football. This is a real football game, and real football games are won by real TEAMS, not by fantasy web blogs, and gobbledy gobble articles in newspapers."

Reporter: "So you are starting your BACKUP quarterback?"

Harbaugh: "See again. Look, all this terminology just serves to tear people down, and I'm not about that. This team is not about that. Really guys, I don't think there is much more to say about this issue."

Reporter: "After this press conference, believe me coach, there is going to be a LOT more to say about this issue."

Harbaugh: "Well that's too bad, because it should be about the GAME. That's what really matters. Not the fantasy stats or who's the favorite player on the web blog. The game is just so much bigger than all of this side show stuff."

Reporter: "Do you think it is wise to have the starting quarterback position 'up in the air', week-to-week?"

Harbaugh: "Absolutely not. Why do you say its 'up in the air'?"

Reporter: "'Up in the air' in the sense that the team will not know who the starter is week-to-week?"

Harbaugh: "The team knows who will start the games week-to-week."

Reporter: "Who?"

Harbaugh: "Colin Kaepernick."

Reporter: "Colin is going to be the starting quarterback going forward?!"

Harbaugh: "My gosh, I don't get what is not clicking here today. Alex Smith is the starting quarterback! What is that now, the 10th time I've said that?"

Reporter: "So Alex Smith is 'the starting quarterback', yet Colin Kaepernick will actually be starting the games week-to-week and into the foreseeable future?!"

Harbaugh: "Bingo!"

Reporter: "So Smith is 'The Starting Quarterback', just like 'The Queen of England' is 'The Queen'?"

Harbaugh: "See now, that's just unnecessary. Why do you have to go on and do that? Why do you have to diminish the guy? Just to go sell a paper? Just to go sell your blog?"

Reporter: "Don't worry about that coach, after this interview, the papers will sell themselves."

Harbaugh: "Well then I guess we're all happy." *Everyone laughs*

I could picture this going down
Originally posted by PTulini:
As always, this league is a business. It shouldn't be taken personally. We always hear the phrase: "What have you done for me lately?" That's why I believe Harbaugh stays with Colin Kaepernick as the starting QB.

Not only "What have you done for me lately" but the idea is to make money and to do that you have to put butts in the seats. The 49er's are very fortunate that not only do they have a new QB that can actually win games but one who put excitement back to the game.

Unlike Tim Tebow who has his followers though he sucks, but wherever he goes, he puts more butts into the stadium seats.

Feel sorry for Alex Smith ... Hmmm, that guy made a ton of money, much more than 99% of us will make in our lifetime. Should I feel sorry that he may lose his starting job? If I were him, I would take my money, invest it properly and laugh all the way to the bank. "What I don't have to play anymore and risk a serious injury? Gosh that would be hard to take!
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:

Not only "What have you done for me lately" but the idea is to make money and to do that you have to put butts in the seats. The 49er's are very fortunate that not only do they have a new QB that can actually win games but one who put excitement back to the game.

Unlike Tim Tebow who has his followers though he sucks, but wherever he goes, he puts more butts into the stadium seats.

Feel sorry for Alex Smith ... Hmmm, that guy made a ton of money, much more than 99% of us will make in our lifetime. Should I feel sorry that he may lose his starting job? If I were him, I would take my money, invest it properly and laugh all the way to the bank. "What I don't have to play anymore and risk a serious injury? Gosh that would be hard to take!

This was one of my arguments before.

Do you guys think Jed York had a say in the QB situation. From a financial standpoint for the 49ers organization, YES & Maybe...

1) colin comes cheaper 800k versus 10 million dollars next season

2) more PR and more viewings due to Colin???? What generates more Buzz? I remember when Jermey Lin was the BUZZ for the NYK, the NYK stock shot up 20%-30% during that time due to more media attention and viewings.

peace out!~
[ Edited by ginseng1000 on Nov 27, 2012 at 7:51 PM ]
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

Do you guys think Jed York had a say in the QB situation. From a financial standpoint for the 49ers organization, YES & Maybe...

2) more PR and more viewings due to Colin???? What generates more Buzz? I remember when Jermey Lin was the BUZZ for the NYK, the NYK stock shot up 20%-30% during that time due to more media attention and viewings.

peace out!~

The financial situation is convenient from a salary cap perspective. Kaepernick has a very low cap hit, which is obviously very important, because it gives us the ability to front-load contracts, to sign players like Iupati and Goldson.
However, there is no way in heck Jed York or Trent Baalke have anything to do with the decision on who the starting quarterback will be.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Its very unfortunate for Smith to lose his job due to injury, and its very unfortunate but good for us that Kaepernick is playing lights out. Hey I wanted Smith to start and thinks he should still start, but who would've known who Tom Brady was if Bledsoe didn't get injured.

Very good point. A lot of people will point out that Bledsoe wasnt exactly lighting it up that season, but he was a probowler that took his team to the SB once upon a team. Although Smith might be the safer bet, this might be the right time to hand over the reigns to Kaep. Again, the priority is to win a SB --- but we're also looking for a long term QB that will bring this team success for seasons to come. The only disadvantage that Kaep has over Alex is the lack of experience, and this should be the only reason why JimHarb should/would/could pick Alex over Kaep for the rest of the year.

But finishing this season strong and getting some playoff experience (with a possible SB title) could go a long ways to developing Kaep into this franchise's QB for the next decade+.
Originally posted by 2000sooners:
I think Kaepernick should be the starter to see how he does. If he does good now that shows that we have no need to resign Smith again. The future is now lol save money to keep some defensive players

100%

peace out!~

peace out!~

Should we buy stock in Kaep then when Goldman Sachs takes him public? After an hour into trading (synonymous with 2 starts) ill sell the Kaep IPO along with the hype and invest my profits (2 wins) into a steady dividend paying proven winner, aka Smith.

Jed? Who's Jed.

Originally posted by rammer:
Honestly, how long did it take you to imagine this?

About an hour. I've always liked writing.

Good sht Brian.
The financial situation is convenient from a salary cap perspective. Kaepernick has a very low cap hit, which is obviously very important, because it gives us the ability to front-load contracts, to sign players like Iupati and Goldson.
However, there is no way in heck Jed York or Trent Baalke have anything to do with the decision on who the starting quarterback will be.
Don't bet on it! If the boss want's something it's going to happen. Been there, done that. I've worked for people, managed people and I've owned my own company .. and what the boss wants ... happens. Because if it doesn't ...well ... there's always the door. NO ONE and I MEAN ..NO ONE is bigger than the owner.

They may not make the right decision, but they're paying you your salary ... so better listen or hit the unemployment line.

And before anyone says ... Harbaugh is such a good coach that another team will pick him up right away. It may be so but where and what team?
Being a good coach is one thing, but to be successful, you have to have the right players and yes, owners to make it all happen.

Lots of good coaches that wound up with the wrong team and couldn't make it happen: i.e. Holmgren, Parcells, Mike Shanahan, Hank Stram, Dick Nolan and Jim Mora to name just a few.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 27, 2012 at 10:04 PM ]
I have a Harbaugh feeling that Alex will start. Why?

Harbaugh loves having the media in the complete dark about his decisions. In fact, he loves it even more when the media prints in complete dark and gets it wrong. Remember when we were trying to hire him? Someone tipped things off that no way Jim signs with us and media started printing Miami. Some media is still butthurt about that.

Now, media starts printing Colin due to "sources" yet, this time, not one 49ers player has mentioned who will start- Whitner did last week.

Got a feeling Jim wants to prove that the media isn't truly information rather than it is turkey gobble gobble.

Or Colin will simply start due to obvious reasons: he's just better.
It's Kaep's team now.

Guess the Alex Smith era is officially ova, barring any injuries to Kaep.
Share 49ersWebzone