LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Who should be the 49ers QB for the rest of the year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who should be the 49ers QB for the rest of the year?

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by jcashen87:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It doesn't matter, if CK starts one more game, it's too late to go back to Smith.

I think if CK starts in the playoffs, our chance at getting to a Super Bowl is about 5-10 percent. Just getting there.

What do you feel the chance is if Alex starts the playoffs?

Honest question

I think it could be up to 50-50 (Remember, this is just making it there -- not getting into whether we win it or not). Only because Smith is incredibly smart and if he had to face the Giants again I believe he would have a far better game, showing he learned from the one poor showing. Smith is a guy who gets better and better as the season goes along.

I feel like the chances of Kaepernick making too many mistakes is higher than Smith, and that's ultimately why I'd feel more comfortable with Alex in the playoffs right now. Next year, in CK's third year, all bets are off though.

Smith has already faced the Giants again and had his worst game of the season. I think CK can counter the Giants D which blitzes and stays close to the line stopping the run and the short passing game. CK could back that D off some and make them play honest.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Faraz80:
If Harbaugh sticks with Kaep from here on out, Im all for it.

IMO, Alex should get the reigns for the rest of the season. Give him his fair shot to win a SB. If he does, great....he automatically earns the remainder of his contract. Anything less, give him the boot and lets move on to the Kaep era.

Alex has done a lot of damage during his tenure here. He's picked up his game dramatically these past 2 years, and he's earned the right to get us to the big game. BUT, if he cannot do it with this DEFENSE, this RB crew, this OLINE, these WRs, and this COACHING STAFF....then we know he's not good enough with a great supporting cast.

Alex in 2012.....Kaep in 2013 - xxx if Alex doesnt win the SB.

People know how big a fan I am of Alex... but I can more or less agree with all of this. Asking for SB or release is a bit harsh... but those little circumstances will play a role in such a decision. Plus, if the coaches really feel that in 2013, Ck7 can do as much (or more) as Alex can? Then, it makes financial sense to ditch Alex's contract and hand some of that money over to retain a very good player... like Goldson.

BUT... this year should belong to Alex... unless he stinks it up for the next 2-3 weeks. But I do feel he deserves this season... and that rushing Ck7 in this season would be premature and.. just wrong.
AS is definetly great insurance when or if the hot hand cools down.....we got to keep rolling the dice though

as for next year...i dont see AS being money hungry enough to be leave because of a cut in pay
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Faraz80:
If Harbaugh sticks with Kaep from here on out, Im all for it.

IMO, Alex should get the reigns for the rest of the season. Give him his fair shot to win a SB. If he does, great....he automatically earns the remainder of his contract. Anything less, give him the boot and lets move on to the Kaep era.

Alex has done a lot of damage during his tenure here. He's picked up his game dramatically these past 2 years, and he's earned the right to get us to the big game. BUT, if he cannot do it with this DEFENSE, this RB crew, this OLINE, these WRs, and this COACHING STAFF....then we know he's not good enough with a great supporting cast.

Alex in 2012.....Kaep in 2013 - xxx if Alex doesnt win the SB.

People know how big a fan I am of Alex... but I can more or less agree with all of this. Asking for SB or release is a bit harsh... but those little circumstances will play a role in such a decision. Plus, if the coaches really feel that in 2013, Ck7 can do as much (or more) as Alex can? Then, it makes financial sense to ditch Alex's contract and hand some of that money over to retain a very good player... like Goldson.

BUT... this year should belong to Alex... unless he stinks it up for the next 2-3 weeks. But I do feel he deserves this season... and that rushing Ck7 in this season would be premature and.. just wrong.
AS is definetly great insurance when or if the hot hand cools down.....we got to keep rolling the dice though

as for next year...i dont see AS being money hungry enough to be leave because of a cut in pay

I don't think it's about the money anymore. This would be a matter of pride. Alex wouldn't want to hold the clipboard while watching some other QB start for "his" team. He would want to go to a QB-needy team and compete to start elsewhere... and even if he ended up backing up some other team's QB, at least he wouldn't have that bad taste left in his mouth while rotting away on the sideline in SF. Or he can take my advice and just hang em up.. do something better with his life.

Either way, I'd like to believe Alex will start vs the Rams... have a good game... continue on and then win his way to ring # 6.

Again, it just comes down to player preference... overall outcome preference. But if that is not to be, then I hope Ck7 can win us that ring # 6. Winning come first... but I don't want Alex losing his job unless he no longer deserves to hold down that job.
I think we are forgetting another huge factor in who starts and that is Roman.

I think it's simple, if Alex allows us to expand our offense to become more deadly, then you start him. If Keap allows the offense to expand and become more deadly, then it's him. He has shown he is ready by playing in 3 games where all presented very difficult situations and pressure to perform. He hasn't done anything to show he isn't ready.
Alex has earned this as much as any NFL player but if he can't help Roman take this offense to another level then it just means Colin took a stranglehold of the job once he got his chance- enough so that he coaches cannot just look away.
Go with Kaep until he fails....But Alex deserves it....
I'm a Kap fan and think he's clearly the future of this franchise. But with the defense playing like this, I want to say give Alex his job back, play smart football and win this out.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I'm a Kap fan and think he's clearly the future of this franchise. But with the defense playing like this, I want to say give Alex his job back, play smart football and win this out.

But you could also look at it as in the Defense is playing like this, so let's take more chances and not give teams any hope at the end of the game win because the score is close.

Remember when we were not very good? The goal was to keep it close so we have a chance to win in the end. Teams that play us would love it if the game is close towards the end. It gives them hope and possible excitement to finish a game strong. It keeps them in the game. Only teams that are not very good would want that.

We do not want that "keep it close" type of game.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM ]
I think that alex smith should be get a chance to prove he should be the starter.He has proven that he is a winner.Before he got his concussion he was playing extremely well.why not atleast give him a chance?????
Originally posted by 619Niner:
Go with Kaep until he fails....But Alex deserves it....

Agree.

Alex is deserving, but that doesn't mean he should start. It's only been two games, but it appears that Kaep makes us a better football team.
Originally posted by Joecool:

But you could also look at it as in the Defense is playing like this, so let's take more chances and not give teams any hope at the end of the game win because the score is close.

Remember when we were not very good? The goal was to keep it close so we have a chance to win in the end. Teams that play us would love it if the game is close towards the end. It gives them hope and possible excitement to finish a game strong. It keeps them in the game. Only teams that are not very good would want that.

We do not want that "keep it close" type of game.

Based on recent trends, its more likely that the team (as a whole) keeps the games close, and therefore Alex is the "safer" (not necessarily better) option for now.

I'll just reiterate my comment from several threads. Everyone knows Alex is not THE franchise quarterback --- that title will eventually go to Kaep. Before Alex suffered the concussion, the question was WHEN rather than IF Kaep would take over the reigns. What he has demonstrated over the course of 2 weeks is astonishing, and it sets us up for a glorious run at greatness with years to come.

With that said, going into the playoffs in 2012 with Kaep as starter gives us no better advantage than going into the 2011 playoffs with Alex Smith. Inexperience will become an issue sooner or later....and Id hate to see Kaep get thrown off his game in the playoffs facing an explosive Packers offense putting up points or getting riled by an Atlanta defense in the Georgia dome (same defense that Peyton threw 3 INTs to in the 1st quarter).

The simple solution is to give Alex is job back and let him EARN his contract. This is year 2 of the WCO....he has all the pieces in place for a SB run. If he wins the big one, he buys himself another year with the team. If not, we cut ties and move on. It'll put a nice conclusion to the Alex Smith saga, one way or another.

Watching NFL replay....1st TD drive for Kaep...good command of the offense.

What I liked about his passes was the ANTICIPATION on his throws. Not waiting for receivers to get open (ala Alex) but rather putting it in spots where they could make catches and make a play --- eg first pass to Mario.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
I'm just glad I'm not making this decision

We had that same great defense last year and Alex couldnt do anything against the Giants. He was awful against them this year as well. I believe NY is still the team to beat in the NFC and I want Kap to be the guy that plays against them.
Tolzein
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

We had that same great defense last year and Alex couldnt do anything against the Giants. He was awful against them this year as well. I believe NY is still the team to beat in the NFC and I want Kap to be the guy that plays against them.

Dude C'mon look at what receivers he had to work with Swain, John Matthews, Kyle Williams.

Look at what Smith did to the Saints......IN THE PLAYOFFS. Oh lets not forget he also did help guide a win over the Giants in the regular season too.
Share 49ersWebzone