There are 210 users in the forums

Should Harbaugh bring in another kicker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Harbaugh bring in another kicker?

Anything over 35 and I'm nervous as hell this year. It's been shaky. You can NEVER trust a kicker year to year.
Akers has missed more FGs the past 3 weeks then Alex Smith has incomplete passes....And He got benched. So yea, I would say he needs a push.
harbaugh called akers "the greatest kicker in nfl history" earlier this year.

that's what you call a jinx.
NO!!!!
Problem is who is available at this time of year that would be an improvement?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
guys do we give him a break on the blocked one? did we not block well or did he just blow it? who could you bring in right now? pretty nervous about that at this time of the year but then i am very very nervous about dave. i thought it was back to his form before yesterday. the penalties made me mad yesterday but the maddest i got was the field goal which was blocked. thank god for the long drive giving our defense a nice rest
Akers is the weakest link on this otherwise super bowl caliber team. Either get him hypnotherapy or find another kicker now.
Yea i need to hear about somebody coming in to workout this week. he's back to his last year in philly form
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Akers is the weakest link on this otherwise super bowl caliber team. Either get him hypnotherapy or find another kicker now.

Bring in Talvecchio or whatever his name is, Left footed kicker who was with us this offseason. f**k it bring back Nedney. AKers sucks bad this year
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

would it be ok just to bring someone in, if for no other reason,, to give dave a kick in the ass. you know Jh is all about competition. even if coach is bluffing to bring someone in to give him some competition may jump start dave?? maybe i am wrong?

Originally posted by cciowa:
guys do we give him a break on the blocked one? did we not block well or did he just blow it? who could you bring in right now? pretty nervous about that at this time of the year but then i am very very nervous about dave. i thought it was back to his form before yesterday. the penalties made me mad yesterday but the maddest i got was the field goal which was blocked. thank god for the long drive giving our defense a nice rest

i'd give him a break on the block, since it was a db's coming in to block it and not a lineman knocking down an unnecessarily low kick

i'd bring someone in for a workout, just as motivation for akers. i'd give him more time to work it through. that's only because he's a vet, if he were a young gun, i'd be screaming for him to be cut already.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

i'd give him a break on the block, since it was a db's coming in to block it and not a lineman knocking down an unnecessarily low kick

i'd bring someone in for a workout, just as motivation for akers. i'd give him more time to work it through. that's only because he's a vet, if he were a young gun, i'd be screaming for him to be cut already.
i agree, thank you, cc those kicks and our penalities made it pretty tense yesterday but alls well that ends well i guess

would it be ok just to bring someone in, if for no other reason,, to give dave a kick in the ass. you know Jh is all about competition. even if coach is bluffing to bring someone in to give him some competition may jump start dave?? maybe i am wrong?

Just my opinion, but I don't think Akers' issue is motivation...it's a lack of confidence. It's in his head right now and I don't think there's a lot you can do about it.
well maybe its time we draft a kicker
Candlestick Park as it used to be called is one of the hardest places to kick field goals as has been proven time and time again. The wind tends to swirl in every which way. The 49er's have brought in all types of kickers since the Stick was first erected in 1960 and David Akers has been one of the very few that could kick field goals on a consistent basis.

Sure he's having a tough time now, but replacing him at this juncture would be a very difficult task.

Best to have someone work with him and see what he's doing wrong or if anything is wrong with him physically. The problem with field goal kickers is that once they miss a couple of kicks they start pressing and it just gets worse from there. Hopefully he can recover and that his current miscues doesn't result in a 49er loss.

Addendum: The only other field goal kicker who was pretty consistent was Ray Wershing. Other than these two, it was a hit and a miss affair and they've gone through a bunch of kickers.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone