LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

greg roman and alex smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by UKNiners:
Originally posted by taney71:
I'm with you on this one. I'm a Smith supporter (as I would be a Kaep supporter) but once he's gone I could care less.

Originally posted by buck:
Alex isn't going to be traded. He's got a one year contract right now.

Alex Smith is on a three-year, $24 million contract. He will be a free agent in 2015.

Alex Smith can be traded.

I am not saying he should be traded or that is likely that he will be traded; just that it is possible.

But, as I understand the contract, the 49ers can void the contract by not paying a bonus that is due in March 2013.
edit: That bonus is substancial. I think the bonus is 7.5 million.

If that happened, Smith would be a free agent in 2013.

If Smith is traded, the new team will pick up the old contract or will have to reach a new contract with Smith.

I think most teams would wait for Smith to become a free agent.

It's a one year deal with a team option. I guess its fine to call it multiple year but I believe the third year is a team and player option. AB3 should clear this up.

$1mm March 1 and $7.5mm April 1. (I think)

Alex SmithQuarterback

3/20/2012: Signed a three-year, $24 million contract. The deal contains $9 million guaranteed -- an initial roster bonus of $3 million, all of Smith's 2012 base salary, and $1 million of his 2013 salary. Another $9 million is available through incentives, though $5.25 million of them are "unlikely to be earned." An annual $250,000 workout bonus is available.

2012: $5 million

2013: $7.5 million (+ $1 million roster bonus due in March)

2014: $7.5 million

2015: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/sf/49ers
If Roman leaves - who replaces him?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

In house --logically it would be Chryst. Outsider .... I would try for Andy Reed if he gets fired and wants to be back coaching right away. Norv Turner for the second go round would be good too. Similar mindset as HarRo is what we should be looking for.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

In house --logically it would be Chryst. Outsider .... I would try for Andy Reed if he gets fired and wants to be back coaching right away. Norv Turner for the second go round would be good too. Similar mindset as HarRo is what we should be looking for.

I would stay in house.

I definitely do want Norv Turner.
Originally posted by Radio49er:
I JUST said this the other day... Roman will go to the Chiefs and take Alex with him. The will draft a rookie QB but have Alex mentor him for the next few seasons! Plus the CHIEFS LOVE old 49er QBs... Montana, Bono, Grbac!

Sonoma County Sports Fans with Danny & Dano
The ONLY Show FOR Sports Fans BY Sports Fans
1350 KSRO
www.socosportsfans.com

You can add Steve DeBerg to that list of former 49ers that became a Chief too. If you don't know Deberg was the QB prior to Montana. He also funnily enough Was in Denver when Elway was drafted and Tampa when Steve Young and Vinny Testeverde was drafted before landing with the Chiefs.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Neither of them will be leaving after this season.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Pfield9er:
does anyone one else think that roman could bring alex with him if he gets a head coaching job?

Not sure anyone should care, really. I have lots of respect for Alex, but once he is no longer a 49er, then he's pretty irrelevant to me. Will always want good for him... but no 49er? then whateverz... see ya!

I would root for him, if he left, as long as he is not playing against the 9ers. Just like I do all the other ex-niners that have left on good terms.
Prediction :

Alex will remain starter in SF rest of season.
If SF wins Superbowl, he's a goner
If SF doesnt, he's a goner.

As much as unfair as if sounds I think he's done.
I think as good as the team has done so far, the coaching staff would be foolish to make a change.
You got to think of the smith supporters on the team,

Staley
Gore
Willis
J Smith
Vernon - might have changed

What message does a change send? Do good, almost reach record for completions on Monday night, get hurt so your out?
Why risk going with Kap now it's not like were 5-5 and on verge of collapse.

I think this is pretty spot on.

Harbs always speaks highly of Geep and he was the one that drew up Vernon Post. So he's definitely got some skills.

Plus they are already very familiar with each other and Jim strikes me as a guy that would like to promote within his ranks.

How would Norv be a good fit here? WCO? I don't think so...

Plus, Andy Reid is a garbage play-caller.

Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
Prediction :

Alex will remain starter in SF rest of season.
If SF wins Superbowl, he's a goner
If SF doesnt, he's a goner.

As much as unfair as if sounds I think he's done.
I think as good as the team has done so far, the coaching staff would be foolish to make a change.
You got to think of the smith supporters on the team,

Staley
Gore
Willis
J Smith
Vernon - might have changed

What message does a change send? Do good, almost reach record for completions on Monday night, get hurt so your out?
Why risk going with Kap now it's not like were 5-5 and on verge of collapse.

Why would you say that they all back smith. Did you see how the whole entire offense was fired up backing Kaepernick for the Bears game?
Wow, i can't believe i am that far out of the mainstream on QBs. I think alex stays, and I don't think Kap necessarily wins the starting job next yr. Sorry guys, way too little experience for a team that has SB written all over it with our Fabulous Front 7, our tough OL, our RBs, our WRs , our TEs, our Punter, and KO guy. PK is getting better but has fallen off, DBs are getting better, but depends on the D gameplan and play calls made. If good calls they look great. Bad calls and DBs don't look so hot. To just assume Kap is going to take over a ready made SB team doesn't seem reasonable to me. Maybe yr after next, or yr after. Right now we got a kid with tons of talent, and not much experience, with a SB ready team this yr, next yr and maybe the next.

I'm staying with the experienced QB, not that Kap couldn't beat alex out in TC, but the one best package for success for next three yrs is alex and Kap. How many teams have 2 bona fide starters(altho kap doesn't earn that really, yet). One game does not a career make. And still Kap has not seen the passrush of Osi, Jean pierre, and Tuck, nor has he seen the BIG RUSH of Suh, von something or other and 1 other potential all pro. Also Kap hasn't seen the big rush of the purple people eaters. Those games, those BIG RUSHes, are the thing that separates the wheat from the chaffe at QB. And those BIG RUSH teams are the ones that dictate who wins the SB. If fangio would blitz more, I would put us in the BIG RUSH group.

Alex has led us to wins over Lions, GB. Our coach had symptomatic AFib (with decr oxygen to brain in Giants, Vikes, and Rams games). When Coach Harbaugh is on and alex is Qb, we win. Coach was on against bears and....we win. For me, having both guys,( and it is affordable), is the ticket to SB 6 and 7. You screw up your starter and you have one just as good, gives you a huge advantage over the rest of the league. Brady went down and Pats lost on out. You know the Bears and Steelers story. Our best bet and the one i am hoping for is both alex and Kap for two more yrs. Best man starts. Of course you would have to sell that to both QBs. Tolz in the background is just unheard of riches for us. Also we got a scatback and great WR not even dressed out. Our GM/HC have drafted and acquired hired guns so we compete at the very top level for at least 2-3 yrs. With our stocked draft picks, we are looking at some serious upgrades probably on OL, DL, DBs, LBs...but they may not start next yr. Coach Harbaugh is doing all this with a look to the future, as well as now. I think that includes alex and Kap.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by NONAME:
this.. I for one will become a fan of the team they end up on and ditch the loser niners

You shut your whore mouth

I visit this forum everyday, but I don't post much because I'm not a confrontational guy (see anything related to Alex Smith), but this made me laugh ridiculously hard for some reason lol.
I think this is the likely scenario unless Roman takes the Carolina job. If he takes the Carolina job, I feel really bad for the rest of the NFC South.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by NONAME:
this.. I for one will become a fan of the team they end up on and ditch the loser niners

You shut your whore mouth

I visit this forum everyday, but I don't post much because I'm not a confrontational guy (see anything related to Alex Smith), but this made me laugh ridiculously hard for some reason lol.

I giggled a tit myself
Share 49ersWebzone