That was fun.
1) Alex Smith/Colin Kaepernick: Since Smith didn't play, I'll forgo the regular tally numbers in favor of what will now be a full blown QB controversy in SF. I watch alot of Football. I haven't missed a 49ers game since 1988. I've seen alot of things...but I've never been as shocked as I was watching Kaep play the way he did last night. I have always really liked the kid, but I still thought he was too raw. This isn't a building team where you can bring a player up through his growing pains. This is a team trying to win it THIS year. This isn't a starter playing very poorly and the backup coming to the rescue (See Smith, Troy). This is the third highest rated passer in the NFL watching what just might be an arrival of the NFLs next superstar. I'm not usually given to get into they hype. I'm usually much more measured...but Kaep opened my eyes last night. I still don't know if he starts, but there is now no question in my mind that it isn't a question of if, it's a question of when he takes over the starting position. Make no mistake tho...it's not always going to be like last night. Kaep is going to struggle at times and he is going to turn the ball over. It was just one start and alot of players have looked really good for one game, but the accuracy with which he threw the ball, the calmness in which he played, and the way he was able to find his second and third recievers wa sincredible for a second year player on Monday Night Football against THAT defense. I think the consussion gives the 49ers an excuse to give Kaep a second start. If he plays anything like he did last night, I think that's all she wrote. My only hope is that the 49ers can keep Alex as a backup next year, but I doubt it. He has surprised me before tho.
2) Aldon Smith: Excuse my language but Holy Sh*tballs Batman!! That...was freaking amazing. He had 5.5 sacks and was pulled from the game with 9 minutes left. Justin had alot to do with helping him get free, but he had a bullrush last night that was a sight to behold. Un-freakin-believeable. Again...usually not given to getting caught up in the hype, but after searching for 2 decades, we may have found a guy BETTER than Charles Haley. He has a shot at the single season sack record. I honestly don't think he's gonna do it because he's gonna see 3 guys on him now, but he has arrived in a BIG way.
3) Navorro Bowman: OK, running out of adjectives here. WOW. All over the field. I dunno if it's scheme or what but he is outplaying Patrick Willis right now. I think Patrick spends more time in coverage and Bowman is typically closer to the line of scrimmage and that may be why Bowman falshes more often, but the simple fact that I even have to say that to DEFEND Willis is ludicrous. Just look at these LBs right now. These guys are better than the Saints Dome Patrol. Poor Ahmad Brooks is playing VERY well and he's just the 4th LB nobody talks about. These guys are downright historic....Aldon, Patrick, Navorro, and Ahmad. I need a poster to put on my wall.
4) O-Line: Another game, another team mauled into submission.
5) Justin Smith: In a way I almost feel bad for him even though I know he really doesn't care. He's getting to the QB. He is playing like a man posessed in the run game...he just never gets the numbers. Aldon is always a step ahead of him. Justin just created havoc on the line.
6) Offensive Gameplan: I love Greg Roman. I think he's gone after the season because he'll be a head coach somewhere. The Bears didn't have a clue what was coming next. I've been saying this for 2 years now. The 49ers are innovating in the run game. This isn't just a conventional running offense...this is game changing. This is the kind of stuff that is going to be replicated throughout the league. Sometimes tho it can be ugly...you end up with significant losses if it deosn't get blocked correctly, but when it hits, it hits BIG.
7) Crabtree: Not a huge night, but looked very good on only a few catches. He's been a monster after the catch in the past month. He's really looking like the guy we all thoguth he was a Texas Tech.
8) Vernon Davis: Welcome back Vernon. ;-)
9) Frank: Looking like a much younger player lately. Maybe he's finally gotten all the way back after the bum hip last year...I dunno, but he just has juice in those legs that I haven't seen in a few years. I don't know how much longer he's gonna be around, but if he keeps playing like he is now it's going to be for awhile.
10) Attitude: When the Niners get upset and fired up, they are a thing to behold. I don't know why, but from time to time they just seem to come out flat. When they are flat they get beat by the Vikings, get blown out by the Giants, and tie the Rams. When they come out fired up they beat the living hell out of their opponent. Every win this year has been an a$$kicking (outside of Seattle). The Packers game shouldn't have been that close...the Pack got a free BS score to make it close. The Lions were getting throttled until the very end. The Jets? The Bills? The Cardinals? The Bears? In those 4 games they outscored their opponents 135-13. It really is a thing to behold. This is why I can't wait for the playoffs. They WON'T come out flat in January.