LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 299 users in the forums

"We're gonna go with the hotter hand"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Wanting to see consistency is a reasonable thing though, one game is great and I loved it but knowing that he can do it week in and week out is something else. That's why I think there is a case to be made to let Alex have more time and give Kaep the start.

I do understand the desire to have him be the backup...IF he has been cleared. He looked dazed on the sideline though, even before there were any scores on either side. Dude just didn't look right and I think this is a point where you can afford to let him take his time getting back and give Kaep a chance to show us everything he's capable of.

But it's a catch 22. He has to play to demonstrate consistency. You say to let him play for a "few games", but how would he have to play to make a decision to put Smith back in? If we win, but he has a low QB rating, do we put Smith back in? If we lose, but he has a high QB rating, do we put Smith back in? It's too murky to decide over the course of a few games.
Kaep would have to be downright awful for him to be replaced after the game he just had against the Bears top rated defense. All Kaep has to do is play "par" and he will keep the job.

I would suggest start him for one more game, see what he's capable of, and if Alex is fully healthy and capable after that, put Alex back in. I am assuming that this changes the expected dynamic for the offseason in which we see a straight up QB battle between the two; that before that we will know who the starter is and the other will be out. Giving Kaep another game on film (and assuming he does well, which I expect him to) would increase his trade value. His trade value has to be way higher than Alex's; if you have two QBs that are both capable, why not get something in return for one of them if you're going to lose one anyway?

If Kaep does simply stay the starter, and we continue to win, there isn't really a controversy. One thing I would like to avoid is a QB carousel bouncing from one guy to another Singletary-style...which is probably why Smith will be back at #1 on the depth chart sooner rather than later.

IF Kaep plays this week, AND he plays well, he stays in there for the next ten years.
Wanting to see consistency is a reasonable thing though, one game is great and I loved it but knowing that he can do it week in and week out is something else. That's why I think there is a case to be made to let Alex have more time and give Kaep the start.

I do understand the desire to have him be the backup...IF he has been cleared. He looked dazed on the sideline though, even before there were any scores on either side. Dude just didn't look right and I think this is a point where you can afford to let him take his time getting back and give Kaep a chance to show us everything he's capable of.

But it's a catch 22. He has to play to demonstrate consistency. You say to let him play for a "few games", but how would he have to play to make a decision to put Smith back in? If we win, but he has a low QB rating, do we put Smith back in? If we lose, but he has a high QB rating, do we put Smith back in? It's too murky to decide over the course of a few games.
Kaep would have to be downright awful for him to be replaced after the game he just had against the Bears top rated defense. All Kaep has to do is play "par" and he will keep the job.

I would suggest start him for one more game, see what he's capable of, and if Alex is fully healthy and capable after that, put Alex back in. I am assuming that this changes the expected dynamic for the offseason in which we see a straight up QB battle between the two; that before that we will know who the starter is and the other will be out. Giving Kaep another game on film (and assuming he does well, which I expect him to) would increase his trade value. His trade value has to be way higher than Alex's; if you have two QBs that are both capable, why not get something in return for one of them if you're going to lose one anyway?

If Kaep does simply stay the starter, and we continue to win, there isn't really a controversy. One thing I would like to avoid is a QB carousel bouncing from one guy to another Singletary-style...which is probably why Smith will be back at #1 on the depth chart sooner rather than later.

IF Kaep plays this week, AND he plays well, he stays in there for the next ten years.

Knowing that, Smith will probably push to get cleared and will start. He's a good soldier but he's also a competitor and wants to play. He has to be hearing footsteps right now, and how can you not feel bad for him? That being said, you're right, if Kaep gets the start and plays like we know he can the job is his to lose.
I'm old school, been a fan since the Y.A. era. Seen many quarterbacks come and go. This Kaep is something special, he brings more to the table than Alex. He's like a matador with on coming lineman, they get close and it almost seems like he's playing with them and then takes off. He's got a big time gun and he throws a long ball with touch. I was one to always say that you can't lose your position through injury. However, in this New Age NFL rookie Qbs are starting from day one in training camp. For Harbaugh to name him starter would be a reach in most peoples minds. The stars may be in alignmrent for this kid at this time and in this place. I for one don't know. Let's see what happens when Coach Harbaugh looks in his crystal ball.
Harbaugh is just trying not to hurt Smith's feelings. After all Smith did a lot of ass kissing caddying for Harbaugh holding his hand driving in the Giants world series parade etc...etc.

The hotter hand is clearly the guy who can throw the lasers and the 100mph fastballs (Keap). If Smith weren't such a sensitive dude it would be open that Keap is starting. I don't know how to deny that Keapernick is the better all around QB. The guy actually makes ....get this.... MORE THAN ONE READ!? Is that possible? More than one read and then hits the receiver the play wasn't designed for? I have heard of this before but Keapernick actually did it he must be super human. There are tales of the mythical Tom Brady making multiple reads to make the play but now we have real evidence of it and video proof.

He gets rid of the ball quick and holy crap..... what did I just see? Oh man he doesn't telegraph his reads!? In Alex's case it would be simply his read...not reads...but you get my point.

I also enjoyed the fact that those throws had so much heat on them that the camera couldn't keep up. Receivers were amazed that the ball was already in their hands.

Seriously though I love our fresh 2nd round pick and really hope that he gets to command the offense. He deserves at least the opportunity, if he screws up then give the team back to old one read.
[ Edited by BayArea on Nov 20, 2012 at 4:11 AM ]
Originally posted by BayArea:
Harbaugh is just trying not to hurt Smith's feelings. After all Smith did a lot of ass kissing caddying for Harbaugh holding his hand driving in the Giants world series parade etc...etc.

The hotter hand is clearly the guy who can throw the lasers and the 100mph fastballs (Keap). If Smith weren't such a sensitive dude it would be open that Keap is starting. I don't know how to deny that Keapernick is the better all around QB. The guy actually makes ....get this.... MORE THAN ONE READ!? Is that possible? More than one read and then hits the receiver the play wasn't designed for? I have heard of this before but Keapernick actually did it he must be super human. There are tales of the mythical Tom Brady making multiple reads to make the play but now we have real evidence of it and video proof.

He gets rid of the ball quick and holy crap..... what did I just see? Oh man he doesn't telegraph his reads!? In Alex's case it would be simply his read...not reads...but you get my point.

I also enjoyed the fact that those throws had so much heat on them that the camera couldn't keep up. Receivers were amazed that the ball was already in their hands.

Seriously though I love our fresh 2nd round pick and really hope that he gets to command the offense. He deserves at least the opportunity, if he screws up then give the team back to old one read.

geez, kick a man when he's down why doncha
Originally posted by BayArea:

geez, kick a man when he's down why doncha

Sorry over excited... lol
game and a half each

27-40 260 yards 2td no int kap

25-27 304 yards 4td no int smith

i dont see a contraversy i just see out back up is more than capable of doing his job when need
is he our future stats say yea but lets not bench capt checkdown just yet
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
I like what I've seen of Kaep already - and still to watch the game being in the UK! - but in terms of consistency, one of the big issues with Alex is that he hasn't been consistent this year. He's had some awesome games and then some absolute howlers, and that makes it very difficult to argue that the problem with starting a young QB is consistency when your 8 year vet starting QB has been up and down like a rollercoaster.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Buchy:
I like what I've seen of Kaep already - and still to watch the game being in the UK! - but in terms of consistency, one of the big issues with Alex is that he hasn't been consistent this year. He's had some awesome games and then some absolute howlers, and that makes it very difficult to argue that the problem with starting a young QB is consistency when your 8 year vet starting QB has been up and down like a rollercoaster.

The only "absolute howler" Alex had this year was when he played injured against the Giants. He had a few other performances that were sub-par but not awful and in his other games he's been incredible.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Plain and simple..play kaep untill alex is 100% healthy...damn, why is this so
Hard to grasp

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
While having two capable QB's on the team is a good thing, this could easily split the locker room in half. VD has vocalized his vote, I'm sure others will too. If Smith gets the starts and doesn't produce the way CK did/could, the locker room could get pretty ugly. Wish Harbaugh hadn't said what he said, but oh well.

PS, I couldn't believe what I saw out of CK last night. Played like a seasoned vet.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dmax:
Plain and simple..play kaep untill alex is 100% healthy...damn, why is this so
Hard to grasp

Probably what's going to happen.
Kaepernick play great last night, passing the ball, he can definitely compete for the starting job, though the 9er def play one of the best game this season and the ST wasn't too far behind. Some Kaepernick throws were over thrown like Alex Smith's also. It was a similar game to the AZ game, where Alex Smith light it up.

Kaepernick will have to prove if the 49ers is behind for whatever reason (defense and or ST not playing well, or there are turnovers, or the opposing team scores more) can Kaepernick come from behind and win a close game? Also, at this point Kaepernick doesn't have any play-off experience.

We'll find out if Kaepernick starts vs the Saints and the 9ers gets behind in points with Brees lighting up the scoreboard, can Kaepernick rally the team and come back.
However now Kaepernick showed he can pass the ball and move the offense, if Alex Smith plays and doesn't do well, Alex Smith will be on a tighter leash. Nothing Alex Smith hasn't faced before in previous seasons though.
[ Edited by HOF49er on Nov 20, 2012 at 5:23 AM ]
I don't think the Bears expected him to throw the ball that well, so they game planned to stop our running backs and the quarterback from running the ball. I would be curious to see if the Saints game plan for the way he played this game, could they stop him and could he adjust to what they throw at him. If he can do that and still play well with a good pass rush against him, then I like his upside a lot better than Smith.
Seriously though Alex looks good when he faces crap defenses or injured defenses. Whenever he gets up against a formidable opponent we get embarrassed. Keap when up against a foe that should have crushed him stood tall. Hi first effing start. Sorry but no chance I would bench him now. I am not going to hate on Smith but Keap has far too much proven talent to sit on a bench behind a mediocre QB. We got a real shot of having an elite signal caller here.
Share 49ersWebzone