LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 202 users in the forums

"We're gonna go with the hotter hand"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm surprised he said that. I'm equally surprised how far along Kaep is from last year. Last season he looked totally lost to me in preseason when we did see him. This year I did notice there was a progressin with Kaep from first preseason game to the last. Better every game out of the 4 of them. He seemd to be getting it. Then we used him a lot in "Wild - Kaep." He looked pretty good at that but it was tough to see his overall QB development. Until he got a full game. He's night and day from last year. Just a much more capable and confident QB.

Alex has actually played really well. Better in some ways than 2011. And 2011 up to that time was his best ever. I think we have 2 QB's playing at a high level which is a good problem to have.

There is no denying Kaep has the highest upside of anybody on the team. It does need to be said Alex hasn't really done anything wrong. He got better and better (Alex) in 2011 and continued in 2012. Low turnovers, wins, playoffs, best QB ratings of his career, high completion percentage. Kaep can just push the ball down the field better. But Kaep will make some young QB mistakes because defenses will start to catch up to him when they get a book on him. It's a tough decision. Harbaugh knows QB's better than any of us. So if he feels Kaep is ready then he knows. If he feels it's still Alex for 2012 then I trust him.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 20, 2012 at 12:28 AM ]
Harbaugh holding his cards close. Both of them are hot.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Mods are going to have fun cleaning up this mess.

This will not end well
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'm surprised he said that. I'm equally surprised how far along Kaep is from last year. Last season he looked totally lost to me in preseason when we did see him. This year I did notice there was a progressin with Kaep from first preseason game to the last. Better every game out of the 4 of them. He seemd to be getting it. Then we used him a lot in "Wild - Kaep." He looked pretty good at that but it was tough to see his overall QB development. Until he got a full game. He's night and day from last year. Just a much more capable and confident QB.

Alex has actually played really well. Better in some ways than 2011. And 2011 up to that time was his best ever. I think we have 2 QB's playing at a high level which is a good problem to have.

There is no denying Kaep has the highest upside of anybody on the team. It does need to be said Alex hasn't really done anything wrong. He got better and better (Alex) in 2011 and continued in 2012. Low turnovers, wins, playoffs, best QB ratings of his career, high completion percentage. Kaep can just push the ball down the field better. But Kaep will make some young QB mistakes because defenses will start to catch up to him when they get a book on him. It's a tough decision. Harbaugh knows QB's better than any of us. So if he feels Kaep is ready then he knows. If he feels it's still Alex for 2012 then I trust him.

Great post
Originally posted by captveg:

Great post

I think that is pretty much where it's at all totalled.
Colin....whoa......

But if smith is healthy=starter

/thread.
Originally posted by captveg:

Great post

I think that is pretty much where it's at all totalled.

In Harbaugh I trust
Originally posted by forty9ers:
if Kaep can torch the Bears defense, just think what he can do vs. the sorry ass saints defense

yes, but the saints are hot right now. Brees is hot, plus, they have a RUNNING game now with Chris Ivory and Ingram.

Watch out, the saints are balanced on offense now.
the Bears didnt have any tape on Kapp, and they got their first look at him live. Saints now have tape and will use it to game plan. I was worried about our D not having any tape on Campbell to game plan on, but on the night the 9ers were the better D and better back up.

Its back to Smith. Slow and steady as she goes. Kapp will come in handy and answer the call when his number comes up. And thats a good feeling for all, knowing that your backup can step in and do the job.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
the Bears didnt have any tape on Kapp, and they got their first look at him live. Saints now have tape and will use it to game plan. I was worried about our D not having any tape on Campbell to game plan on, but on the night the 9ers were the better D and better back up.

Its back to Smith. Slow and steady as she goes. Kapp will come in handy and answer the call when his number comes up. And thats a good feeling for all, knowing that your backup can step in and take the job.

Fixed.

Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Originally posted by forty9ers:
if Kaep can torch the Bears defense, just think what he can do vs. the sorry ass saints defense

yes, but the saints are hot right now. Brees is hot, plus, they have a RUNNING game now with Chris Ivory and Ingram.

Watch out, the saints are balanced on offense now.

Which means we had better score early and often.

BTW, against the Bears top defense, we scored on our first four possessions. Last time that happened? 2002, when pro-bowler Jeff Garcia was our quarterback.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Start Kap this Sunday and give Alex another week to mend, then decide on the starter going foward next week.
Originally posted by tony2cool4u2k1:
we already know what alex smith can do. He's a game manager who just happened to ride a hot defense and running game to the 'ship last season. yes, he did lead a comeback victory against the Saints in the playoffs but he was HORRIBLE in the game vs the Giants. This year he has regressed and wasn't looking very good against the Rams He took too many sacks and got flustered way too easily. Time for Kaepernick to take over. At least reward the guy for having a good game. Did you all see the enthusiasm that our offensive players had for him when they caught those passes? AS can't make those and i'm not a hater. Just being realistic that's all.

THIS...
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ace49ers:

Its back to Smith. Slow and steady as she goes. Kapp will come in handy and answer the call when his number comes up. And thats a good feeling for all, knowing that your backup can step in and do the job.

The Bears also play a very predictable defense, as Kaep even admitted after the game. Yes, they are normally great at it and mad props to Kaep for shredding them, but they are not a team that poses many tough defensive reads.
The only thing I will say is, this could be bad for Alex Smith.

If AS gets the start there is now more pressure BC his career in SF and in general is on the line .

I think you tell the doctors not to clear AS (Idk if that's possible) so there's no lockerroom drama. If he has another break out game you go in another direction.
Its just sad BC the pressure is on both players now. I hope CK is a true winner and can handle the pressure. I really don't know how this will unfold but everyone you better (insert get your popcorn ready video with TO)
Share 49ersWebzone