There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Official Aldon Smith's High Speed Car Chase to the Sack Record

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by tankle104:
true. i believe aldon is a far superior player as purely talking bout pass rushing but to be honest id love to have a player like JJ Watt cause he can do anything that his position asks and he can do it unbelievably well. miller is really good too. i honestly feel like he is a lil overrated but i havent really watched him play enough to judge him about that.

16 sacks, six forced-fumbles, an INT, and absolute beast defending the run. Again, I love Aldon, but he is not as complete as these other guys. Sure he can be one day, but he is not there yet.

Miller and Watt are having great seasons, but in a era of pass-happy offenses, sacks are becoming game changers. And Aldon is the best around at that. He may not win the DPOY but the world is on watch. We have the next Reggie White, Derrick Thomas, Demarcus Ware

No doubt.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
He was close to having 4 sacks today. One he got robbed on a hold. and the other he just couldnt quite hold on. impressive.

Agree. I sure hope he can get it in the next couple of weeks and just pad the stats in week 17.
  • buck
  • Veteran
true. i believe aldon is a far superior player as purely talking bout pass rushing but to be honest id love to have a player like JJ Watt cause he can do anything that his position asks and he can do it unbelievably well. miller is really good too. i honestly feel like he is a lil overrated but i havent really watched him play enough to judge him about that.

16 sacks, six forced-fumbles, an INT, and absolute beast defending the run. Again, I love Aldon, but he is not as complete as these other guys. Sure he can be one day, but he is not there yet.

Aldon Smith and Von Miller have 57 tackles so far this season. Geno Atkins has 40 and JJ Watt has 60.

Von Miller has 6 forced fumbles. Aldon Smith and Geno Atkins have 3. JJ Watt has 1.

Aldon has 19.5 sacks. Watt has 16.5. Miller has 16. Atkins has 10.5

Are you really sure that Aldon is not as complete a player as these other guys.

Watt has one more game to play so his numbers will go up.

edit::
What's noteworthy is that, as an outside linebacker in the 49ers 3-4 scheme, he doesn't rush the passer on every pass play. In fact, Smith dropped into coverage on eight of the Dolphins' 33 pass plays on Sunday. He even covered receiver Devon Bess in the slot a few times.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/12/film-review-what-makes-aldon-smiths-achievement-even-more-remarkable.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy
[ Edited by buck on Dec 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM ]
calling it right now he breaks the record on snf vs Brady.
Originally posted by buck:
Aldon Smith and Von Miller have 57 tackles so far this season. Geno Atkins has 40 and JJ Watt has 60.

Von Miller has 6 forced fumbles. Aldon Smith and Geno Atkins have 3. JJ Watt has 1.

Positive. Stat sheet aside, if you watch Von Miller play you'll see that he plays the run much better than Aldon, and is also able to cover very well. Aldon is a great pass rusher, so-so run stopper, and a liability in coverage. I'm aware that all these things can be fixed with time and experience, which is why I said those guys are more complete players "right now."
Originally posted by susweel:

I think that Pats are smart enough to bring extra help to the left side. If he can just get 1 or 1.5 I would call it a good day
  • buck
  • Veteran
Positive. Stat sheet aside, if you watch Von Miller play you'll see that he plays the run much better than Aldon, and is also able to cover very well. Aldon is a great pass rusher, so-so run stopper, and a liability in coverage. I'm aware that all these things can be fixed with time and experience, which is why I said those guys are more complete players "right now."

Odd. Those guys are more than just Von Miller. Those guys included Watt, Atkins, Miller, and Smith.

I give a short summary of the stats of Smith and those guys.

Stats that clearly indicate that Aldon Smith and those guys are very similar players.

Now, it seems that you are only comparing Von Miller and Smith. In your original post you gave us Von Millers sack numbers.

Now, we should set the stat sheet aside.

I have watched Von Miller play. I think both him and Aldon Smith are great players, but I do not think Aldon is any less complete.

You have your opinion. I have mine. We differ. No big deal.
[ Edited by buck on Dec 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:

That would be sooooooooo awesome.
Odd you listed Von Miller sack stats. I give a short summary that includes more of their stats. Stats that indicate they are very similar players.

Now, we should set the stat sheet aside.

You have your opinion. I have mine. We differ. No big deal.

I'm not saying totally ignore the stats. They are, after all the reason why we are even having this conversation. I'm only saying that you have to consider the other factors that went into my first reply about Von Miller being the more complete player.

only thing i would wonder is if aldon can maintain his dominant play when he doesnt have someone like justin smith playing next to him
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kujon11:
only thing i would wonder is if aldon can maintain his dominant play when he doesnt have someone like justin smith playing next to him

Who knows??
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
HEY MODS, SLAP SOME RED ON THIS! LET"S MAKE IT OFFICIAL!

Who knows??

that's the thing, jj watt and von miller don't have that benefit
that's the thing, jj watt and von miller don't have that benefit

They might not have someone like Justin Smith, but it's not like the other players on their lines are scrubs.
Aldon now has more sacks this season alone than Manny Lawson has in his entire 7 year career.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home