There are 364 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Aubrayo Franklin principle.

Goldson should learn from Franklin. In 2010 Franklin was franchised for 7 million. He refused to work out a long term deal. He finished the season and entered free-agency. He failed to land a contract. He now makes 825,000 a year the vet minimum. He made the same last year. Instead of signing a reasonable contract 4-5 million a year, for say 4-5 years he now makes less than a million a year. He should have doubled his pay. If Goldson is franchised again this year, he will play his first year for his new team at 30 years old. For DBs that is old. It is very unlikely he will see a big dollar contract. Given the push to retain our defense, I think we will franchise him. Really Goldson holds few cards to force a long term deal. As for Sopoaga, he will see a vet minimum 1 year contract.
Like the way Goldson has played for sure, but good post. I hope for him to be reasonable and stick around for less than he wants.
Last year he had few suitors, if any. While I like the way he is playing there are enough personal penalties and silliness for some teams to shy away. Good advice LBS.
Good Point. Very true about Abrayo. We sure could use him to give Sope & Mac some plays off
Difference is, Franklin was never very good. He's was coached to play his role effectively and once he left, he went back to being an average/mediocre player.

Goldson is one of the top safeties in the league and a punishing tackler. He'll be a hot commodity in the offseason.
I would never send my kid to a school where Aubrayo Franklin was principal
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Goldson should learn from Franklin. In 2010 Franklin was franchised for 7 million. He refused to work out a long term deal. He finished the season and entered free-agency. He failed to land a contract. He now makes 825,000 a year the vet minimum. He made the same last year. Instead of signing a reasonable contract 4-5 million a year, for say 4-5 years he now makes less than a million a year. He should have doubled his pay. If Goldson is franchised again this year, he will play his first year for his new team at 30 years old. For DBs that is old. It is very unlikely he will see a big dollar contract. Given the push to retain our defense, I think we will franchise him. Really Goldson holds few cards to force a long term deal. As for Sopoaga, he will see a vet minimum 1 year contract.


Good Post. Goldson went through the process and, most importantly, he's a year older. It's a postion teams fill in the draft. Safeties will never see the money left OT's or pass rushers or qbs see. Franklin is a case in point. I'm stoked on Goldson, he's the closest thing to Ronnie we've had. Take the money and run, don't take the chance of being left out int he cold.
Originally posted by strickac:
Difference is, Franklin was never very good. He's was coached to play his role effectively and once he left, he went back to being an average/mediocre player.

Goldson is one of the top safeties in the league and a punishing tackler. He'll be a hot commodity in the offseason.

This..... Goldson is a hard hitting safetie We must sigh him !
Originally posted by strickac:
Difference is, Franklin was never very good. He's was coached to play his role effectively and once he left, he went back to being an average/mediocre player.

Goldson is one of the top safeties in the league and a punishing tackler. He'll be a hot commodity in the offseason.

Ive tried telling people that Franklin really wasnt that good. He had one good season and people were acting like he was the best NT in football. Its not surprising whats happened to him.
Goldson has shown flashes of being very good his whole career.
Speaking of NTs, Sopoaga isn't much better than Franklin. He's a solid starter, but RJF isn't too far behind. I like RJF's potential. Sopoaga has flashed a few times, but he's not vital to the defense. RJF is the smarter, cheaper option moving forward
Originally posted by strickac:
Speaking of NTs, Sopoaga isn't much better than Franklin. He's a solid starter, but RJF isn't too far behind. I like RJF's potential. Sopoaga has flashed a few times, but he's not vital to the defense. RJF is the smarter, cheaper option moving forward

Sopoaga is a much better 3-4 NT than Franklin was. Hes still better than RJF is too. I like RJF but dont feel real comfortable with having him as our full time starter. I hope he can be though. Im all for getting a NT in the first 2 rounds.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by strickac:
Speaking of NTs, Sopoaga isn't much better than Franklin. He's a solid starter, but RJF isn't too far behind. I like RJF's potential. Sopoaga has flashed a few times, but he's not vital to the defense. RJF is the smarter, cheaper option moving forward

Sopoaga is a much better 3-4 NT than Franklin was. Hes still better than RJF is too. I like RJF but dont feel real comfortable with having him as our full time starter. I hope he can be though. Im all for getting a NT in the first 2 rounds.

RJF is already taking Soap's snaps. It looks like he's slowly being phased in. Financially, I like the move because we wouldn't have a drop in production and RJF appears to have a much higher ceiling. As for depth, we need some better talent (2nd-5th round).
Originally posted by strickac:
RJF is already taking Soap's snaps. It looks like he's slowly being phased in. Financially, I like the move because we wouldn't have a drop in production and RJF appears to have a much higher ceiling. As for depth, we need some better talent (2nd-5th round).

I havent seen him in there much. He only has 4 tackles this season. Soap only goes out when they go to nickel defense.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by strickac:
Difference is, Franklin was never very good. He's was coached to play his role effectively and once he left, he went back to being an average/mediocre player.

Goldson is one of the top safeties in the league and a punishing tackler. He'll be a hot commodity in the offseason.

Ive tried telling people that Franklin really wasnt that good. He had one good season and people were acting like he was the best NT in football. Its not surprising whats happened to him.
Goldson has shown flashes of being very good his whole career.


The point is not to compare Franklin to Goldson. Your point that Goldson is better than Franklin is obvious. The point is that Goldson will be 30 before he reaches freeagency due to the high probability that we franchise him again. Not so good for landing big contracts. I suspect this spring we franchise him and he will sign for similar money to Weddle. Weddle has similar numbers and is 2 years younger than Goldson.
Originally posted by ninermedic:
I would never send my kid to a school where Aubrayo Franklin was principal

hahha lol ... still laughing
...