LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 248 users in the forums

I wanna see more trick plays

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's ALWAYS good to have a few in your hand to use when nobody's expecting it.

Think Saints onside kick in SBowl against Colts.

BUT it isn't something we can rely on.
Originally posted by mayo49:
More screen plays. They work.

only if one of the four OL in front of Gore actually blocks someone. I like screens, we just tend to screw them up.

I generally hate trick plays. Most of the trickiness happens behind the line of scrimmage.
Didn't the Niners try a HB pass with Gore in OT a few plays before Akers missed the FG? They ran a sweep and it sure looked like Gore wanted to throw. Wound up losing 3 or 4 yards on the play.

If they run a traditional handoff, the Niners probably gain a few yards, so that's a 5-yard swing (in hindsight). Maybe that helps Akers with the FG--who knows.

When I saw that play I immediately thought Harbaugh tried to 1 up Fisher's two fake punts. And if that's the case he needs to keep his ego in check.

Im fine with well designed misdirection, but can do without the "trick-er-ation"

Blake_Fever
I'd rather watch a consistently good team that didn't need to resort to trick plays.

But we're not getting that, either.
Here you go
  • Chico
  • Veteran
I agree! The offense is a power running offense and it's great that we are winning. But, it would be nice to throw in a trick play to throw off the defenses and keep them honest. The Randy Moss catch & run against the Tards was fun to watch. Trap to the right, Trap to the left is getting booooooooring!

But, in the end...Winning is everything!
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Trick plays are for bad teams.

Like the fake FG to Crabtree @ St. Louis last year?

or a fake punt throw to a Center( Goodwin) for a long TD pass last year?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Trickeration! The enemy of a quality offense is getting cute. Our offense does do trick plays, but they are not of the typical variety, we've tried or one or two flea-flickers and reverses on kickoffs, regular reverses, the wildkaep as they call it.

Trick plays will not get us to the superbowl, stay true to our offensive and defensive philosophies will get us there.
Trick plays are for desperate teams like the Rams who looked like they wanted a win against the 49ers so badly they pulled out 2 trick plays against us.

I think we suck at trick plays. If it's a flea flicker, it ends in a sack. Reverses end in 10 yard losses. We're a north-south type of team. No need to get cute. Our team is so well coached, they don't need that crap. We win because of better execution and better talent. Simple as that.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I think we suck at trick plays. If it's a flea flicker, it ends in a sack. Reverses end in 10 yard losses. We're a north-south type of team. No need to get cute. Our team is so well coached, they don't need that crap. We win because of better execution and better talent. Simple as that.

We've run a few reverses/end arounds with Rio that have worked pretty well actually
no......you dont.
run the rock, play solid special teams and the d should be stout enough to get most wins for them.

i'm even glad they cut down on all those fly sweeps that they ran last year.
Share 49ersWebzone