There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 10: Thoughts after rewatching the Rams game....

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I guess I would be worried that Brooks would wear down on the line. He's big for an OLB, but not for a DE. I think going head to head with guys the size of Anthony Davis week in and week out could cause injury. I know he faces RT now, but he's engaging more on his terms, I believe. Its not so much smashing into each other. I could be wrong though.

Nah, Brooks has been taking on doubles of RT's and RB/TE's for years now. He knows how to disengage, seal the edge and force RB's inside...can chase down the LOS, make TFL, knock down passes, etc. I'd be much more worried about Aldon on the edge if a team decided to run at him for most of the game. It might be a little harder for Brooks b/c he typically lines up @ the LOS standing up, outside the T (where he can seal or rush). In a 4-3, he'd be over the T with his hand in the ground; would have to tweak his first step a little more and play off the DT more rather than being on an island.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by NCommand:
That's been my solution literally, since Vince Wilfork went to NE instead of us...every single year!

Sure I don't have to tell you how difficult it is to find a Vince Wilfork in the draft. That's why 3-4 teams have gone to a 1-gap scheme. Finding that 2-gap plugger that can take multiple OL and hold the POA plus get some push up the middle on pass plays? Yeah.. few do that well enough.

Going 4-3 eliminates the need to sign Sopo or find a new NT. Years ago when I suggested 4-3.. people said, "hey, it's just as hard to find a quality 4-3 RE as it is to find a quality NT." While that may be true? We already have the young studly 4-3 RE.

Truuuuuuuue!
Our Coordinators better get their act together down this home stretch. Some of the call are against all norm. Why were we playing man coverage yesterday? Our CBs are not that good to cover man and thats how the Rams got some good plays on us. Im ready to fly out there and light a fire under someones a$$ if i have to.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I don't think Alex getting hurt cost them the win. It was Akers blowing an easy field goal. The defense playing poorly is what got them there in the first place, but bottom line: if Akers doesn't choke, we win. Kaepernick led them to the comeback Brady-style (letting the kicker win the game) and our kicker couldn't get it done.

Akers has been terrible this year outside of that 63-yarder. Just awful.

I don't think he meant alex getting hurt cost us the game. I think he meant if Alex was in Akers would never have been in that posistion in the first place.
Originally posted by Fisherniner:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I don't think Alex getting hurt cost them the win. It was Akers blowing an easy field goal. The defense playing poorly is what got them there in the first place, but bottom line: if Akers doesn't choke, we win. Kaepernick led them to the comeback Brady-style (letting the kicker win the game) and our kicker couldn't get it done.

Akers has been terrible this year outside of that 63-yarder. Just awful.

I don't think he meant alex getting hurt cost us the game. I think he meant if Alex was in Akers would never have been in that posistion in the first place.

Bingo
What about Ray Mac? I think he'd be better on the edge than Brooks if it was full time.

Willis- Bowman- Brooks

A.Smith-J.Smith-Soap-Mac

Looks pretty dangerous. Still, not very excited as I feel like we are wasting Willis and Bowman somehow. We might be better of just getting a big bodied 3-4 nose tackle in next years draft.

That's been my solution literally, since Vince Wilfork went to NE instead of us...every single year!

As to Brooks at SAM and McDonald at LDE in the 4-3, you typically want smaller guys like Grant out at SAM as they will be covering more ground laterally. And your DT's in the 4-3 tend to be more slashing types (think of BY). That's McDonald. Brooks is ideal at LDE b/c he's stellar at sealing the edge (and can pass rush too and would have more 1on1's) and he would allow Grant to play in space more freely and with McDonald inside, his game can get back to that slasher role where he can use his quickness to burst through gaps and make plays in the backfield vs. taking on two guys to free up Brooks/Bowman. But I think Brooks is too big for a 4-3 SAM and McDonald isn't really a pure edge rusher at around 290-300 and it's not really his strength IMHO.

I guess I would be worried that Brooks would wear down on the line. He's big for an OLB, but not for a DE. I think going head to head with guys the size of Anthony Davis week in and week out could cause injury. I know he faces RT now, but he's engaging more on his terms, I believe. Its not so much smashing into each other. I could be wrong though.

The idea might be to use Brooks at end on pass rushing downs and sub in a bigger guy for run downs. The problem would be playing against teams that can play no huddle, which would freeze the personnel. I've been won over by the 3/4 folks as it can morph into a 4/3, 5/2, etc. really easily. The 4/3 could as well so it is a matter of comfort level with personnel. How many DEs or OLBs do you keep?

The 9ers are very strong right now at MLB but lack depth elsewhere due to injuries or lack of experience. I am very skeptical about Aldon Smith in coverage and that limits the flexibility of 3/4 concept. I believe the MLBs have to cheat over and help cover Aldon's side. Realistically, Aldon should be one dimensional...attack the QB.

My biggest concern right now is that the D seems predictable. There are few blitzes and when they do blitz they don't get to the QB. Not sure why except that when you don't emphasize something it is not as sharp as those things that are emphasized.
So far this season :

Win, Win, LOSS,

Win, Win, LOSS,

Win, Win, TIE

All the losses and the tie looked the same kind of, they got beat by teams with bruising backs. We managed to beat the Seahawks, but they are not good on the road at ALL. At home however, very different story. Do the niners have any chance there with how the Seahawks play at home? I can't believe I have to ask that.

Anyway, the rest of the season kind of looks like it just might continue this trend of WIN, WIN, NOT WIN if they keep up this pattern:

Bears (Forte/Bush), Saints (Thomas/Ivory), Rams (Jackson)

Dolphins (Bush), Patriots (Ridley), Seahawks (Lynch)

Cardinals (whoever's healthy)
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Nov 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM ]
Marvin,
Gore raised my eyebrows more than Colin did. He looked awesome and as fresh as a rookie.
Our run defense wasnt as strong as it should be , I hope our D-line isnt getting wore down , if so , Dobbs and RJF need more snaps to keep the D-line fresh
Originally posted by Marvin49:
A bit late on this one.

3) Run D: I'm seeing a trend. The Niners are having issues with stong, violent backs. We've seen it with Adrian Peterson, Ahmad Bradshaw (not big, but violent), Marshawn Lynch, and now Steven Jackson. I hate to put it this way, but it's almost like those guys soften them up. Perhaps there is an issue with being undersized? I don't think so, but it makes me wonder. Also, this isn't a huge issue, they just aren't dominating in this category as they have in the past with the same players.

4) Aldon: Great game, but something the announcer said bugged me at first...until I realized he might be right. He was saying that 80% of Aldons sacks came on that Justin-Aldon stunt they run. The more I thought about it, the more I realized it was true. He got both of them in this game in that same play and one of them against Arizona. It's not really a concern so much...I'm just curious what happens when Justin's not around anymore. Hrmmm.

on #3: I think a lot of it is the mentality of the running back saying "we're not afraid of the big bad wolf." It's not just being going against the physically tough, but also the mentally tough. That's related to the freddy p soft thing...... our mindset is you can't run it on us.... the opponent is saying, i don't care. that plus the D line under performing...........

on #4: i know what the announcer meant, but i think he's was exaggerating the 80%. aldon's been beating 1v1 and 1v2 this season.
With the new info on Coach's cardiac arrhythmia, it brings up an interesting question. Could he possibly have looked so different in coaching style, both O and D in the two games we lost plus the tie, That perhaps he was truely not himself, as in AF,( atrial fibrillation), where not all atrial beats get to the ventricles, thus causing less oxygen to get to the brain...could that have possibly been why Coach looked so out of sync in the 2 losses and 1 tie?....ie, he called bad games because whe wasn't working with all his brain capacity? Interesting thot to ruminate on....
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Sure I don't have to tell you how difficult it is to find a Vince Wilfork in the draft. That's why 3-4 teams have gone to a 1-gap scheme. Finding that 2-gap plugger that can take multiple OL and hold the POA plus get some push up the middle on pass plays? Yeah.. few do that well enough.

Going 4-3 eliminates the need to sign Sopo or find a new NT. Years ago when I suggested 4-3.. people said, "hey, it's just as hard to find a quality 4-3 RE as it is to find a quality NT." While that may be true? We already have the young studly 4-3 RE.

Truuuuuuuue!

When we talked about this last time in earnest on this board we did not have Aldon. Maybe it is something to consider. But I am not excited about patric becoming a full time OLB.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Nov 15, 2012 at 10:26 PM ]
Our problem isn't scheme, talent, or players dropping off. We lost 1 huge thing we had last year, and that was swag. I hate that word but I think it fits appropiately in this case. I just don't sense the "We got this" mentality from the players and often times every play I am hoping we get positive yards or a stop on defense. I never did that once last year. The last time I had to pray that we do good was when we were losing all those years. We have won 6 games on pure talent alone, but not since week 2 have our wins felt complete. I don't know how Harbaugh is going to get it back, but he needs to. Swag/confidence/luck/whatever you want to call it needs to come back to finish out this year and carry it into the playoffs for a playoff run.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
With the new info on Coach's cardiac arrhythmia, it brings up an interesting question. Could he possibly have looked so different in coaching style, both O and D in the two games we lost plus the tie, That perhaps he was truely not himself, as in AF,( atrial fibrillation), where not all atrial beats get to the ventricles, thus causing less oxygen to get to the brain...could that have possibly been why Coach looked so out of sync in the 2 losses and 1 tie?....ie, he called bad games because whe wasn't working with all his brain capacity? Interesting thot to ruminate on....

I don't think so man, that's a bit of a stretch. There are other coaches you know who have their input during games and i'm sure they would tell Jim if he was about to do something stupid. Plus Fangio calls the D and Roman for the most part calls the O. Those losses and the tie were team losses and the players just didn't perform those games.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

I don't think so man, that's a bit of a stretch. There are other coaches you know who have their input during games and i'm sure they would tell Jim if he was about to do something stupid. Plus Fangio calls the D and Roman for the most part calls the O. Those losses and the tie were team losses and the players just didn't perform those games.