LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 212 users in the forums

Does Anthony Dixon really have much value on the Special Teams unit?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
None. We got rid of Costanzo and Colin Jones to keep Dixon and Jocobs....
brilliant, we have regressed bit time. even i can connect those dots
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
Dixon has a lot of value to the team on special teams and as a backup running back

you would think he would show by now would you not? he is a waste of a roster space

do some of you just ignore when he DOES show it? I mean the team needed him, so they could rest Gore and Hunter at the end of the Jets game. He didn't fumble, he got a 1st down to help run more time off the clock...and he got a TD.

THAT was his opportunity so far this year during the regular season....he fought his way into keeping his ACTIVE roster spot, by performing well in the preseason against starters.
well if he did do well in the pre season it must have been a mirage cuz on special teams he and every other player has blowed goats for the northwestern railroad. and i am sorry but scoring a td in garbage time in a blow out does not justify him having a roster space for next year
Dixon has a lot of value to the team on special teams and as a backup running back

you would think he would show by now would you not? he is a waste of a roster space

do some of you just ignore when he DOES show it? I mean the team needed him, so they could rest Gore and Hunter at the end of the Jets game. He didn't fumble, he got a 1st down to help run more time off the clock...and he got a TD.

THAT was his opportunity so far this year during the regular season....he fought his way into keeping his ACTIVE roster spot, by performing well in the preseason against starters.
well if he did do well in the pre season it must have been a mirage cuz on special teams he and every other player has blowed goats for the northwestern railroad. and i am sorry but scoring a td in garbage time in a blow out does not justify him having a roster space for next year

you are all over the place CC

who said anything about next year? and how would you like him to show his value as a backup RB if he doesn't get an opportunity? and when he does get an opportunity you brush it off as garbage time.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

you are all over the place CC

who said anything about next year? and how would you like him to show his value as a backup RB if he doesn't get an opportunity? and when he does get an opportunity you brush it off as garbage time.
sorry bud but i am just so frustrated with special teams this year and right or wrong i target dixons cuz he was supposed to be a demon on special teams and i just have not seen it,, hell i have been all over the place since sundays loss( i know what the score was).. i am defending ck against haters and then out of the other side of my mouth i say alex gives us the best chance to win monday. i have to go now , i am late to my multiple personalities class.. please do not hate me to much afrikan
no hate...and as far as having to defend both QBs....man all I'll say is look at username of person you are responding to...check out the content of their post...and then decide if its even worth it.

I only take the time to quote you because I know you have your own opinions and that you are not using a different account or just here to troll.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 13, 2012 at 7:40 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
no hate...and as far as having to defend both QBs....man all I'll say is look that the person you are responding to...check out the content of their post...and then decide if its even worth it.

I only quote you because I know you have your own opinions and that you are not using a different account or just here to troll.
i do not know how to set up a different account, heck i still have a flip phone thank you for the advice and i like alex more than anyone but when i see s**t that says the loss( i know what the score was) was on him,,, that just makes me insane i have just been a negative nelly in the last 48hours cuz i just can not shake there is something not right with this team that the coaches can not fix.. hope i am proven wrong
By no means is Anthony Dixon as valuable as a Blake Costanzo or a Brian Jennings or a C.J. Spillman, but his value isn't that he plays special teams... his value is that he plays special teams AND runningback.

When it comes to the active roster, if we were to have LaMichael James or Brandon Jacobs, we'd also have to figure out another guy to have as a special teams person. And as much as we gripe about James and Jacobs not playing, remember that they're third-string runningbacks behind an elite runningback and a potential future starter. Honestly, Anthony Dixon has only really run the ball in blow-outs.

Frank Gore has been relatively in successful in short yardage (Jacobs' forte), while Hunter is doing a good job as the change of pace (James' forte). Like everyone's been constantly saying, we haven't needed them. We could've gone into the season with Gore, Hunter, and Dixon, and would've been fine. It's extremely assuring though that we have a BIG veteran runningback if Gore went down, and a Darren Sproles-type runningback to groom for the future.
[ Edited by Wubbie on Nov 13, 2012 at 8:51 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone