There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does Anthony Dixon really have much value on the Special Teams unit?

So there has been much debate on WZ this year about why Anthony Dixon dresses and plays over Brandon Jacobs and LaMicahel James, and the consensus is always that he adds value to our team because he plays special teams.....whereas the other two dont. Well I was at the Stick (as usual) yesterday and was making a conscious effort to watch Dixon on Special Teams plays. Also, for the first time in a while, my recording messed up so I cant review the game.

But what I noticed while focusing on Dixon is that he is USELESS on the Special Teams unit (at least from my one and only viewing during THIS game). He was letting players run right past him, he was missing blocks and there were a few times where he looked completely clueless out there.

Can anyone who has watched the game again, or broken down the film, comment on this? It is entirely possible that he just had a bad game, as this is the first time I have really focused on watching him. But after my initial viewing of his play yesterday, any player we plug into the ST can at worst do exactly what Dixon did...which is not much.

Can anyone comment on this? If this is how he plays typically, I firmly believe he doesnt warrant a spot on the active roster.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Nov 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM ]
He's a block in the back magnet
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 12, 2012 at 2:25 PM ]
Everytime I notice him he seems to be talking crap to the opposing team...LOL
More value than Jacobs.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

yeah, so he is doing a good job getting down there...

and also he made a hard hit yesterday.

I'm sure the coaches see the film as well as the GM...if someone they are paying more (Jacobs) is not active, but someone they are paying less..is active and not playing well...I'm sure they would make a move.
Yes, and Jacobs couldn't do it.
For the record, I am not saying that Jacobs and/or LaMichael James could do better on ST. I am just merely stating that yesterday's game left a lot to be desired from someone who is supposedly an active player due to his play on ST.
Next season he will again be the odd man out, even if Jacobs is gone. LMJ will be ready by then.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
For the record, I am not saying that Jacobs and/or LaMichael James could do better on ST. I am just merely stating that yesterday's game left a lot to be desired from someone who is supposedly an active player due to his play on ST.

I don't think that is the main reason... I think they would've kept Cartwright if that was the case....but I think what he showed in preseason and pracitce is what has him active.

During the preseason he did a good job pass protection, run blocking, catching out of the backfield, and running with the ball (he also did this in the regular season against the Jets that allowed us to rest Gore and Hunter)

so all that shows that if Miller or Gore or Hunter get injured...he could step in and we wouldn't have to change the gameplan too much.

I'm actually pretty curious to see if he could also step in for certain plays that we ask Walker to do for us (at least in the run game)...if something happened to him. Both are about the same size.
other than getting blocked he hasn't done jack all year

That's about it. He doesn't offer much and I hope he is upgraded over next year. With him and Jacobs gone we need a power running back behind Gore, Hunter and James and someone who can play ST.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

That's about it. He doesn't offer much and I hope he is upgraded over next year. With him and Jacobs gone we need a power running back behind Gore, Hunter and James and someone who can play ST.

Ultimately, that was my purpose of this thread. If in fact Dixon is typically as bad at ST as he was on Sunday, there is no reason to think someone like Celek couldnt do what he did (which was play poorly). That way, someone like Jacobs or James could help us more on the offensive side of the ball.

It will be interesting moving forward, now that I will make it a point to watch Dixon on ST more.

x2. i'll take it
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Ultimately, that was my purpose of this thread. If in fact Dixon is typically as bad at ST as he was on Sunday, there is no reason to think someone like Celek couldnt do what he did (which was play poorly). That way, someone like Jacobs or James could help us more on the offensive side of the ball.

It will be interesting moving forward, now that I will make it a point to watch Dixon on ST more.

Yeah, I'd definitely be playing James or Jacobs over guys like Celek or maybe Dixon. Don't be surprised if there are a lot of new faces on ST next year. Gooden (FA), Grant (FA), Dixon, McBath (FA), Brock (FA), Ginn (FA), etc could all be gone. Ginn is a good punt returner but on kickoffs he just looks scared. He runs to the sidelines and out of bounce. I can't tell you how many times he could have got more yards because he looked scared and went out of bounce. And back to dixon for the few block in the backs that he got that saved TDs he has also had a few stupid block in the backs himself.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM ]
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Can we cut him and get Cartwright back? I mean, i love his enthusiasm but i don't think i've ever seen him make a play on ST. Or, is he used as a decoy? He just doesn't seem like he's contributing unless maybe a penalty is involved.