There are 63 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Carlos Rogers really is less then average

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
His problem is, he's not physical enough when playing the quick shifty guys. He needs to get on them at the line and bump them for the 5 yards that he's allowed to. If they motion it's a harder task to get a bump on them and I noticed that's what the rams were doing.

Problem with that is.. if he doesn't get a clean jam, he's likely not gonna recover. It's a big risk.. I think he should play up closer (f**k the 10 yard cushions), but he's better at the 5 yard cushions, and having a sideline to assist him.

Thank you! This is why we need a S with some speed and range esp. laterally to cover over-the-top and esp. along the sidelines and to the corner posts. If Culliver does slip up, trips, etc. we are beat 100% of the time b/c Goldson/Whitner are ALWAYS late on these patterns and that's WITH them playing 30 yards deep in center field. They are slow...now, down hill and in the middle of the field they are very good except in the RZ/EZ and esp. on TE's. But I digress...it's better to play physical up tight at the LOS with Culliver and Brown (strengths) and press...Rogers needs to be closer and slip underneath or drop off and slip underneath like last year where we also had a DB over the top and where he got so many INT's. Not this year. The other issue is that Fangio lets every WR come clean off the LOS...not bumps by the LBers, CB's or S's, etc....completely free and clean and keep everything in front of you. It kills the clock and helps us win the TOP battle. It's part of the Harbaugh offensive/defensive philosophy.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Any idea what it would look like to cut him after the 2013 season? That way we could draft a replacement this spring, rookie has a year to sit and learn, then we cut Rodgers to make cap space to resign Bowman or Goldson?

Anyway, my point is that he's not worth what he's being paid and it will hurt our team in the long run.

Yeah... 2.5 mil in dead money, but we would actually save nearly 4 mil on the cap just dumping the base salary.
Every DB in any league will have trouble covering even the slowest WR's if thier isn't much of a passrush. The 49ers passrush has been pathetic this season on the majority of the snaps.
he's defintetly not having the same year as last year but still pretty solid.....needs to improve in the later part of the season though or he's gonna be highlighted more than once.....
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
i stopped reading after "had he had decent last year"...really? some of you guys make espn analysts look like they know what they are talking about
Lol @ some fans. They would claim Calvin Johnson is paid too much and needs to be cut after he has one of his 3 catch 34 yard days.

With that said, I hope Fangio doesn't just leave Rogers out there to dry against these receivers where its clear he can't cover them one on one without a strong pass rush.
Totally agree. I'm really tired of seeing that frustrated look on Rogers' face. Hes always toast against the slot receiver or receiver period. Almost cost us the game. He definitely is pulling a Clements on us right now. First focus in the draft for sure.
Rogers has been getting exposed in the slot. does not seem to be his strong suit but we keep putting him out there .. it likely mean's he's the best we have @ covering the slot. From what I gathered none of our CB's could cover anyone yesterday. But this is the NFL.. other teams have good players too. the Rams (especially Jackson and Amendola) played that game hell bent on beating the 49ers and came very close ... on the flip side one of their starting corners didnt even play and we barely tested their secondary ..
Originally posted by hubbyt:
Rogers has been getting exposed in the slot. does not seem to be his strong suit but we keep putting him out there .. it likely mean's he's the best we have @ covering the slot. From what I gathered none of our CB's could cover anyone yesterday. But this is the NFL.. other teams have good players too. the Rams (especially Jackson and Amendola) played that game hell bent on beating the 49ers and came very close ... on the flip side one of their starting corners didnt even play and we barely tested their secondary ..

Honeslty i dont even think our O line gave us enough time to even test their secondary. The rams knew that was their weakness and they put a ton of pressure on us. They really made it look like the old school rivalry game.
Our pass rush needs to step up. Ray Mac hasn't nearly had as many pressures as he did last year.
Cox get's burned too, those quick shifty outlet WR's are killing us this year, if Sproles plays for NO in 2 weeks expect him to see the the ball in space quite a bit, it's a big time weakness for us
On one hand I'm highly disappointed we didnt beat them @ home coming off the bye but on the other I gotta tip my hat to the Rams .. I wish our team played that hard EVERY week and went for broke to win .. those fake punts were masterful. If your going to lose go out guns blazing ...back to Rogers he's a solid corner just not a good fit in the slot against some of the better slot receivers ...can't put all the blame on Carlos .. Amendola was basically the only weapon in the passing game and we didnt adjust much to slow him down .. some blame falls on coaching as well .. I wonder if they really even prepared for Amendola given that he was questionable to even play in the game following the broken collarbone
Carlos had a great year last year. Culliver didn't exactly have his finest day yesterday either.
Wrong thread.
[ Edited by Ajanke on Nov 12, 2012 at 3:11 PM ]
What do you call it when the guy making 8 mill can't cover the guys being covered by the guy making 500k?

I've been saying this all year, Rogers is toast and getting released after the season.