LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 427 users in the forums

Carlos Rogers really is less then average

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It is not all on Rogers, the pass rush needs to be there and it has not been all season.
Originally posted by 49erLegacy:
It is not all on Rogers, the pass rush needs to be there and it has not been all season.

Have to watch again (and again), but in many instances, we eliminate our own pass rush by giving up quick underneath passes. That's just how Fangio likes his D... and it is hard to appreciate it... unless we win.. and then all is forgiven.
His problem is, he's not physical enough when playing the quick shifty guys. He needs to get on them at the line and bump them for the 5 yards that he's allowed to. If they motion it's a harder task to get a bump on them and I noticed that's what the rams were doing.
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
His problem is, he's not physical enough when playing the quick shifty guys. He needs to get on them at the line and bump them for the 5 yards that he's allowed to. If they motion it's a harder task to get a bump on them and I noticed that's what the rams were doing.

Problem with that is.. if he doesn't get a clean jam, he's likely not gonna recover. It's a big risk.. I think he should play up closer (f**k the 10 yard cushions), but he's better at the 5 yard cushions, and having a sideline to assist him.
i stopped reading after "had he had decent last year"...really? some of you guys make espn analysts look like they know what they are talking about
Rodgers sucks. It was stupid to resign him. We should have let him go and drafted a replacement in the first round. Hopefully we do get a replacement this offseason and cutting Rodgers won't be too big of a cap hit.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Rodgers sucks. It was stupid to resign him. We should have let him go and drafted a replacement in the first round. Hopefully we do get a replacement this offseason and cutting Rodgers won't be too big of a cap hit.

would cost us nearly 4 million in dead cap...
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

... BUT, we would still save 1+ million due to not paying out his 5.5 base salary... so there is that..

( not that Iike the idea of cutting him yet anyway )
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
idk about that. Amendola is a tough mf'r to cover.
FYI below average in a lg where 160 players play his position?
top 10% would be 16 CB's

i would say he's top 10% in the NFL at his position.

/

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I think Rogers is covering the wrong receiver, he should be in no way covering the slot or the quickest receiver on the team. He should've been on Pettis or Quick, Brown should've been on Amendola. Don't know why Vangio doesn't recognize this.
The DLine is not getting pressure on the opposing QB's..

Last season they put incredible pressure and the secondary benefited from that.

Rodgers is not an elite CB. Better than average and it is really showing.

... BUT, we would still save 1+ million due to not paying out his 5.5 base salary... so there is that..

( not that Iike the idea of cutting him yet anyway )

Any idea what it would look like to cut him after the 2013 season? That way we could draft a replacement this spring, rookie has a year to sit and learn, then we cut Rodgers to make cap space to resign Bowman or Goldson?

Anyway, my point is that he's not worth what he's being paid and it will hurt our team in the long run.
[ Edited by blm7754 on Nov 12, 2012 at 8:43 AM ]
The dude is a top of the line corner in the league. Coverage and Tackling and last year he made an effort to get takeaways. Amedola is in the mold of the Wes Welkers and the Victor Cruzes. That dude is the truth. He is an above average slot receiver, which is a problem for Rodgers who is average at defending the slot.
Its nor Rogers. It's how we use him. Rogers is a good-decent CB, but we like to use him like Revis. Wrong mentality IMO. He plays great against some of the top league receivers, but its obvious his weakness is the quick slot guys. We need to help him against the Cruzes and the Amendolas of the world.

Not to mention that those quick passes completely negate our pass rush. If we had LB help on the inside of some of those passes, QBs would have to check down to another receiver, and that would buy time for the pass rush.

Dont know why we dont learn our lesson.
Share 49ersWebzone