LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Would it be crazy to trade Novarro Bowman?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would it be crazy to trade Novarro Bowman?

Baltimore and Washington need Middles They would both over pay for this type of guy. We can get another filler in the Draft. We have to find the replacements for Justin Smith and NaVarro soon. Buy then I would hope that our Offense has improved enough to absorb the loss.
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
The DEF is the heart of this team PERIOD.. Chi pays Briggs and Urlacker and Tilman big money to stay competitive. Trading anyone off or DEF is insane. What you would be doing is putting yourself one injury away from a gaping hole.

This is possible. Did anyone see the cap purposed for the next few years. I would think most fans would be rooting for their team to keep all there good players. I understand that salary cap but I think most of you are still grimising about when we lost a lot of people due to Donahues "salary cap hell" 10 years ago. The thing that you must realize is that during that time we were paying 2 to 3 big contracts to players that wasnt even on the team anymore. Those mistakes wont happen under this regime(lesson learned). Plus the cap has gone up tremendously. So keeping our D intact ie..Chicago is easily possible. Me personally as a fan root to keep multiple pro bowlers at every level of the Def. Not seeing what we can do without in the middle of the season.
[ Edited by D-NOTTE on Nov 10, 2012 at 6:36 AM ]
These things tend to run a natural course. Baalke will know what FAs are available and that will likely dictate somewhat who is signed long term. If there are a number of ILBs on the market Bowman's price goes down, same with Goldson, who did not receive a huge offer last year. Another factor is what do the niners think of their back ups? We have no way of knowing how the coaching staff feels about this.

But for those who say we just need one elite middle LBer...what on earth are you thinking? Bowman and Willis control the field in the run game and really help solidify the pass defense by being fast enough to cover most TEs, RBs and many receivers. Along With Justin Smith they are the heart of the D. Goldson is getting there but still makes many mistakes these three do not.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 10, 2012 at 6:38 AM ]
Not that I would be totally against it, but if we trade him, I think we'd have to change our defensive scheme.
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
Stop referencing the Dallas game last year, Madieu Williams and Reggie Smith barely count towards the defensive 11, let alone a FS. I'd like to see Goldson work out a deal, but if it doesn't happen, we'll be fine. We have options. Even if we don't address the position early in the draft, Cully could convert into a nice coverage FS and I'd feel pretty comfortable with Perrish Cox coming in as our Nickel man.
I never understood peoples need to trade players at their pinnacle...

If we did, what would we be demanding in the next draft? ...a linebacker who can have the same impact as Bowman...
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:

No. Hater
I'm a bit tired of the ImaginationLand Caucus, who apparently believe we can pay all our young stars and keep them all. Its absurd. Choices:

1. Keep Goldson, let Bowman go
2. Keep Bowman, let Goldson go
3. Keep Goldson and Bowman, let other stars go.
3a. Options - Justin smith, Michael Crabtree, Aldon Smith, Tarrell Brown, Chris Culliver, Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati

Originally posted by Ruhl:
Stop referencing the Dallas game last year, Madieu Williams and Reggie Smith barely count towards the defensive 11, let alone a FS. I'd like to see Goldson work out a deal, but if it doesn't happen, we'll be fine. We have options. Even if we don't address the position early in the draft, Cully could convert into a nice coverage FS and I'd feel pretty comfortable with Perrish Cox coming in as our Nickel man.

I thought that prior to the start of the season. But I now believe Goldson is way, way, way better than he was last year -- his coverage skills have dramatically improved.

Originally posted by nickbradley:
I'm a bit tired of the ImaginationLand Caucus, who apparently believe we can pay all our young stars and keep them all. Its absurd. Choices:

1. Keep Goldson, let Bowman go
2. Keep Bowman, let Goldson go
3. Keep Goldson and Bowman, let other stars go.
3a. Options - Justin smith, Michael Crabtree, Aldon Smith, Tarrell Brown, Chris Culliver, Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati

Or...restructure current contracts and keep the team together as they did last year. If they win a Super Bowl it will be more difficult as other teams may throw money at them, but last year proved that fewer teams are willing to break the bank for FAs like Goldson. The Redskins may not need a MLB or a DB.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Or...restructure current contracts and keep the team together as they did last year. If they win a Super Bowl it will be more difficult as other teams may throw money at them, but last year proved that fewer teams are willing to break the bank for FAs like Goldson. The Redskins may not need a MLB or a DB.

Yes! Unicorns and Gumdrops for everyone!!

Look, I don't know how polished your arithmetic is, but restructuring only does one of two things:
1. smooths contracts evenly across seasons
2. borrows from the future.

it doesn't do anything more than that.
Originally posted by Ruhl:

I would not want Culliver to be converted to safety. He has huge upside and is rapidly becoming the best cb the Niners have. That would be stupid. Maybe Carlos can be converted to FS.
I guess I would rather keep Bowman ....never has a team had two dominant ILB's that forced opposing OC's to work so hard around and find what plays can be ran at them on gameday , Goldson is also a game changer at his position , but I guess I would rather try and keep the front 7 as strong as possible
Originally posted by Mercuryspeed:
Baltimore and Washington need Middles They would both over pay for this type of guy. We can get another filler in the Draft. We have to find the replacements for Justin Smith and NaVarro soon. Buy then I would hope that our Offense has improved enough to absorb the loss.

But what would be over paying for a MLB, maybe the 10th pick in the draft? So we trade an all-pro for a player who probably has a 60% of being any good at all and maybe a 5% chance of being an all-pro? A more logical trade would be straight up for another player. But trading an all-pro at a low value position wont bring back an all pro at a high value position. I can see something like a Crabtree-type player coming back.

I don't see how we can recoup much value through a trade.
Share 49ersWebzone