LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Would it be crazy to trade Novarro Bowman?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would it be crazy to trade Novarro Bowman?

we could probably get a 1st and 3rd for him. I think those picks and the money we would save would outweigh having another elite ILB
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
You guys are F'n insane. Whoever said we should trade Bowman should be taken out back and shot. Seriously.

The ONLY reason any of our DB's have success is because of the pressure our front 7 creates. You do not trade an ALL-PRO MLB who has 10 more great seasons for a FS. Never. Never. Never.

The key to our defensive success is to keep our front 7 in-tact.

This draft is insanely deep at safety.

100% this. We have an ball hawking secondary because we have a brick wall Front 7. Teams know they can't run on us, and we know teams won't try to run on us. Taking away half of the game plan makes focusing on the other half 10x easier.
I have thought this before too. We could just franchise him when his contract is up. The franchise# for mlbs shouldn't be that high. I think its a lot harder to find an elite safety than an elite mlb. So if we have to pick we keep goldson. Its really imporant to have 1 great mlb and we have that with pat. It would be cool to take some capital from one positions where we have an embarrassment of richs and shore up another.
Double post
[ Edited by nevadalove9ers2 on Nov 10, 2012 at 1:13 AM ]

OP must be smokin some of that good Cali s**t...
Only if Gire
Saints had the greatest LB corps of all time and they didn't do s**t.
Originally posted by jreff22:
If Willis gets hurt (which happens) we dot have a major drop off because we have another All-Pro next to him. You dump Bowman and bring in 2 nobody's the run D will go to s**t.

You don't have 2 nobodys. You have Willis. And he's not hurt that much.
Originally posted by captain_planet:
Trading Willis instead would be like the Yankees trading Jeter, but would it make more cold, hard, calculating sense?
.Bowman is 3 years younger.
.Bowman is at least as fast and will stay fast longer.
.Bowman hasn't been banged up as much.
I don't necessarily believe that keeping Bowman instead of Willis is the best idea, but is it not at least discussable, if they would require the same money to keep?
If when Bowman's contract is up he is a superior player to Willis, do we remain loyal to emotional attachment or demand the best player possible and cut Willis?

No he's not as fast. Bowman ran a 4.7 at the combine. Willis ran a 4.49. Not even the same category....
Keep Bowman as long as we can. He and Willis together make this defense awesome. Right now we're not getting a ton of sacks or turnovers, but our D is still tops in the league in PPG. I feel like it's because of them and pretty good coverage in the secondary.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Bowman all the way. Goldson can be replaced.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 10, 2012 at 3:42 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:

Yeah sure. Watch the Dallas game again from last year when Goldson was hurt....
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by mayo49:

Yeah sure. Watch the Dallas game again from last year when Goldson was hurt....

Yeah, I remember that. I'd still take Bowman over Goldson, not to say that Goldson isn't a great player.
Goldson is more important. We already got Willis. So a 2nd ILB who is playing elite is greate but redundant. Lose Goldson and we are screwed. Lose Bowman and we have a 5% overall dropoff.

Originally posted by SFrush:
Goldson is more important. We already got Willis. So a 2nd ILB who is playing elite is greate but redundant. Lose Goldson and we are screwed. Lose Bowman and we have a 5% overall dropoff.

When Willis or Bowman are out (either one) with an injury and you still have 1 of 2 great ILB's in there and Larry Grant is in the lineup I see no real dropoff.

Take Goldson out of the Dallas game for injury last year and what did that game look like to you?.....
Share 49ersWebzone