There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would it be crazy to trade Novarro Bowman?

Would it be crazy to trade Novarro Bowman?

• IT21
Originally posted by SBinMT:
I completely disagree. Goldson is very good, yes, but Bowman will be a HOFer (barring catastrophic injury). No way can the brass let an impact player like Bowman get away.

I'd rather keep Goldson over Bowman

Its harder to find an elite Safety than it is to find a very good linebacker. Plus we already have Willis. We saw how horrible our pass defense was last year when Goldson was injured and not playing. When Willis went down last season for a couple weeks Grant came in, played well, and our D was still great.

Were better off letting Bowman walk than letting Goldson walk in my opinion.
I trust Larry Grant at LB more than I do CJ Spillman at Safety.
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
I completely disagree. Goldson is very good, yes, but Bowman will be a HOFer (barring catastrophic injury). No way can the brass let an impact player like Bowman get away.

I'd rather keep Goldson over Bowman

Its harder to find an elite Safety than it is to find a very good linebacker. Plus we already have Willis. We saw how horrible our pass defense was last year when Goldson was injured and not playing. When Willis went down last season for a couple weeks Grant came in, played well, and our D was still great.

Were better off letting Bowman walk than letting Goldson walk in my opinion.
I trust Larry Grant at LB more than I do CJ Spillman at Safety.

Wait: Who's "elite" and who's "very good?" You've got these two players confused.
  • IT21
Originally posted by Marsh:
Bowman elite, Goldson very good imo

I think you can argue that Goldson is the best safety in the league

and both are elite, i shouldn't have worded it like that.
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Nov 10, 2012 at 10:21 PM ]
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Bowman elite, Goldson very good imo

I think you can argue that Goldson is the best safety in the league

and both are elite, i shouldn't have worded it like that.

I don't think it'll be either/or with respect to these two players' futures with the team. If they want both, they'll find a way to keep both by terminating other high salary contracts.
  • IT21
I don't think it'll be either/or with respect to these two players' futures with the team. If they want both, they'll find a way to keep both by terminating other high salary contracts.

I hope so
I could see us cutting Rogers in a couple years honestly
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by okdkid:
The Niners will sign both Bowman and Goldson to long term contracts.

Book it.

Hope so!

In hindsight, I think we spent far too much money on Carlos Rogers.

he will be getting a $1.6m raise after this year, $750k after 2013, and another $1m after 2014. annual signing bonus hit is $1.25m...all are accelerated if he is cut.

Cutting him after this season would save a ton of money. Enough to keep goldson and bowman.

$7.1m+ a year for a nickel DB is ridiculous. Perrish Cox will make only $550k next year.
[ Edited by nickbradley on Nov 11, 2012 at 5:51 AM ]
I think it looks that way because we have a guy behind him in Chris Culliver that looks like a pretty capable starter. 'Our pass defense has been great this season and even though turnovers and sacks are down, the defense does look better this year than last. I think Rogers will last through 2013 (a year before Culliver's deal should expire) until he is approached to lower his cap figure or be a cap casualty.

We just have a lot of talent now and can't pay them all what they are worth. No need to start undervaluing guys in an effort to keep the team together.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
The Niners will sign both Bowman and Goldson to long term contracts.

I agree.

The worry about cap space might be exaggerated.
At the end of this year, we will 12 free agents whose salaries take up $21,067,000 of our 2012 cap space.

edit: Goldson, by himself, takes up $6,212,000 our 2012 cap space. Adding 1 million more to that number seems realistic.

Four of those twelve players, Ginn, Jacobs, Haggans, and Sopoaga use 7,750,000 of our cap space.

Ted Ginn $1,375,000
Brandon Jacobs $1,575,000
Isaac Sopoaga $3,800,000
Clark Haggans $1,000,000

Moss is getting $2,500,000 this year.
Even though his production has not been great, his contribution to the team has been stellar.
I feel that he can be brought back for less money.
So, we should be able to save another million or so on his contract.

We can replace Sopoaga, if necessary, with Ricky Jean-Francois and a draft choice.
Jacobs will be gone.
Haggans will be gone.
Ginn is a good return man, but both Goldson and Bowman are more important.

We can find the money to extend Bowman, and to sign Goldson to an excellent contract.

But, face it, Goldson might be gone no matter what.
Some team will offer him a better than excellent contract.
[ Edited by buck on Nov 11, 2012 at 8:18 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
I agree.

The worry about cap space might be exaggerated.
At the end of this year, we will 12 free agents whose salaries take up $21,067,000 of our 2012 cap space.

edit: Goldson, by himself, takes up $6,212,000 our 2012 cap space. Adding 1 million more to that number seems realistic.

Four of those twelve players, Ginn, Jacobs, Haggans, and Sopoaga use 7,750,000 of our cap space.

Ted Ginn $1,375,000
Brandon Jacobs $1,575,000
Isaac Sopoaga $3,800,000
Clark Haggans $1,000,000

Moss is getting $2,500,000 this year.
Even though his production has not been great, his contribution to the team has been stellar.
I feel that he can be brought back for less money.
So, we should be able to save another million or so on his contract.

We can replace Sopoaga, if necessary, with Ricky Jean-Francois and a draft choice.
Jacobs will be gone.
Haggans will be gone.
Ginn is a good return man, but both Goldson and Bowman are more important.

We can find the money to extend Bowman, and to sign Goldson to an excellent contract.

But, face it, Goldson might be gone no matter what.
Some team will offer him a better than excellent contract.

Nice to see a positive post on this subject! Thanks. Not sure about Goldson...what happened last year? Was there still doubt about him?
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Wish we could give Goldson the money from Rogers and keep both and let go of Carlos. IMO

Or, we cut Rogers to pay bowman after the 2013 season.

Definitely this!

That's not the simple solution when Tarrell Brown is a free agent after the 2013 season. Some will say just re-sign Brown, but that could be very difficult with Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati entering the final years of their rookie deals after 2013.
[ Edited by SFrush on Nov 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM ]