LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

Better Gaurd

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Who cares? They are one of the best pairs of interior lineman in the league. Hell, they are making Goodwin look just as good as he was when he played between Nicks and Evans with the Saints. Hard to believe some people were worried after Snyder signed with the Tards.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Guard Gaurd tomato toematoe

Lol

dude, LMAO! my sides hurt,
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
1. gaurd
A cloak-like garment which was usually worn by Early-Christian Priestly Writers. Cyril and Methodius are likely to have worn gaurds due to the fact that they were active in the early Church during the Pax Romana.

Does this mean God is on our side? Wow!
Still satisfied with Boone at RG?
Originally posted by communist:

I am. It is true that he didn't play his best game @ Arizona though.

I'd like to see (and this goes for all OL) our guys sustain blocks better. It is almost as if they are being taught to play finesse football at times. Lots of initial contact and angling/walling off defenders.. sometimes simply to move on to another block, which that part I can fully appreciate. However, there are other times where they clearly should block a defender into the ground.. through the whistle.. but simply settle for the initial contact and let off. This causes some plays to go for less than they should (in the run game where a defender recovers from initial block and works around the OL for a tackle) and also causes less QB options when a pass play doesn't go as it should and Alex has to improvise.

Not a big knock.. they have been pretty solid.. but I feel they could be even better.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by communist:

I am. It is true that he didn't play his best game @ Arizona though.

I'd like to see (and this goes for all OL) our guys sustain blocks better. It is almost as if they are being taught to play finesse football at times. Lots of initial contact and angling/walling off defenders.. sometimes simply to move on to another block, which that part I can fully appreciate. However, there are other times where they clearly should block a defender into the ground.. through the whistle.. but simply settle for the initial contact and let off. This causes some plays to go for less than they should (in the run game where a defender recovers from initial block and works around the OL for a tackle) and also causes less QB options when a pass play doesn't go as it should and Alex has to improvise.

Not a big knock.. they have been pretty solid.. but I feel they could be even better.

I've noticed this as well but see it on so many other teams that it seems the NFL norm. The Minn game set up a good comparison in that their line seemed more aggressive, tenacious...consistently through the game. Some of this may still be tentativeness in the new system/position. Staley has always been a high energy guy and I hope the young guys take their cue from him.

Relying on trick blocking has been successful at times but is does take time to get all the movement down. The jumbo packages seem less successful...sometimes looks like trying to fit too many people through a doorway instead of widening the passage.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 9, 2012 at 6:43 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I've noticed this as well but see it on so many other teams that it seems the NFL norm. The Minn game set up a good comparison in that their line seemed more aggressive, tenacious...consistently through the game. Some of this may still be tentativeness in the new system/position. Staley has always been a high energy guy and I hope the young guys take their cue from him.

Relying on trick blocking has been successful at times but is does take time to get all the movement down. The jumbo packages seem less successful...sometimes looks like trying to fit too many people through a doorway instead of widening the passage.

Overall agree, but couldn't agree more on that last sentence. Not a big fan of the big fatty package with big LD and Tuku.. though sure, at times it has worked.

Yeah, I guess you are very right about the "many other OL block in similar fashion." Hard to notice them as much, since I don't study each on a play-by-play basis. Still want to see (for instance) Boone hit the 2nd level and annihilate his 2nd level LB instead of block him initially, but let said LB work around him for a stop. That bothers me.. as Boone (or any OL) should be able to drive a LB into the dirt. I could give more examples, but I am sure most know what I am talking about.

------------ finishing yet another cup, and really need to start drinking more decaf instead, dammit!
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Overall agree, but couldn't agree more on that last sentence. Not a big fan of the big fatty package with big LD and Tuku.. though sure, at times it has worked.

Yeah, I guess you are very right about the "many other OL block in similar fashion." Hard to notice them as much, since I don't study each on a play-by-play basis. Still want to see (for instance) Boone hit the 2nd level and annihilate his 2nd level LB instead of block him initially, but let said LB work around him for a stop. That bothers me.. as Boone (or any OL) should be able to drive a LB into the dirt. I could give more examples, but I am sure most know what I am talking about.

------------ finishing yet another cup, and really need to start drinking more decaf instead, dammit!

Never drink decaf...but I stop at 10 a.m. or I'd be awake all night, LOL! I think one reason Staley gets recognition as an all pro is his hitting the next level. He is always down field helping WRs or RBs get that extra yard.

One reason for the easing off may be due to games like Balt last year, when they stayed tied up too long on a guy only to let a late blitzer through. I understand that problem but seem to recall Rachal and Snyder standing next to the hole with no one to block...often! At least I'm not seeing that this year.

The line, as we both know, usually takes time to jell and we are seeing it this year, opposed to last year never improving much...and that's where Goodwin looked very bad at times. One thing that I always forget about the line is that really instinctive players (also very good) have the ability to look around to find the right block, whereas a guy like Snyder is maxed out just trying to get a jump toward the guy he thinks he should block. Anchoring is the term scouts use I believe. Great players can anchor but adjust mid play. Perhaps the difference is quickness, or vision, or...whatever.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 9, 2012 at 7:29 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone