LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 403 users in the forums

disturbing play in the cardinals game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by reasonable1:
For those that need some help...here you go...

Red zone plays like this are designed exactly for the result that happened.

- Davis is on the opposite side of the bunch (left side on the LOS)...his route draws the outside safety, the OLB AND the ILB drift to his side after the snap...

- Then Manningham runs a pattern toward the endzone to draw his man AND the weakside safety back just in case its an inbreaking EZ route...

- Williams runs a short stick pattern to take his man toward the numbers...

- All while Crabtree is left one on one with Peterson and NO ONE in the middle of the field because they're all drawn by the threats on each outside route...

- Smith finds Crabs...he makes one move...and there is no one within 3-5 yards able to tackle him because their attention had been drawn elsewhere.

Was that a bit too complicated for you guys b***hing about a TD?? Or does it even matter because they didn't flood the endzone with receivers???

Unbelievable...

Yeah we get the play design. It was a well designed play.

But its still a conservative play which leaves little chance for error. Thats not a bad thing. We are banking on YAC to get the TD and they won't tackle us before we get there.

Remember the play against the saints? That was a more aggressive play call. We went VD and Crabs in there. Fades in the corner or slants over the middle like Cruz did to us this year...those are more aggressive.

I'd rather go with the YAC then risk an INT.
yeah but a huge difference between the saints play and this one. that was a do or die play situation. this was not.
Originally posted by marshniners24:
complain about winning

This
THREAD OF THE YEAR

- Davis is on the opposite side of the bunch (left side on the LOS)...his route draws the outside safety, the OLB AND the ILB drift to his side after the snap...

- Then Manningham runs a pattern toward the endzone to draw his man AND the weakside safety back just in case its an inbreaking EZ route...

- All while Crabtree is left one on one with Peterson and NO ONE in the middle of the field because they're all drawn by the threats on each outside route...

- Smith finds Crabs...he makes one move...and there is no one within 3-5 yards able to tackle him because their attention had been drawn elsewhere.

Was that a bit too complicated for you guys b***hing about a TD?? Or does it even matter because they didn't flood the endzone with receivers???

Unbelievable...

But its still a conservative play which leaves little chance for error. Thats not a bad thing. We are banking on YAC to get the TD and they won't tackle us before we get there.

Remember the play against the saints? That was a more aggressive play call. We went VD and Crabs in there. Fades in the corner or slants over the middle like Cruz did to us this year...those are more aggressive.

True those were more aggressive in nature...but you're also comparing a situation within a playoff game to week 8 of the regular season. Both served the same purpose...a clearout to find a wide open receiver. VD's TD catch was a play that HAD to be made. 14 seconds left...there's no way you don't throw to the endzone...situations such as those, especially in the playoffs, warrant different play calls. This one was a play where even if you dont score a TD...you're still up 13-0 against an offense that couldn't push a pencil down the field. I get the thinking...and the fact that it became a TD speaks more to the development as an offense rather than us being limited. We weren't finishing those plays last year.
Originally posted by YungAce:
THREAD OF THE YEAR

Hands down

Man down
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

Unbelievable...

yeah but a huge difference between the saints play and this one. that was a do or die play situation. this was not.

No it wasn't. We were down by three in FG range WITH a timeout..

A safe YAC play could have been called. Gwt a TD or get tackled and call a timeout. but we went for it all.

But i think a lot had to do with Saints Defense being like swiss cheese.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

Unbelievable...

EXACTLY...14 seconds left in a win or go home...or a 3rd and goal in week 8 against a team that needs to have their offense fumigated.

Unbelievable...

True those were more aggressive in nature...but you're also comparing a situation within a playoff game to week 8 of the regular season. Both served the same purpose...a clearout to find a wide open receiver. VD's TD catch was a play that HAD to be made. 14 seconds left...there's no way you don't throw to the endzone...situations such as those, especially in the playoffs, warrant different play calls. This one was a play where even if you dont score a TD...you're still up 13-0 against an offense that couldn't push a pencil down the field. I get the thinking...and the fact that it became a TD speaks more to the development as an offense rather than us being limited. We weren't finishing those plays last year.

IT didn't HAVE to be made. The stakes were way higher in that game. It was a playoff game and a dangerous throw could have been picked. And we missed on a chance to tie. We were only down by three there. And we had a time out. A conservativre play would have been just fine there.

That call was aggressive as hell. So was the throw...Right into coverage.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Nov 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM ]
49er fans, nitpicking at pointless BS since 1989.
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
49er fans, nitpicking at pointless BS since 1989.

I guess its better then nitpicking at pointless internet threads.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Nov 1, 2012 at 11:56 PM ]

IT didn't HAVE to be made. The stakes were way higher in that game. It was a playoff game and a dangerous throw could have been picked. And we missed on a chance to tie. We were only down by three there. And we had a time out. A conservativre play would have been just fine there.

Isn't this what Smith is accused of not doing enough to give his guys a chance????

Guy can't win for winning...lol

Isn't this what Smith is accused of not doing enough to give his guys a chance????

Guy can't win for winning...lol

Yeah.

But that's not what we were talking about. The OP's point, which was, this play call against AZ was conservative. That is what we were talking about. LEts stick to that to avoid turning this into an AS thread.

I agree with him as there were no options in the endzone. Compared to the Saints game against VD, which was an example of a more aggressive play call. Crabs went on a fade and VD, well, you know what VD did.

What is your point exactly regarding this play?
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Nov 2, 2012 at 12:10 AM ]
Yeah.

But that's not what we were talking about. The OP's point, which was, this play call against AZ was conservative. That is what we were talking about. LEts stick to that to avoid turning this into an AS thread.

I agree with him as there were no options in the endzone. Compared to the Saints game against VD, which was an example of a more aggressive play call. Crabs went on a fade and VD, well, you know what VD did.

Not even close to turning into that...Idk if anything tops that madness...

My point regarding this play is not only was a drawn up well...but the offense actually finished. It is something they really did not do last year at all. It was encouraging to me because 1) they executed in the redzone and 2) Crabtree showed a nose for the endzone. These plays routinely resulted in Akers trotting out onto the field last year...now they're being converted for TDs. Conservative or not...it worked...was well run...and continues the offensive development.
Yeah.

Not even close to turning into that...Idk if anything tops that madness...

My point regarding this play is not only was a drawn up well...but the offense actually finished. It is something they really did not do last year at all. It was encouraging to me because 1) they executed in the redzone and 2) Crabtree showed a nose for the endzone. These plays routinely resulted in Akers trotting out onto the field last year...now they're being converted for TDs. Conservative or not...it worked...was well run...and continues the offensive development.

I know. It liked that play. It was sweet.

I said that before as well. The bold is what we were talking about. I guess your point is that this is a moot topic. I can dig it.
Well it seems that YAC will be our bread and butter in the passing game now. Even Randy isn't running OOB anymore. I certainly approve of this game plan, and it seems to work well with our almost unstoppable running game and Alex, who almost had a perfect game.
[ Edited by SFTifoso on Nov 2, 2012 at 12:19 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone