LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 209 users in the forums

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Relax people. Just enjoy having a good qb in Alex and future starter Kap. It will all work itself out. I think next year, with another year in the system for Kap, Harbaugh will let Alex and Kap fight it out in 2013.
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
After the preseason we picked up another rookie QB. IMHO this meant that after seeing what we had during preseason that maybe Kaepernick wasn't the right choice so we immediately grabbed Tolzien. Who by the way pushing Kaep for the backup position in this years TC. The fact that all this happened tells us a lot about Kaep.

Originally posted by ginseng1000:
If you guys remember when the preseason ended, Harbaugh said openly that Kaep won the 2nd string job over Tolzien.
In any NFL team, you bring in 3 QB to evaluate. Some rosters carry 3 QB, some carry 2 but put one on PS or make him inactive.

Thus, your point about them bringing in Tolzien is a sign they didn't like Kaep or didn't believe in him is invalid or just your assumption.

Yes, which is why I added "IMHO". It took until the end of training camp for Harbaugh to say Kaep won the backup position. Kaepernick seems like a me first type o guy with his comment he has on his Instagram account "Trying to be number 1 in a world that accepts number 2!". While you have a guy like Tolzien sleeping at the training facility in order to learn as much of the playbook as he can. It seems like Colin thinks like some of the guys here, in that he believes his superior athletic abilities is good enough to allow him become the starter. That kind of thinking bothers me especially when he misses on the little details in play design. I'm sure the coaches run only the plays that he is comfortable with, so he should have those plays down by now if he really believes he's number 1.

People say that he has the ability to make a play when it breaks down, there is some truth to that, but what happened at the end of OT when he was sacked? In most cases the play breaks down because he held he ball too long and didn't find the right read right away. He's young and inexperienced but so are a lot of QBs that came into the league this year. So if he truly believes he's number 1, I expect a lot more from him when he takes the field.
[ Edited by paperplanemedia on Nov 18, 2012 at 5:56 AM ]
After the preseason we picked up another rookie QB. IMHO this meant that after seeing what we had during preseason that maybe Kaepernick wasn't the right choice so we immediately grabbed Tolzien. Who by the way pushing Kaep for the backup position in this years TC. The fact that all this happened tells us a lot about Kaep.

If you guys remember when the preseason ended, Harbaugh said openly that Kaep won the 2nd string job over Tolzien.
In any NFL team, you bring in 3 QB to evaluate. Some rosters carry 3 QB, some carry 2 but put one on PS or make him inactive.

Thus, your point about them bringing in Tolzien is a sign they didn't like Kaep or didn't believe in him is invalid or just your assumption.

Yes, which is why I added "IMHO". It took until the end of training camp for Harbaugh to say Kaep won the backup position. Kaepernick seems like a me first type o guy with his comment he has on his Instagram account "Trying to be number 1 in a world that accepts number 2!". While you have a guy like Tolzien sleeping at the training facility in order to learn as much of the playbook as he can. It seems like Colin thinks like some of the guys here, in that he believes his superior athletic abilities is good enough to allow him become the starter. That kind of thinking bothers me especially when he misses on the little details in play design. I'm sure the coaches run only the plays that he is comfortable with, so he should have those plays down by now if he really believes he's number 1.

People say that he has the ability to make a play when it breaks down, there is some truth to that, but what happened at the end of OT when he was sacked? In most cases the play breaks down because he held he ball too long and didn't find the right read right away. He's young and inexperienced but so are a lot of QBs that came into the league this year. So if he truly believes he's number 1, I expect a lot more from him when he takes the field.

He did take us down the field 1st to tie up the game and then in OT lead us down the field for the opportunity to win the game, didn't he? What else do you want from a 2nd year QB who has ZERO starts???

He did take us down the field 1st to tie up the game and then in OT lead us down the field for the opportunity to win the game, didn't he? What else do you want from a 2nd year QB who has ZERO starts???

You asked a question that I already answered. Look at my last sentence. What are your thoughts of everything else I mentioned?
CK reminds me of Young when he played with TB. Both had/have a tendency to rely on their legs too much, are playing behind lines that do not pass protect all that well, and have great physical talents. Young was picked up by Walsh and sat on the bench for four years, starting a few games when Montana was injured. It too Young some time to develop confidence in his passing game to the degree running took a back seat. Also took a while for him to understand the WCO.

They are also both bright and good character guys who are easy to like. So I am not concerned about starting Kaepernich in a year or two, but am glad he is on the team to complete for the job and play when Smith is out.
Start him
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
CK reminds me of Young when he played with TB. Both had/have a tendency to rely on their legs too much, are playing behind lines that do not pass protect all that well, and have great physical talents. Young was picked up by Walsh and sat on the bench for four years, starting a few games when Montana was injured. It too Young some time to develop confidence in his passing game to the degree running took a back seat. Also took a while for him to understand the WCO.

They are also both bright and good character guys who are easy to like. So I am not concerned about starting Kaepernich in a year or two, but am glad he is on the team to complete for the job and play when Smith is out.
good post and good points,, plus I think young did not have a running game when he first took over cuz we got rid of craig, young was our best runner till we got rickyW. a good running game is a quarterbacks best friend and even when gore leaves hunter will pick up the slack. however you need to get a running back unless the james stiff comes out of the woodwork next year.
Originally posted by cciowa:
good post and good points,, plus I think young did not have a running game when he first took over cuz we got rid of craig, young was our best runner till we got rickyW. a good running game is a quarterbacks best friend and even when gore leaves hunter will pick up the slack. however you need to get a running back unless the james stiff comes out of the woodwork next year.

Fear not you'll be eating your reckless words soon enough.

LaMichael + Harbaugh = The NFL's in trouble
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:

i hope you are right! i am just kind of down on our draft, no biggie, my problem, not yours

agreed

but he wont be a premirere back imo

id like him in darren sproles role

short passes and then hes gone

Originally posted by mayo49:
Relax people. Just enjoy having a good qb in Alex and future starter Kap. It will all work itself out. I think next year, with another year in the system for Kap, Harbaugh will let Alex and Kap fight it out in 2013.

Does anyone know what the financial implications are for keeping Smith on the roster into next years training camp? Not that I think its a bad idea, but I'm curious what the financial impact is? Would that put us on the hook for his whole base or just some kind of bonus?
LaMicheal James and Brandon Jacobs already Lost Faith in Jim Harbaugh By there Twitter Post so I Dont think LMJ will Stay as a Niner

i hope you are right! i am just kind of down on our draft, no biggie, my problem, not yours

Just think about Ted Ginn. In most hands he would have continued to be a failed wideout. With Harbaugh he became a weapon, fly sweeps, quick pitches, reverses etc.

Fullhouse back fields with Frank, Hunter, and LMJ, LMJ in the slot, kick and punt returner, Kap and James running the option (!). Another weapon at Harbaugh's disposal.
Originally posted by adamcarrillo17:
LaMicheal James and Brandon Jacobs already Lost Faith in Jim Harbaugh By there Twitter Post so I Dont think LMJ will Stay as a Niner

I just checked LMJ twitter, wheres the fire?
I wrote in " stupid thead" as my vote.
Share 49ersWebzone