LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 300 users in the forums

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

ya he beat the rams. kids clutch. o wait...he tied? ok nm. clipboard it is.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
What to do with CK???? Start em........

Play'em.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Humboldt9er:
ya he beat the rams. kids clutch. o wait...he tied? ok nm. clipboard it is.

great post
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
I don't htink that is really being disputed. I think English is correct, though, with the way the draft played out. Dalton was taken and that left CK, after that, wasn't there quite a drop-off?

This isn't to say that CK isn't who the 49ers wanted all along, we won't ever know that, and it doesn't really matter at this point.

I believe there was a large drop-off after that, yes... The next decent QB was Ryan Mallett and we sure were not gonna select his slow arse. Mallett was being talked about as a 4th or 5th rounder due to character concerns also, IIRC. After that, I don't think there were any QBs taken till the 5th rd.

Bottom line is we don't select Ck7 unless we liked him. But considering that all we had was David Carr on our roster at the time? Ouch.. yeah, we had to make sure we traded up to get the QB we at least still liked.

After the preseason we picked up another rookie QB. IMHO this meant that after seeing what we had during preseason that maybe Kaepernick wasn't the right choice so we immediately grabbed Tolzien. Who by the way pushing Kaep for the backup position in this years TC. The fact that all this happened tells us a lot about Kaep.
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
After the preseason we picked up another rookie QB. IMHO this meant that after seeing what we had during preseason that maybe Kaepernick wasn't the right choice so we immediately grabbed Tolzien. Who by the way pushing Kaep for the backup position in this years TC. The fact that all this happened tells us a lot about Kaep.

One telling thing is that we brought in Josh Johnson. No doubt we did this because we were not yet convinced that Ck7 had developed to a point where we were comfortable with him stepping in if need be. Knowing Harbaugh, he obviously liked J.J. and also wanted to push Ck7 at that point.. to make certain he realized he needed to bring his best to compete with J.J. As far as last offseason, I think Ck7 showed enough that this relieved their minds a bit to cut J.J. loose. Tolzien was a very promising developmental guy we got our clutches on... not really a big factor regarding Ck7, IMHO.

One telling thing is that we brought in Josh Johnson. No doubt we did this because we were not yet convinced that Ck7 had developed to a point where we were comfortable with him stepping in if need be. Knowing Harbaugh, he obviously liked J.J. and also wanted to push Ck7 at that point.. to make certain he realized he needed to bring his best to compete with J.J. As far as last offseason, I think Ck7 showed enough that this relieved their minds a bit to cut J.J. loose. Tolzien was a very promising developmental guy we got our clutches on... not really a big factor regarding Ck7, IMHO.

A lot of people thought we would keep JJ and let Tolzien go, and to have 2 rookie QBs as backups last year was a risky move. With the team willing to take that type of risk and Tolzien still around means they really like what they see in him.
I will remind people that Alex Smith is only three years older than Kaep so age shouldn't be a factor for picking the QB of the future considering both are still young.
and i will remind people that kaepernick has three fumbles and 3 or 4 sacks in not many snaps. me and all the kaep pushers are not impressed but cool with him in the rams game so................... so keep it the same he shouldnt start and he who disputes this is not cool.
If the coaching staff believes he's a legit high quality future starter, you keep him no matter the compensation. Imo, there is almost no compensation worth a high quality starting QB. As far as I'm concerned, the Rams got shaffted in the RGIII deal....LOL...thank God we dont have to see that dude 2twice a year.

If you guys remember when the preseason ended, Harbaugh said openly that Kaep won the 2nd string job over Tolzien.
In any NFL team, you bring in 3 QB to evaluate. Some rosters carry 3 QB, some carry 2 but put one on PS or make him inactive.

Thus, your point about them bringing in Tolzien is a sign they didn't like Kaep or didn't believe in him is invalid or just your assumption.
[ Edited by ginseng1000 on Nov 17, 2012 at 4:58 PM ]

Originally posted by 49amane:
and i will remind people that kaepernick has three fumbles and 3 or 4 sacks in not many snaps. me and all the kaep pushers are not impressed but cool with him in the rams game so................... so keep it the same he shouldnt start and he who disputes this is not cool.

i'm not saying Kaep should start right now, but in 2 years our team will face the question of who do u keep as QB?? I dont see them extending Alex Smith unless he brings it in the playoffs and wins the big one. It happens in this league, unless u win the big game, coaching will always keep looking for a upgrade. McNabb, Garcia, P. Manning, Brad Johnson, Warner, Farve, Dilfer, Bulger, etc. All these mentioned either won a SB or are were once playoff experienced QB, yet many were let go to give way to a younger talent or what they believe is their next QB to develop.

Right now, I believe its Alex's chance but I do think the coaching staff, especially Jim Harbaugh, has a plan for the future if Alex Smith doesn't help him win the big one.
[ Edited by ginseng1000 on Nov 17, 2012 at 4:53 PM ]
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
If you guys remember when the preseason ended, Harbaugh said openly that Kaep won the 2nd string job over Tolzien.
In any NFL team, you bring in 3 QB to evaluate. Some rosters carry 3 QB, some carry 2 but put one on PS or make him inactive.

Thus, your point about them bringing in Tolzien is a sign they didn't like Kaep or didn't believe in him is invalid or just your assumption.

If you actually process what you are reading, you will see that I never claimed the bolded.

If you actually process what you are reading, you will see that I never claimed the bolded.

It was for the previous post to paperplanemedia
[ Edited by ginseng1000 on Nov 17, 2012 at 4:58 PM ]

It was for the previous post to paperplanemedia

cool.. just wanted to be clear on that.
You guys are overthinking things. We drafted Kaepernick because he has the potential to be a starter in this league. Doesn't necessarily mean he's hand picked to be our guy.

That kind of thinking leads you to letting Drew Brees walk out the building. Sometimes that opportunity gets taken away. Smith was brought back because Harbaugh believed that he too could be the franchise and so far he's been proven right.
Share 49ersWebzone