LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Originally posted by greywolf447:
Are you KIDDING? JH hand picked this kid. JH and Baalke were willing to trade up to the end of the 1st round to get him but the price was to steep. Rather you like it or not, he is being groomed to be the QB of the future. JH likes his QB athletic and accurate who can win games. Kaep seeing the field more then he did last year. By design. Alex is basically the stop gap QB while JH grooms Kaep. Look at how they structured Alex's contract if you need more evidence. I like Alex but I doubt he finish's his career with the Niners. I think Kaep can take over as soon as next season.

agreed!
Originally posted by Eeks:
Blind just blind
If ur ok with average then ur not okay with me. Alex will never be more than a B- qb. Everytime he throws deep the ball is out of bounds-thats because he is scared. When a play is as designed then he is ok, but as soon as he has to go to option 2 or improvise-he is a lost puppy. Alex has ZERO football instincts. Maybe he is too smart for his own good. But i dont want to settle for a qb that his own coach calls Non-Functional unless everything is perfect

Last time I checked Smith wasn't average. Check the stats out. Cool it with the "blind" comments and remember that people are entitled to have a different opinion.

Oh and by the way "zero football instincts"? Credibility self destruct initiated.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
The kid showed poise in the pocket. I'm very confident we have a future starting Qb.
Are you KIDDING? JH hand picked this kid. JH and Baalke were willing to trade up to the end of the 1st round to get him but the price was to steep. Rather you like it or not, he is being groomed to be the QB of the future. JH likes his QB athletic and accurate who can win games. Kaep seeing the field more then he did last year. By design. Alex is basically the stop gap QB while JH grooms Kaep. Look at how they structured Alex's contract if you need more evidence. I like Alex but I doubt he finish's his career with the Niners. I think Kaep can take over as soon as next season.

People need to stop putting their spin on this. CK may or may not end up as the 49ers starting qb, it depends on how he plays and how Smith plays. Nothing is set in stone.

He was the last of the decent qb's in the draft which was why we traded up. At the time we were rather short of qb's. That doesn't make him hand picked, or being groomed. He was the best option available and that is the end of it. Everything else is just spin.

Nothing Harbaugh has said or done justifies the use of the term stop gap. This is your opinion only.

Regarding Smith not finishing his career with the Niners, this is possible. It is also possible that Kaepernick will take the starting role. Possible. Equally possible that Smith keeps the starting role and CK stays as a clipboard holder or gets traded.
Originally posted by English:
Blind just blind
If ur ok with average then ur not okay with me. Alex will never be more than a B- qb. Everytime he throws deep the ball is out of bounds-thats because he is scared. When a play is as designed then he is ok, but as soon as he has to go to option 2 or improvise-he is a lost puppy. Alex has ZERO football instincts. Maybe he is too smart for his own good. But i dont want to settle for a qb that his own coach calls Non-Functional unless everything is perfect

Last time I checked Smith wasn't average. Check the stats out. Cool it with the "blind" comments and remember that people are entitled to have a different opinion.

Oh and by the way "zero football instincts"? Credibility self destruct initiated.
Yeah ummm what? Alex looks fine to me, he does a great job going to his second and 3rd options thats not a issue by any means. He's improved as a leader for sure, he's become functional it only took a head coach and 2 years to get this much out of Alex which is like going from Ryan Leaf to Payton Manning in 2 years. He does a great job avoiding pressure and teams DO NOT BLITZ HIM THEY NO BETTER NOW! Only real problem I see is he needs to slide every once in a while. I'm rather happy with Alex 7 years ago i would have just laugh at the thought we ever truly get to see Alex Functional after all the OC,HC. He's A TOUGH SOB man will take a hit and even throw one, and toss a touchdown why he's not sure who he is. When he got up from that play i new he was hurt, i thought it be his shoulder glad he's alright!
If ur ok with average then ur not okay with me. Alex will never be more than a B- qb.

AS didn't even play the whole game or even half of it and people like you are still criticizing and blaming AS.

It's pretty obvious, the 9er o-line still sucks at pass blocking (CK 3 sacks, AS 2 sacks) and the receiving crop isn't much better than last year (VD no TDs for the past few games and only 30 yds this game. Moss and Manningham combine for less than 40 yds in this game. Compare that to Rams, top 3 yesterday: Amendola 102 yds, Kendricks 48, Gibson 47.), never mind let's blame that on AS too.

Let's say CK starts as the QB every game here on and the 49ers don't make the play-offs, I bet people like you will STILL blame AS.

The constant negativity towards AS, what do you get out of it?
What a waste of time...
[ Edited by MrTruth on Nov 12, 2012 at 6:26 AM ]

People need to stop putting their spin on this. CK may or may not end up as the 49ers starting qb, it depends on how he plays and how Smith plays. Nothing is set in stone.

He was the last of the decent qb's in the draft which was why we traded up. At the time we were rather short of qb's. That doesn't make him hand picked, or being groomed. He was the best option available and that is the end of it. Everything else is just spin.

Nothing Harbaugh has said or done justifies the use of the term stop gap. This is your opinion only.

Regarding Smith not finishing his career with the Niners, this is possible. It is also possible that Kaepernick will take the starting role. Possible. Equally possible that Smith keeps the starting role and CK stays as a clipboard holder or gets traded.

Well look at you! Putting a spin of your own on top of it...

I agree with greywolf 100% BTW.
[ Edited by zomg_its_ryan on Nov 12, 2012 at 7:51 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
The kid showed poise in the pocket. I'm very confident we have a future starting Qb.

Plus is his first game is any indication he's clutch
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Plus is his first game is any indication he's clutch

The kid was drafted in the 2nd round as a big project. His 1st regular season game is a lousy tie... If that doesn't tell you something, I don't know what will.
There has been plenty of rookies that had come in recently and win... Keep that in mind lol...

Well said. Considering the new rookie wage scale that went into effect last year, a few QBs were taken higher than they would have been otherwise e.g Ponder, Gabbert. And when Dalton went to Cincy at #34, it seemed as if we decided to make a move (trade up) and get the only other potential starting QB. And like many people have stated before, this was prior to Alex's breakout season last year. Alex runs Harbaughs offense to perfection. We can win the SB with Alex - I really believe this. Kaep is very athletic and will get better with experience but not entirely sold on him.

Originally posted by zomg_its_ryan:

No.

No.

Everything is speculation here. We will never know unless we are very close with Jim Harbaugh and Baalke, what they were thinking during the draft and when they took CK.

But I seriously doubt Jim H and Baalke will draft a QB in the 2nd round, if they did not believe he has POTENTIAL to be groomed.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

No.

Everything is speculation here. We will never know unless we are very close with Jim Harbaugh and Baalke, what they were thinking during the draft and when they took CK.

But I seriously doubt Jim H and Baalke will draft a QB in the 2nd round, if they did not believe he has POTENTIAL to be groomed.

I don't htink that is really being disputed. I think English is correct, though, with the way the draft played out. Dalton was taken and that left CK, after that, wasn't there quite a drop-off?

This isn't to say that CK isn't who the 49ers wanted all along, we won't ever know that, and it doesn't really matter at this point.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
I don't htink that is really being disputed. I think English is correct, though, with the way the draft played out. Dalton was taken and that left CK, after that, wasn't there quite a drop-off?

This isn't to say that CK isn't who the 49ers wanted all along, we won't ever know that, and it doesn't really matter at this point.

I believe there was a large drop-off after that, yes... The next decent QB was Ryan Mallett and we sure were not gonna select his slow arse. Mallett was being talked about as a 4th or 5th rounder due to character concerns also, IIRC. After that, I don't think there were any QBs taken till the 5th rd.

Bottom line is we don't select Ck7 unless we liked him. But considering that all we had was David Carr on our roster at the time? Ouch.. yeah, we had to make sure we traded up to get the QB we at least still liked.
What to do with CK???? Start em........
Share 49ersWebzone