There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Even if they did want Dalton, they still drafted a qb so he still must have been high on their board like a 1A/1B situation. What if they did draft Dalton? What would've happened to Alex? I think drafting Kaep helped Alex keep his job here.... Dalton was considered more pro ready, Kaep was considered the 2-3 year project qb with huge upside. Most draft experts had Kaep going anywhere from late 1st to middle second round, I think the sporting news had Kaep as the #2 qb in the draft.
Not sure why this argument is on-going? C Kaepernick is on the team and the 9ers drafted him. He is the first back up, so he's ahead of Tolzien, who many believed was ahead in NFL readiness. He has proven himself to the coaches to some extent and it will be a continual competition at QB under Harbaugh. Even if CK is traded or cut, or the same with Smith, there will still be competition at every position. They should always have at least two quality QBs on the team.
Was just doing some light reading from sources in the past... refresher. I think SF was wanting Ck7 all along. Seems like we traded up because we caught wind that the Raiders and Dolphins were salivating for Ck7. Maybe we had interest in Dalton. I don't believe that was ever confirmed. But what we can surmise is that once Dalton went off the board? We knew that other teams would be pushing hard to move up and select a QB.. very likely Ck7. So of course, we didn't just select Ck7 because he was "the crap left over." Again though... remember these days, a 2nd round pick isn't entitled to anything. He isn't a financial concern at all. We have no investment in him that we can't walk away from, and with Alex succeeding, we could dump or trade him without any grand impact to us in the offseason. Do I want that to happen? Hell no... I like him and hope he develops into a starting quality QB.

Also to note... Alex wasn't even signed to our roster at the time of the draft. There seemed to be lots of indications that perhaps he and Jim had a verbal agreement... (think: later gave him a playbook and he taught our players in Camp Alex) but the only QB we had on the roster at that time? was David Carr. But prior to the draft, they were only courting Alex and hoping he would sign back with SF.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Not sure why this argument is on-going? C Kaepernick is on the team and the 9ers drafted him. He is the first back up, so he's ahead of Tolzien, who many believed was ahead in NFL readiness. He has proven himself to the coaches to some extent and it will be a continual competition at QB under Harbaugh. Even if CK is traded or cut, or the same with Smith, there will still be competition at every position. They should always have at least two quality QBs on the team.

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Was just doing some light reading from sources in the past... refresher. I think SF was wanting Ck7 all along. Seems like we traded up because we caught wind that the Raiders and Dolphins were salivating for Ck7. Maybe we had interest in Dalton. I don't believe that was ever confirmed. But what we can surmise is that once Dalton went off the board? We knew that other teams would be pushing hard to move up and select a QB.. very likely Ck7. So of course, we didn't just select Ck7 because he was "the crap left over." Again though... remember these days, a 2nd round pick isn't entitled to anything. He isn't a financial concern at all. We have no investment in him that we can't walk away from, and with Alex succeeding, we could dump or trade him without any grand impact to us in the offseason. Do I want that to happen? Hell no... I like him and hope he develops into a starting quality QB.

Also to note... Alex wasn't even signed to our roster at the time of the draft. There seemed to be lots of indications that perhaps he and Jim had a verbal agreement... (think: later gave him a playbook and he taught our players in Camp Alex) but the only QB we had on the roster at that time? was David Carr. But prior to the draft, they were only courting Alex and hoping he would sign back with SF.

Good posts fellas.
Originally posted by Marsh:
Great post!
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
Good posts fellas.

... good morning, WZ-ers!
If it is not broke leave it alone.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Sit him this year then let him compete with Alex next year.
I think the only thing that will hold off a competition for the QB job next summer will be in Alex makes it to and/or wins the Super Bowl. With that being said, I doubt CK will be ready to take the job until 2014.
Nothing he will be starting next year
give him some more practice reps this week...
Start him
Originally posted by susweel:
Start him

if alex was 11/17 116 yards with 0 TD you would call him to be benched
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

I think it took Alex 30 games to get that point.

You guys need to relax. Alex has a 100 rating. Kaep's going to be sitting the bench for the forseeable future.
Start him

Dude came off the bench without first team reps. Under those circumstances I thought he played well.
Start him

Dude came off the bench without first team reps. Under those circumstances I thought he played well.

The second string quarterback doesn't get many reps at all in the first place, regardless of first or second string.

Like I've said before, even without experience, his raw ability to pick up yards with his legs gives him a safety outlet that counterbalances his lack of experience.