What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Originally posted by Marsh:
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by goldstandard333:
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

In the meantime, CK learning and improving as well. He should be ready to go in case of injury, and then challenge for the starting spot next season.

Agreed. Although some don't believe he has the capacity to learn and improve as well. He's just a dumb kid with a rocket arm and speed(aka plaground qb), that's why harbaugh and baalke traded up to draft him(Al Davis moment).

Am I imagining things, I thought I read somewhere the 49ers war room burst out in cheers when the Bengals drafted Dalton instead of Kaepernick. Yet I've seen multiple posters say that they clearly wanted Dalton.

Are you serious?

i never read that!

Me neither. And I paid close attention to the draft.

In the meantime, CK learning and improving as well. He should be ready to go in case of injury, and then challenge for the starting spot next season.

Agreed. Although some don't believe he has the capacity to learn and improve as well. He's just a dumb kid with a rocket arm and speed(aka plaground qb), that's why harbaugh and baalke traded up to draft him(Al Davis moment).

Am I imagining things, I thought I read somewhere the 49ers war room burst out in cheers when the Bengals drafted Dalton instead of Kaepernick. Yet I've seen multiple posters say that they clearly wanted Dalton.

Are you serious?

i never read that!

Lol cheered for he bengals stealing JHs pick lol

Are you serious?

i never read that!

You didn't have to read it. The draft room could be seen celebrating on TV. It was pretty widely reported at the time.
Sit for one more year (2013) and be ready to challenge for a starting spot. In the meantime, learn the playbook, master the offense, play smart football when opportunities are given, be better than Alex Smith in the things he doesn't do well, and watch lots of tape of Steve Young. Getting a coach to work out with during the offseason would help as well.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Are you serious?

i never read that!

You didn't have to read it. The draft room could be seen celebrating on TV. It was pretty widely reported at the time.

Not sure where people got the idea that Jim H wanted Dalton. There might be articles or rumors about it but they are just RUMORS.

I doubt JH will come out before the draft honestly stating which QB they want to pick and when.

I doubt they will state which QB they wanted to draft instead AFTER the draft too.

So, its moot point to keep hating on CK and saying JH wanted Dalton. We will never know unless u worked with JH and / or were in the draft room during that draft day!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Even if he did want Dalton, he'd be an idiot to hint that Kap wasn't his original choice.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 8, 2012 at 1:40 AM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Sit for one more year (2013) and be ready to challenge for a starting spot. In the meantime, learn the playbook, master the offense, play smart football when opportunities are given, be better than Alex Smith in the things he doesn't do well, and watch lots of tape of Steve Young. Getting a coach to work out with during the offseason would help as well.

THIS!
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I would like to see kap get some playing time in mop up, as there is always the chance that somebody, eg, SEA will pay a bundle for a 2nd string qB who has a great quarter or two. Actually it wasn't the money, it was the draft picks, and Floyd couldn't even start. That is a reason to get kap some PT, in that if one of the 20 teams who need qBs want him, he has a great draft swap value. But he has to have some good PT to establish that. Mop up only, no starting and please, no Wildkap plays rigth when we are in the midst of a great drive. Coach learned his lesson on that one,.

Are you serious? After all that coaching. In this league, you are one hit away from needing a someone who can step in and please don't say Scotty T., cause if he truly was better (and I like Scott), he would be ahead of Kaep. A lot of people who think ST is better are only basing that on pre against 3rd and 4th stringers and didn't see a squat worth of training camp or practice and film to make qualified judgment. I don't want to have to waste another draft on another QB to replace him later. Then if with all that training from JH and GR he turns into someone who comes back and bites us in the a$$ for someone else. We don't even know what JH and Baalke truly think or feel about the QB situation otherwise they would not have entertained the thought about kicking the tires with Peyton or giving AS only a 3 year contract with a small bonus. We will know after this season. Especially if they win the SB with AS, if they truly believe in him, they will redo his contract, if they don't, that speaks volumes about what they think and feel and what their plans are. Especially if Kaep gets playing time as you are saying and does good. As the saying goes, action speaks louder than words. Especially with Dashon and Bowman free agents next year.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Not sure where people got the idea that Jim H wanted Dalton. There might be articles or rumors about it but they are just RUMORS.

I doubt JH will come out before the draft honestly stating which QB they want to pick and when.

I doubt they will state which QB they wanted to draft instead AFTER the draft too.

So, its moot point to keep hating on CK and saying JH wanted Dalton. We will never know unless u worked with JH and / or were in the draft room during that draft day!

If you were in the draft room and saw the board, you might get an idea, then again, who is to say, only JH and Baalke knew. They could have rated both the same and it didn't matter to them for all we know. They may have moved up in the draft knowing one of them would be there.
Originally posted by susweel:
it was just one game, I know JH likes to keep the defense on its heels.

I think it is based on who we play and what they bring and how we can exploit it. Keeping them guessing, not wanting to expose to much of it or its variations and save it for the playoffs or other situations.

Originally posted by MrTruth:
He has IT, that's why he's still on the bench in his 2nd year while according to you AS is a below average QB.

Troll harder.

Joe Montana had the it factor but didn't start till his 3rd season and that was against Steve Deberg who had the numbers but the niners were a losing team which was not his fault. The niners got all the parts on D when Montana started that year.
Originally posted by zomg_its_ryan:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by zomg_its_ryan:
Obviously this team is built off of having a great defense, a great running game, and a quarterback that doesn't turn the ball over. With that being said, that's not really a good thing for Alex because Harbaugh can go out and find himself a quarterback that doesn't turn the ball over OR he may think that's what he already has in Kaepernick. We all know from the pursuit of Peyton Manning, Harbaugh knows that finding a good/great quarterback will put this team over the top, which doesn't tend to give Alex any leverage.

To me, last offseason if we had lost Alex, I don't think the organization would be scrambling around in dyer need of a quarterback. It seemed to me as if the organization was ready to move on with Kaepernick, which is why I believe Alex may lose his job next year or the year after. This is all my personal opinion, but that's how it looked to me last offseason. Harbaugh knows that the way this team is built that they could have moved on with Kaepernick and still managed to win a bunch of games. If Alex didn't accept the offer he was given, I doubt the organization would give him a penny more than what they had offered.

Baalke is a cold bloody GM aided by Parathe's (sp?) capalogy expertise. Look at how they have been handling the vets like Alex and Dashon so far. They have a value and stick pretty much to it. They have an idea of the players what they are going to do when the draft and FA comes around. Now they are given more leverage to the point that the players are more likely to resign with the niners for less now that they are winning-should I sign for more money but land on a s**tty team, or take less but at least enjoy the winning.

Isn't Baalke from the Belichick tree or was it the Parcells? The way you just described Baalke reminds me of how the Patriots operate.
Baalke is from the Parcell tree, but so is BB.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by MrTruth:
He has IT, that's why he's still on the bench in his 2nd year while according to you AS is a below average QB.

Troll harder.

Joe Montana had the it factor but didn't start till his 3rd season and that was against Steve Deberg who had the numbers but the niners were a losing team which was not his fault. The niners got all the parts on D when Montana started that year.

3 years? Is this a typo?
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

No one is hating on CK. Harbaugh only personally saw two QBs on their pro workout days and had two QBs come in for a private workout. Those two are CK and Dalton. These are facts and not RUMORS.....
Even they did want Dalton, they still drafted a qb so he still must have been high on their board like a 1A/1B situation. What if they did draft Dalton? What would've happened to Alex? I think drafting Kaep helped Alex keep his job here.... Dalton was considered more pro ready, Kaep was considered the 2-3 year project qb with huge upside. Most draft experts had Kaep going anywhere from late 1st to middle second round, I think the sporting news had Kaep as the #2 qb in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone