First off...big ups to the SF Giants!!!! Twice in three years. Way to represent the Bay.
1) Alex Smith running tally: Stats after Eagles game in 2010 (Monday Night "We Want Carr" game). 33 Games, 902 Att, 576 Comp, 6638 Yards, 45 Tds, 13 INTs, 96.58 QB Rating. In just the Harbaugh era (including Playoffs), He is 454 of 722 for 5298 yards, 34 TDs, and 10 INTs. That's a 94.98 rating. With only a 2 point drop in rating, I think that illustrates my point about his change starting before Harbaugh. Harbaugh has made a big difference, I'm just saying the change began before Harbaugh. Alex is currently the fourth highest rated QB in the NFL with a 102.1 rating on the season. He has the 2 highest rated single games in 49ers history (yes, better than either Young or Montana ever posted) with TWO games this season in the 157 range. Look, Alex is what he is. He does his job. Is he in the Rodgers/Manning/Brady class? No. He doesn't need to be. I'd rather have a balanced attack anyway. He did get away with one last night tho because there is a very good chance that tipped pass to Walker gets picked off if it wasn't tipped.
2) Aldon Smith: Still beastly. Pressure is tough this year with so many teams playing a short passing game, but Aldon is still getting it done.
3) Pass D: Even tho they gave up 290 yards to Skelton (almost ALL garbage yards after game was decided), the scheme that they are playing is fantastic. They are playing coverage which is forcing defenses to move to a short passing game. When was the last time tou saw them give up a long TD pass? They haven't. They are forcing teams to check down and run short passes all day. That is why the sacks are down...teams are getting rid of the ball very quickly. I'm perfectly fine with that. BTW...Chris Culliver is turning into a very good player.
4) Run D: WOW. The only reason they even had 7 yards was a 10+ yards run on a 3rd and long draw play at the end of the half. That was domination.
5) Scheme on O: Love it. Got back to basics. Ran the ball effectively, forced the D to commit more men to stop it, then passed the ball successfully and dominated the game from beginning to end.
6) Penalties/Sacks: There is one trend that bothers me. This has really been happening all year. They are driving the ball well and then when they start to get close they take a sack....or get a holding penalty....or a false start....or a delay of game. They play well and then shoot themselves in the foot. This game could have been even more lopsided if not for mistakes. Alex also needs to stop taking those sacks throw the ball away.
7) Moss: The old man still has something. He clearly isn't the same guy he was a few years ago, but there is something there. I was happy to see him break loose like that if for no other reason it will continue to force defenses to account for him.
8) Crabtree: Big game for him. I'd like to see alot more plays in the redzone like that first TD. Crab has some of the longest arms you will ever see and very strong hands. He can be a weapon in there...especially if defenses are keying in on Davis and Moss.
9) Goldson: Again...as I have stated many times, I haven't been his biggest fan. He's having a hell of a year tho. That hit was a thing of beauty.
10) 6-2 at the bye: Damn...two weeks till the next game!?! I hate that!! It will be good to get everyone healthy and rested. Its very nie to go into the break with a 2 game lead on the division, a 2-0 record IN the division, and a win against both the 2nd and 3rd place teams in the division. Its been a great half-season. Lets hope for more of the same in the second half!!!
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 30, 2012 at 10:49 AM ]