LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 157 users in the forums

Week 8: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
First off...big ups to the SF Giants!!!! Twice in three years. Way to represent the Bay.

3) Pass D: Even tho they gave up 290 yards to Skelton (almost ALL garbage yards after game was decided), the scheme that they are playing is fantastic. They are playing coverage which is forcing defenses to move to a short passing game. When was the last time tou saw them give up a long TD pass? They haven't. They are forcing teams to check down and run short passes all day. That is why the sacks are down...teams are getting rid of the ball very quickly. I'm perfectly fine with that. BTW...Chris Culliver is turning into a very good player.

290 yards to a team that abandoned the run and threw 50+ times is nothing to be ashamed of. It's actually super-impressive.

This. Especially when that team has a guy named Fitzgerald.
Originally posted by fastforward:
First off...big ups to the SF Giants!!!! Twice in three years. Way to represent the Bay.

3) Pass D: Even tho they gave up 290 yards to Skelton (almost ALL garbage yards after game was decided), the scheme that they are playing is fantastic. They are playing coverage which is forcing defenses to move to a short passing game. When was the last time tou saw them give up a long TD pass? They haven't. They are forcing teams to check down and run short passes all day. That is why the sacks are down...teams are getting rid of the ball very quickly. I'm perfectly fine with that. BTW...Chris Culliver is turning into a very good player.

290 yards to a team that abandoned the run and threw 50+ times is nothing to be ashamed of. It's actually super-impressive.

This. Especially when that team has a guy named Fitzgerald.

The Cards don't deserve a Talent like his... Fitz's abilities are going to waste. When Warner was there... my god... I hated thinkin about what he was gonna do to the niner secondary. Poor guy...

That was my point.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Interesting what they said in the power rankings about culliver on NFL.com

"Alex Smith's night (18-for-19, 232 yards passing and three touchdowns) was the best performance of his career. Perhaps lost in Smith's amazing night, and definitely lost among all the studs on defense, was the play of second-year cornerback Chris Culliver. Is it just me, Niner fans, or is this guy pretty darn good? Hit me up @Harrison_NFL if I'm overrating Culliver, but he's more effective than Carlos Rogers, right?"

Ya. I've been noticing Culliver since the beginning of the season. He's playing really well right now.
playing good enough not to have a thread

I don't understand what you mean...I mentioned him in my post...
  • Chico
  • Veteran
2) Aldon Smith: Still beastly. Pressure is tough this year with so many teams playing a short passing game, but Aldon is still getting it done.

remember, Aldon was robbed a few sacks this year. He could easily have about 3 more sacks making it 10.5!!! When we drafted him, we were all saying "who is this kid?"

well, now we know and now we know why we're just arm chair GM's and Balke is well our GM!
Originally posted by winner21:
As usual...great write up!

This
I don't think Smith had a proper grip on that ball that got tipped to Walker. You're right it should have been picked.

It came out of his hand funny almost as if he held it a nanosecond too long as he was completing his motion.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Oct 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM ]
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by RYPTOUT:
Would like to add... that I'm glad they didn't play with Kaepernick and that WildKat Boolshiet. All it does is ruin the rhythm that Alex is always tryin to establish. Run that shiet in practice. You ain't fooling nobody anymore.

A+ for a very dominating game... Top to bottom.

Always look forward to your write up Marv. Good stuff...

I think it's a wrinkle we could possibly add, but we have to find an identity first. Mixing it in while we are still getting to know what we can do was only hurting our growing potential. Let us find a groove first, let us find where he may be useful, and then use him. Don't just throw him in there to throw him in there.

And about Culliver. Is it too early to call this guy a shut down corner? It may be a stretch but look at his body of work against some amazing WR talents. He's got the complete package. Speed, natural instincts, ability to catch up, and he plays "big" if that makes any sense. He plays like he's 6.4 or something. Not sure what it is but he seems taller than 6 ft out there.

Agree. Culliver only gets better the more he plays and seems to play even better when the competition is better. This kid could turn in to a great steal for us.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Agree. Culliver only gets better the more he plays and seems to play even better when the competition is better. This kid could turn in to a great steal for us.

for the most part him and brown play on the outside in man while carlos rogers plays the slot.
yall remember when douchette and dashon got into it last season? lmao

"Alex Smith's night (18-for-19, 232 yards passing and three touchdowns) was the best performance of his career. Perhaps lost in Smith's amazing night, and definitely lost among all the studs on defense, was the play of second-year cornerback Chris Culliver. Is it just me, Niner fans, or is this guy pretty darn good? Hit me up @Harrison_NFL if I'm overrating Culliver, but he's more effective than Carlos Rogers, right?"

Ya. I've been noticing Culliver since the beginning of the season. He's playing really well right now.

I believe he meant there would be a thread about how bad he is if he wasnt playing so well.....
Originally posted by ubaisore:

I believe he meant there would be a thread about how bad he is if he wasnt playing so well.....

This
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
Great post as usual, Marvin.

Alex only attempted 4 passes in the second half and 19 overall. Way different approach than the average NFL team. Fine with me.

I would like to see them cut down on the dumb penalties. Alex could perhaps throw it away once in a while instead of taking a sack. Otherwise not much to complain about for sure!

I think Alex is concerned about QB ratings. An incompletion brings down the ratings a sack only makes the OL look bad! So since Alex doesnot put up 300 yd passing stats, the ratings have been the argument for most to defend him. But great play by Alex trowing to Crabtree on that first touchdown, I have never seen him trust a wr and give him a chance to make a play.

What drives me mad is Alex has been in the league for 8 years and he gets delay of game penalties when the team is driving to score. Usually this seems to occur when a negative play occurs 1 or 2 plays in advance.

But great game by Alex and the wr and especially our defensive backs and Patrick Willis in coverage
Originally posted by GORO:

Alex only attempted 4 passes in the second half and 19 overall. Way different approach than the average NFL team. Fine with me.

I would like to see them cut down on the dumb penalties. Alex could perhaps throw it away once in a while instead of taking a sack. Otherwise not much to complain about for sure!

I think Alex is concerned about QB ratings. An incompletion brings down the ratings a sack only makes the OL look bad! So since Alex doesnot put up 300 yd passing stats, the ratings have been the argument for most to defend him. But great play by Alex trowing to Crabtree on that first touchdown, I have never seen him trust a wr and give him a chance to make a play.

What drives me mad is Alex has been in the league for 8 years and he gets delay of game penalties when the team is driving to score. Usually this seems to occur when a negative play occurs 1 or 2 plays in advance.

But great game by Alex and the wr and especially our defensive backs and Patrick Willis in coverage
I can't agree more... this pi$$@s me off so much... like stubbing a toe! Isn't this fundamental stuff?! I can't help but to question and think "why doesn't he just run a play ...can't he call something on his own...??"
Originally posted by GORO:

Well, to be fair....the offense is based on taking the clock to the very brink before snapping the ball so there is very little wiggle room. I do see your point tho.

ALL QBs make that mistake from time to time. It does have to stop tho.
Share 49ersWebzone