There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

For WZ members that have been following football 35 + years

How does Alex Smith s skill set and style of play compare to past QBs that didn't put up huge numbers, but won championships? I would like to know how Alex Smith measures up to guys like Bart Starr, Bob Griese, Phil Simms, and even Troy Aikman. I am not saying that Alex is equal to any of the aforementioned QBs, but more so, for what he does for the team, how does he compare to what those QBs did for theirs? And in your opinion, does he seem capable of being the type of QB that can lead the team to multiple championship games and/or Super Bowls without putting up the huge numbers on a regular basis, similar to guys like Starr, Griese, etc.
I would compare him favorably in terms of mobility and football IQ to either QB all in all. As far as competitiveness I think Aikman and especially Simms were superior in that regard in that they played pretty chippy. As for accuracy, I would take Aikman over or equal to anyone in the history of this game but I think Alex can rival Simms in this regard. To arm strength, Alex would be behind these guys but Alex has an arm that can compare with Joe Montana. Work ethic wise, Alex is right there with the best of them, all - time. Alex, let us not forget is in year 2 of his current system with one full offseason with these coaches. He puts in the work and has the necessary physical tools and the IQ to play at a high level. Also, he seems to have the right coaching staff now and a more than capable supporting cast. If he can play with a little more poise and awareness when he in under duress, this team can win the championship with him under center. This game is one of inches and a lot of luck. Ask the Giants. Also, Alex does have to trust his receivers a lot more when the time comes. This is an area where he lagged far behind Aikman or Simms. I wasn't old enough to remember Griese or Starr play much. There may be other posters with better knowledge on this topic than I.
Love your post Pillbusta and see very much the same things. I like the comment about chippyness as that is definitely something Smith is developing under Harbaugh that was missing.

Hard to compare athletes like this but I loved Griese and hated Starr...probably because Starr won all the time and my 9ers didn't! Griese was smart, mobile, good arm. He was rattled some in tight situations...but most QBs can be if you hit them often enough.

At this point I do not see Smith in a league with Star or Griese, but Simms and Aikman? Closer. Aikman could get a ball out fast and accurately, but was not nearly as mobile and he had a dominant line, RB, TE and WRs...so it's not a fair comparison.

Smith's arm is strong enough but not the kind to fire a rocket at the last second down the field. Watched Rodgers hit a forty yard pass running left, throwing back right, while falling back left...how the h*ll does he do that? So Smith has to develop a chemistry with his receivers and throw in rhythm or he will not succeed. Much like Griese and Montana. Guys like Rodgers can wait a bit longer to throw because the ball will get there faster...like Aikman.

Griese was one of my favorites because he could buy time and just seemed to be a complete QB. His attitude may be closer to Smith's than any of the other guys...smart, calm, not a rah rah guy.

Fran Tarkenton was another favorite...with his crazy scrambles to buy time. If he had a better line and perhaps a bit more patience...

Funny thing...all these guys had great coaches. Hmm...
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 27, 2012 at 9:58 AM ]
I dont think Ive ever heard Alex Smith's name held in the same breath as Troy Aikman, Bart Starr, Phil Simms except for here in the webzone.

This is grasping at straws fellas. All of the aforementioned led dynasties and/or dynasty type teams. You base your judgment(s) on Alex based on one year's worth of play which led us to the NFCC, and now you think he can be compared to them. Im sorry, but anyone outside of Ninerland would laugh at this.
Do you always have to interject negativity? No one is grasping at straws, we are discussing attributes of QBs and which have or do not have qualities...including Smith who has some attributes. To say he doesn't have any qualities worth discussing is just...sad...especially as you seem to have a need to discuss them.
Alex smith is much closer to tim couch than anyone on that list!
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
Alex smith is much closer to tim couch than anyone on that list!

Good one...always appreciate your contributions!
Sans the hangover. I'd say he reminds me of the Snake. Kenny Stabler
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Do you always have to interject negativity? No one is grasping at straws, we are discussing attributes of QBs and which have or do not have qualities...including Smith who has some attributes. To say he doesn't have any qualities worth discussing is just...sad...especially as you seem to have a need to discuss them.


Ok, so why stop there. Lets compare Alex's personality to Brady's. Or his dedication to the Niners to Young's.

This is absolutely grasping at straws. Bart Starr and Troy Aikman are HOF players. Phill Simms has a SB ring. What exactly are you trying to compare here ? Taking the size of Aikman's hands, Simms nutsack, and Starr's shoulder width and then say, "hey guys, look. Alex is just like them."

Im in favor of Alex playing for us right now as well. But these "statistical" comparisons dating back to the 60s to validate Alex's career are a bit lowm in my opinion.
Originally posted by Faraz80:
Ok, so why stop there. Lets compare Alex's personality to Brady's. Or his dedication to the Niners to Young's.

This is absolutely grasping at straws. Bart Starr and Troy Aikman are HOF players. Phill Simms has a SB ring. What exactly are you trying to compare here ? Taking the size of Aikman's hands, Simms nutsack, and Starr's shoulder width and then say, "hey guys, look. Alex is just like them."

Im in favor of Alex playing for us right now as well. But these "statistical" comparisons dating back to the 60s to validate Alex's career are a bit lowm in my opinion.

If you find this thread so futile please feel free to find one to your liking rather than being rude to those who are enjoying what Lifelongniner intended.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 27, 2012 at 10:55 AM ]
This was an excellent post until Faraz80 came in w/the negative crap! Are you capable of addressing the topic intelligently?

The most underrated QB of all time was Sonny Jurgenson. He couldn't scramble very well but is one of the best passers of all time and was tough as nails.
Attributes:
Work Ethic - Hard to say in comparison but there is little doubt that Alex works his tail off.

Accuracy: I think Simms still holds the record for SBowl completion %. This is, IMO, Alex's biggest weakness. His passes are either too high, too slow on deep passes, doesn't hit receivers in stride or receivers have to wait for the ball.

Running Ability: Tarkington and Steve Young were the best. Alex rates very good here. Ask the Saints.

Competitiveness: As for the QB's you named, Simms was VERY competitive. Y.A. Tittle was also VERY competitive and very tough. Alex is the middle of the pack.

IQ: Starr was brilliant. He had a lot, reasonably good arm not a very good runner BUT excellent decision making. He also had a similar type team - run first mentality. In this category Alex is up there with the better QB's.

Toughness: I rate Alex as on of the toughest QB's of all time - both mentally and physically. This guy has taken more negativity from everywhere and NEVER fired back, sulked or ran for cover. He has been sacked way too much.

He still, IMO, needs to get better and hopefully get better fast.
  • mod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,961
lack poise under physical (not mental) pressure has always been his most noticeable fault I think
Good post LasVegas--I agree with your assessments. YA was pounded more than most, if not all, and remained a tough old bird. I never liked Starr for many reasons including his tendency to win big games () and make good decisions in hopeless situations (a bit like Favre?). I think Alex knows the heat is on from CK and that he has to play better, but the past two games, whether from the finger injury or ?, have given folks a chance to take shots at him. Overall, he is playing better this year.

Originally posted by modninerfan:
lack poise under physical (not mental) pressure has always been his most noticeable fault I think

He lacked poise under Singletary and Nolan, and I attribute that to being told to "make something happen" when there was no good plan to do so. He has played much more under control with JH as a HC...no coincidence!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 27, 2012 at 12:05 PM ]
He's more like Phil Simms and Aikman as of right now. Closer to Simms. Giants ran the ball, playaction passing, ball control, good defense to clean up sh*tty outings in certain games.
Originally posted by Faraz80:
I dont think Ive ever heard Alex Smith's name held in the same breath as Troy Aikman, Bart Starr, Phil Simms except for here in the webzone.

This is grasping at straws fellas. All of the aforementioned led dynasties and/or dynasty type teams. You base your judgment(s) on Alex based on one year's worth of play which led us to the NFCC, and now you think he can be compared to them. Im sorry, but anyone outside of Ninerland would laugh at this.

Even though I've watched football for over 40 years I have difficulty comparing Smith to past QB's as well. But I'm curious if you are older than 50 and therefore have the requirements to speak on the subject.