LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Would Alex Smith be on this Roster if Eddie D. was Still Owner of this TEAM ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would Alex Smith be on this Roster if Eddie D. was Still Owner of this TEAM ?

Originally posted by Afrikan:

yet, after so many years he still has problems with Basic stuff. So what makes some of you so sure things would be different with a different coach?

Walsh use to start every off season retraining his QBs on the basics...over and over again. Simple things like the many types of drops he taught QBs to use. This has been lacking in forty niner land since Walsh retired...almost. McCarthy did the same thing in GB and likely with the 20 year old rookie Smith. Now why on earth would Walsh waste all that time on teaching Montana the basics every year? Nolan didn't see any reason for it. Neither did Singletary.

Turner and Martz have both stated that Smith was great to work with and that they would have liked to work more with him. Martz also said Smith was injured during Martz' two years with the niners so he couldn't take part in passing drills. So why can't you just stop with the "he had all these wonderful coaches and didn't learn anything" crap?
Alex had

Mike McCarthy
Norv Turner
Ted Tollner
Mike Martz
Mike Johnson
Jim Harbaugh
Greg Roman

one way or another all teach him how to play the QB position.

yet, after so many years he still has problems with Basic stuff. So what makes some of you so sure things would be different with a different coach?

Dropping back in a straight line is difficult
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Walsh use to start every off season retraining his QBs on the basics...over and over again. Simple things like the many types of drops he taught QBs to use. This has been lacking in forty niner land since Walsh retired...almost. McCarthy did the same thing in GB and likely with the 20 year old rookie Smith. Now why on earth would Walsh waste all that time on teaching Montana the basics every year? Nolan didn't see any reason for it. Neither did Singletary.

Turner and Martz have both stated that Smith was great to work with and that they would have liked to work more with him. Martz also said Smith was injured during Martz' two years with the niners so he couldn't take part in passing drills. So why can't you just stop with the "he had all these wonderful coaches and didn't learn anything" crap?

You getting mad dtg_9er?
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Alex had

Mike McCarthy
Norv Turner
Ted Tollner
Mike Martz
Mike Johnson
Jim Harbaugh
Greg Roman

one way or another all teach him how to play the QB position.

Dropping back in a straight line is difficult

Damn hashmarks must be crooked.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
You getting mad dtg_9er?

Never, but sometimes a direct rhetorical flourish makes a greater impact.
Let's keep the temperature down in here.

And to revert to the topic, it is difficult to assess Eddie's impact without taking into account Bill Walsh's view. And possibly Carmen Policy.

Walsh was a long term thinker. He took Steve Young in a trade at a time when the NFL wasn't sure if he was a running back or a qb and wasn't sure if he was just a gunslinger, and kept him back whilst working on him.

I don't think Walsh would have thrown Smith to the wolves, though. I think he would have been brought along more as Rodgers was.
I think we would still have Alex but would we have ever gotten to the point of a decade of what the hell no Eddie would have set up all the pieces. I like Smith but no one can deny that guy has had probably the hardest and most improbable career as an NFL QB. If Eddie were here Alex woulda have been groomed to start not just thrown to the wolves. Also I don't think Eddie would have tolerated our receiving core... I mean we don't have a true #1 receiver yet. however this is all speculation and the past is the past here is to Smith growing and the NINERS showing the league that we are the best!
No because if we had Eddie D we wouldn't have drafted him because we wouldn't of had the worst record in football.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Tom Brady would've been drafted in 2000 and Alex Smith a bust with the Browns

Uhm no! They had a chance of drafting him, he was in for a workout and they passed on him.

In 2000 they drafted Gio Carmazzi, and Walsh said that he feels that they have picked up the best QB in the draft.

Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by Faraz80:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
If we did in fact pick Alex Smith and Eddie was still around...things would be much different. Alex would have had a legit coach and supporting cast from day one. He would have continuity and stability. Now if Alex still was mediocre after 3 years then that's a different story...but can anyone here seriously doubt that Alex would be a MUCH different QB if say...a coach like Harbaugh was here in 2005? Imagine if Smith had Harbaugh/Roman for 7 years and we signed legit weapons in 05...

Things would be vastly different. Alex would easily be a top 5 QB consistently IMO.

I disagree actually. From what Ive seen, Alex has shown very little in terms of being a self dependent quarterback. His success has a direct correlation with the success of the other facets on our team (run/defense(, and the fews games where he's actually won the game for us with his arm can be easily offset by games where his arm cost us a W. I just dont think Eddie would tolerate this type of inconsistency.

All coaches have bad days. Im sure there were days when Walsh/Seifert didnt put together the best gameplan, yet Montana/Young had the ability to carry the team. Alex does not have that. s**tty gameplanning in the Alex Smith era has always led to bad losses.

If I remember correctly we had several bad losses with Montana and Young.......

Sure we did. But how many potential losses were evaded in spite of poor gameplanning because those two guys had the ability to overcome deficiencies...
LOL at the people that think Walsh could have made Alex into a great QB. Not even close.
LOL at the people that think Walsh could have made Alex into a great QB. Not even close.

No one thinks this way. It's all in your head. A good qb --yes.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
If we did in fact pick Alex Smith and Eddie was still around...things would be much different. Alex would have had a legit coach and supporting cast from day one. He would have continuity and stability. Now if Alex still was mediocre after 3 years then that's a different story...but can anyone here seriously doubt that Alex would be a MUCH different QB if say...a coach like Harbaugh was here in 2005? Imagine if Smith had Harbaugh/Roman for 7 years and we signed legit weapons in 05...

Things would be vastly different. Alex would easily be a top 5 QB consistently IMO.

I disagree actually. From what Ive seen, Alex has shown very little in terms of being a self dependent quarterback. His success has a direct correlation with the success of the other facets on our team (run/defense(, and the fews games where he's actually won the game for us with his arm can be easily offset by games where his arm cost us a W. I just dont think Eddie would tolerate this type of inconsistency.

All coaches have bad days. Im sure there were days when Walsh/Seifert didnt put together the best gameplan, yet Montana/Young had the ability to carry the team. Alex does not have that. s**tty gameplanning in the Alex Smith era has always led to bad losses.

If I remember correctly we had several bad losses with Montana and Young.......

Sure we did. But how many potential losses were evaded in spite of poor gameplanning because those two guys had the ability to overcome deficiencies...

LOL at the bolded there. What do you call a coach that has 1,000 bad days in a row? Mike Nolan or Mike Singletary. lololololol
BUT, the real question is whether Bill Walsh could have worked with A. Smith to make him a keeper. As much as I try to support Smith and note it is not just his fault, strictly on his QB qualities, I think Walsh would not have kept him.

1. Physical skills - Walsh would have been fine with his arm strength and athleticism
2. Football IQ - Walsh would have been fine here as well -- in the classroom
3. Football IQ on the field - ability to read defenses and make quick decisions to find the best receiver - NO. Walsh would have been terribly frustrated here.

On the third issue, I think Walsk AND Eddie D would have been going a different direction by year 3.

There is only one caveat here -- when Walsh started implementing the WCO, defensive coverage scheme were MUCH simpler - man coverage and zone coverages were pretty basic. Maybe ASmith could have excelled in the early 49ers WCO. But by the late1980s, defenses were adjusting and the offensive reads and adjustments were much more complex. Montana and the offense had mastered the system and could improvise from it well. Young was tutored in it for years before he took over, and then even so he struggled for a while. But I just don't see ASmith doing well in the in the 1986 and later WCO.
Share 49ersWebzone