Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is this the type of WCO you expected?

Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
is it the type i expected? Yes

Is it the type i hoped for? No

Get the ball to Davis

This
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I'm a Stanford fan, so yeah this is what I expected...I like it, I think it's called winning, it has been while since we did it, but I'm pretty sure it's called winning!

LOL...yeah, I believe that's what they call it!
Another thing Bill Walsh was a master in was attacking defensive weaknesses with the WCO and continuing to exploit it. Aside from that Seattle TD drive the only time I see us sticking to a play that works is in the running game.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Another thing Bill Walsh was a master in was attacking defensive weaknesses with the WCO and continuing to exploit it. Aside from that Seattle TD drive the only time I see us sticking to a play that works is in the running game.

Yes, and I really liked the short passes to the backs! Some call them checkdowns but under Walsh the drip, drip drip of these types of passes would drive defenses nuts until they started over playing them...then boom! TD. I hope Roman has the same intent, but as you say--they don't stay with one thing long enough for the D to over react.

Yeah, it's not like we have one of the best scheming teams in the league. NCommand for coach!
I said this from the begining of the JH era, anybody expecting the WCO of Bill Walsh are in for a disapointment. They power ran the ball first. It seem like a passing scheme first because of Luck's ability. Everyone assumed because he talked with Bill Walsh a bit that he would do things like Bill. I don't even consider this a WCO. It is more a run game of the old black and blue division, the only similarity to me is that they are very creative with the run the way Walsh was with the pass. The name is a misnomer.
We're winning right? alright good. I expected that.
Honestly i was expecting more of an evolution to an offense similar to what they run in New England, with a bit more emphasis on the run. I was expecting more creativity from the TE position, and with play action passes, and for me that has been the biggest letdown. What we run works so im not complaining.
this team is built to run the ball.

so i expect us to run the ball.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Short answer is no. I'm no WCO expert, but aside from scheme, I simply expected a more explosive pass game. Expected more downfield passes, even though others were right to state that I shouldn't. I thought we would be clicking better by now.. but I haven't lost hope that we will be.

The slants have been more hit-or-miss than they should be. I can live with the short pass game, but I'd like to see more YAC. We are the 6th worst in YAC. Not sure how that fits in with number of passes vs other teams, but I get that part. I still think guys are not breaking enough tackles they should break. No more Kaeper-keepers... and I'd love to see our receivers attack the football when the opportunities come.

Overall, just underwhelmed many times.. but I expect things to get better... and be clicking well by at least December.

I dont put that on the WRs or QB. I put that on the play calling. We run way too many corner routes and come backs, or hitch type routes. We have a conservative QB with even more conserative play calling...

Edit: I will blame the QB a little. Last game I pointed this out and thought the play calling might have to do with Smiths incosistent to poor judgement speed and space. He seems to struggle hitting moving targets not named Davis.

I find it weird He can hit Davis in stride... but any other receiver he has trouble hitting... is there just that much of a disconnect with him and the receiving core. or is he in the back of his head realizing that we have a diva (crabs) a guy who can't really catch unless its a punt (ginn) or a guy who falls like he is made of glass (moss) really only manningham and Davis have no issues other then everyone covers um lol

Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

Yeah, it's not like we have one of the best scheming teams in the league. NCommand for coach!

LOL...in the running game, like Gore said, Roman is a "genius." First down production, without a doubt. Everything else, not very good on "scheme." It doesn't take a coach to see that one!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
To me it doesn't look like the WCO it looks more like some college hybrid pistol offense with some jumbo power running formations.
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
For me it's a big NO! The WCO I'm use to was nothing like this. Especially with the wildkap gimmicks. I'm not sure if it's that we don't have the personnel to run it or we simply aren't running it at all. From what I've seen our WRs can't catch a slant, they either drop it or can't get in front of the DB to shield them from making a play on the ball. HBs being used in the passing game was also a signature of the WCO and we don't use them enough in the flats and screens. We need to go to the signature stuff early and the big plays will come. It not only get's your qb in a rhythm but it gets everyone else in one as well.
I agree with you!

Slants are an easy toss and catch and were huge for us in the past but then we had the greatest wr of all time catching those balls and turning them into game changers in some cases.

We simply don't have a wr on the roster who can take a screen and make that kind of impact. Maybe Jenkins but for some reason, hes on the bench??

Right now, db's can line up directly across the line of scrimage in front of our wr because they don't fear them! In the past, a db would always give Jerry a huge cushion cause they didn't want to get burnt deep, so this let him get open immediately on the slant. Now, our wr's are always blanketed on slants or most other pass plays for that matter.
I don't think we need to get obsessed with terminology. It's not a WCO in the classic 80s sense because the players, the rules, the technology (cameras, microphones, instant replay), even the standard field surfaces has changed too much since then.

So we don't beat this thing to death, how about we call it something else?

The Stanford Smash
The Roman Orgy
The Gorefense
High School Reunion

Anything but "West Coast Offense" which was a misnomer anyway since Walsh a Paul Brown disciple hated that name.

Dave Lapham, a Bengals offensive lineman who played during Walsh's last two years at Cincinnati, says: "To call it the West Coast offense is almost funny because the plays (that Walsh used with the Niners) were the same (he used in Cincinnati). The Midwest Offense might be a better moniker for it."
WCO only in the passing game but everything else from the physical running game to the make your opponent wilt attitude is all Schembechler's Michigan football where Jim had his stay. Even the passing game has the physical philosophy of using the TE extensively. Everything is about wearing the defense into the 4th qtr, then take the win when they are at the tipping point. It's not far from Singletary's philosophy but Jim just knows how to do it much better.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 25, 2012 at 11:40 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone