There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We thought this team could be '84 2.0 but maybe instead...

It will be '88 2.0?

Tough start, battle to get into the playoffs and destroy all teams. Close SB win, but definitely much improved team late in season than early in season.

Of course the main difference is Joseph Clifford Montana vs. Alexander Douglas Smith, however maybe some old vets can remind us about the swing of the '88 season....I think we went 6-5 then finished 10-6.

For as good of a team as we became later that year and ultra dominant the next year......what was so tough about the '88 season?
i think we are the 2011 9ers.

Win one Playoff game lose the next.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Since we are just 6-8 months removed from the 2011 team... good comparison mr. obvious
While another 1-1 in the play offs would be heartbreaking...it is a hell of a lot better than what we have had for the past 12 years.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
While another 1-1 in the play offs would be heartbreaking...it is a hell of a lot better than what we have had for the past 12 years.

we will slowly go back to that if we cant win the big one...our players keep getting more expensive by the year
I would rather be sniffing at the super bowl than at another high draft pick. Jeeez

we will slowly go back to that if we cant win the big one...our players keep getting more expensive by the year

Yes, if only we could get hold of new, younger players more cheaply. Like, when they have finished college . What a shame.
Originally posted by English:

Yes, if only we could get hold of new, younger players more cheaply. Like, when they have finished college . What a shame.
Draft picks are like lottery tickets

Look at this years draft ?

JH will probably do the same next year.
  • jdean
  • Veteran
The 88 team started out 5-2 , then lost 3 of the next 4. Then won 4 of the final 5. They lost the last game to the rams, they had already clinched the division. That was the game phill Simms said we lost on purpose so the giants would be eliminated. Yeah right. So I guess it all depends on the next 4 games if we are like the 88 team.
[ Edited by jdean on Oct 23, 2012 at 10:07 AM ]

• cciowa
  • Veteran

i agree, we went pretty deep last year into the playoffs and now all of a sudden some parts of the fan base are back to thier arrogant 1980's montra of super bowl or bust. super bowl is nice but back to back playoff showings would not be to tragic
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:

i know its tough to hear, but we haven't improved in any way which works good for the regular season.

but, come playoff time where the tougher defenses are playing good and we seem to play awful.
?? 84 2.0 ?? Really ?? Never did anything like that ever cross my mind. Was the author of this thread alive then lol? Not even close my friend.
Legend, unless you were born prior to 1979......[self-censored]

'84 was a reference to a pissed off team that lost an NFCC in heartbreaking fashion the year before.

'85 Bears won super bowl after being shut out in '84 NFCC against us.

'86 Giants won super bowl after losing to Bears in '85 playoffs.

'87 Redskins won after losing '86 NFCC to Giants.

I know my 49er (and NFL) history quite well.
Originally posted by jdean:
The 88 team started out 5-2 , then lost 3 of the next 4. Then won 4 of the final 5. They lost the last game to the rams, they had already clinched the division. That was the game phill Simms said we lost on purpose so the giants would be eliminated. Yeah right. So I guess it all depends on the next 4 games if we are like the 88 team.

Yeah, I know what you mean by the Simms' comment. And I have to comment on it.

Giants fans love to talk it up (and their players do too) to this day.

What they fail to realize is that if we went out to beat the Rams (assuming they wanted to win that game just as much as they did) they wouldn't have been eliminated from the playoffs. So we could have been in a potential scenario where we would face them 3 times in one season, and I don't think anybody wants that (Giants typically never wanted to play Eagles in such scenarios either.....see 2008 playoffs where a potentially best team in the NFL, NY Giants, went one and done after beating Cardinals, Steelers, and Ravens that season).

So yeah, it's a fair argument to some extent, but the implication that we were SCARED to play them is BS (and would they have gone out of their way to get us into the playoffs during the '80s if the roles were reversed???).

The Giants got into the playoffs the next year, and the Rams punked them in Giants stadium with that legendary Flipper Anderson walk off TD in OT. Same Rams team smashed the Eagles the week prior, and were able to get a win against the Giants (excuses, excuses you will hear of course from loyal Gmen followers).

Rams could have had a 10-0 lead in the NFCC had it not been for a brilliant save by Lott. We go on to crush Rams, but you never know how that game could have ended up.

End of the day, fail argument for "laying down like dogs". There's another thing called injuries....