LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Switch to a 4-3 defense already

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
the defense already ONLY sends 4 rushers on almost every play, why not switch.... Seriously we have the players to do AS SOON AS NEXT YEAR.
we would have Smith, Smith, Ice, and Raymac as Dline with Willis, Bowman and Brooks as LBS.. In this upcoming draft we could draft either a DE or LB to fit the system, and when you think about how many draft picks we have, could get both. Which would start or play major minutes compared to this year draft.

My main reason for bringing this to discussion is that we hardly ever use the 3-4 to its full use IMO.. Rarely do we send more then 4 rushers and its seems to me ( at least) that they are always the same guys. When a 3-4 you should be sending everybody and anybody on any given play.

All this post tells me is that you fundamentally are completely missing the purpose of a 3-4 D. Its not about sending more than 4...it's about the O not knowing who the 4th rusher is going to be.

Oh, BTW, the Niners are the #1 ranked D in the NFL so I don;'t understand why anyone would call for ANY change right now.
Originally posted by cwilson830:

Do your really think that our pass rush is good this year?

Don't you think NEXT year that with a front 4 Smith, Smith, Ice, Raymac or a top draft pick would be a better pass rush. You could always put Raymac inside also. The idea isn't that crazy.

All I know is this year's pass rush isn't that good, and Aldon isn't playing as well as he could.

You=Nuts
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Look full disclosure I prefer the 4-3.. That being said... really when you think about can you really say that we run the 3-4 to its FULL effect????

The 3-4 defense is going out of style because teams are going away from the run more and more which makes the 3-4 a bunch of crap. The 3-4 was invented to confuse the offense, which IMO the 9ers don't do. We send the same guys almost every time.

Then be a fan of a team with 4-3 personnel. We have two All-Pro ILBs. Lock it up.

lol if only you knew Bowman was an OLB in a 4-3 when we drafted him

Doesn't mean he'll be as good at OLB as he is at MLB in the NFL. Sorry, the NFL is not the NCAA. Pretty much two different sports.
Do your really think that our pass rush is good this year?

Don't you think NEXT year that with a front 4 Smith, Smith, Ice, Raymac or a top draft pick would be a better pass rush. You could always put Raymac inside also. The idea isn't that crazy.

All I know is this year's pass rush isn't that good, and Aldon isn't playing as well as he could.

What does that have to do with running a 3-4?

Alot considering that the NFL doesn't run the ball anymore. So running an out of date system doesn't really work. There is a reason Ice didn't see more then 5 snaps before playing the Vikings....

Wouldn't you prefer to have the best possible front 4 along with Willis and Bowman and another fast LB that would replace Brooks.

The only thing that would change in a 4-3 is that Aldon would put his hand in the dirt on every down. No personnel change.

Dude...just stop. You don't know what you're talking about.
Originally posted by SaksV:
Put down your video game controller. This is NOT Madden. You can't just "switch" your defensive scheme 1/4 through a professional NFL season by a press of the R2 button. Our D is ranked Top 5 and so we should just toss out a winning formula because we allowed back-to-back 100 yard rushers? Comedy.

Originally posted by awol36:
So what would be so different if we switched to a 4-3...We got a top three defense .... Why screw with it?

I said nothing about THIS YEAR... I'm talking next year.

IMO your would be EFFin crazy to switch defensive schemes mid way through the year.

We just signed Brooks to a $45 Million contract. He's not going to be on the bench next year.

which is fine, I could easily see Brooks as an OLB in a 4-3 or DE in sub packages.

Dude....

Please explain to me what you think the difference is between a 3-4 and a 4-3. Everything you are saying is telling me that you don't truly understand. PLEASE tell me something other than "I prefer the 4-3".
Originally posted by awol36:
Ive seen him set the edge on running plays quite a few times this year. I thought hes done more than ok on defending the run..

He's learning.

I think Aldon's ability to play OLB is good, But he's ability to DE I think could be similar to J. Peppers. Which IMO is HOF.

SMH.
Originally posted by Ninersdeep:
... switch to a 4-3 to improve our pass rush? what DE's do you think we have that are going to be a improvement?

Yeah...because 3-4 teams always have trouble generating Pass Rush. It's not like Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas, Demarcus Ware, Patrick Swilling, Charles Haley, or more recently Demarcus Ware, James Harrison, or Lamar Woodley were ever able to get ot the QB.

SMDH.

Do people on this site actually think a 4-3 is better vs the pass and a 3-4 is better vs the run? that's a$$ backwards peeps. The 49ers moved from the 3-4 that the 49ers had run for years to a 4-3 to stop Emmitt Smith. They drafted BY and Stubby to play inside.

We have arguable the best D in the NFL with the best LB corps in the NFL and the best front 7 in the NFL...

WHY THE HELL SHOULD WE CHANGE ANYTHING!?!
Marvin calm your tits
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Marvin calm your tits

He has a lot of good points, although he is ranting a lot. I like it though!

However, I kind of disagree with him on his last point. A 3-4 is generally better at stopping the run, whereas the 4-3 is generally better at stopping the pass. However, the 49ers of the 90's did have the right personnel to stop Emmit Smith to run the 4-3 against the run successfully. However, there's no excuse for either the 3-4 or the 4-3 to give up a lot on the run or the pass. Both are effective at stopping both if executed properly.

I have no idea what the OP is on though. Our defense would take a big hit switching to the 4-3. We'd still be good, but not as dominant as we are atm. Hell, Justin Smith is not a 4-3 DE. I'm not even sure the last time he played in a 4-3. Probably college... but I could be wrong. So, switching to a 4-3 would take out one of our best defensive players...great idea.
Well a dline of
DE Aldon
DT Ray
DT Justin
DE Brookes

Would be scary but that's essentially what our "rush" package is. And we run that a lot of the time

Marvin calm your tits

No.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Marvin calm your tits

He has a lot of good points, although he is ranting a lot. I like it though!

However, I kind of disagree with him on his last point. A 3-4 is generally better at stopping the run, whereas the 4-3 is generally better at stopping the pass. However, the 49ers of the 90's did have the right personnel to stop Emmit Smith to run the 4-3 against the run successfully. However, there's no excuse for either the 3-4 or the 4-3 to give up a lot on the run or the pass. Both are effective at stopping both if executed properly.

I have no idea what the OP is on though. Our defense would take a big hit switching to the 4-3. We'd still be good, but not as dominant as we are atm. Hell, Justin Smith is not a 4-3 DE. I'm not even sure the last time he played in a 4-3. Probably college... but I could be wrong. So, switching to a 4-3 would take out one of our best defensive players...great idea.

Not really ranting...just replied to every point in the thread that I thought was ludicrous. By the time I got to it tho, it was a 5 page thread. ;-)
Brooks does not have the size for a 4-3 DE.
We have two of the best ILB in the League and now you would put one of them outside?? Whom would you play on the other side?
This thread = epic fail.
Well a dline of
DE Aldon
DT Ray
DT Justin
DE Brookes

Would be scary but that's essentially what our "rush" package is. And we run that a lot of the time

If you have the personnel to run a 3-4, you can run a 4-3. If you have 4-3 personnel only you cannot run a 3-4 because you do not have the NT or the extra OLB's. With the explosion of dual TE's, and big WR's. The OLB who can cover is becoming a premium.

This thread is worrisome because you want to change a defense that is doing really good. The team just need to stunt a little more and blitz, but changing mid seasonis not wise.
Share 49ersWebzone