There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

quarterback controversy

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
When he's actually accomplished something... As of now, the only thing on his resume is a Fed Ex Air and Ground award and a 13-3 record last year as a game manager with a historic D and unprecedented special teams play. Oh, before I forget "Saints game."

I find it funny when guys like Brady, Rogers, Eli, Brees etc. make errors and have bad games or plays its harped upon. "See, Rogers overthrows guys too!"

But those guys have also done something in this league like multiple pro bowls, multiple playoff wins, super bowl titles, super bowl mvps, league mvps etc... So they can get away with a string of bad games and there is no QB controversy. You excpect them to get back into form. Even guys like Rivers get the benefit of the doubt because he's been a winner before. And he's playing like horses**t right now.

That could come from the non stop harping and nit picking at Alex's play, Just thinking out loud.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,892
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
When he's actually accomplished something... As of now, the only thing on his resume is a Fed Ex Air and Ground award and a 13-3 record last year as a game manager with a historic D and unprecedented special teams play. Oh, before I forget "Saints game."

I find it funny when guys like Brady, Rogers, Eli, Brees etc. make errors and have bad games or plays its harped upon. "See, Rogers overthrows guys too!"

But those guys have also done something in this league like multiple pro bowls, multiple playoff wins, super bowl titles, super bowl mvps, league mvps etc... So they can get away with a string of bad games and there is no QB controversy. You excpect them to get back into form. Even guys like Rivers get the benefit of the doubt because he's been a winner before. And he's playing like horses**t right now.
you and i tend to disagree on your interpretation of last year.he was more than a game manager and in my opinion going to green bay and doing something steve young could never do removed the label of game manager from him. Now i know that some of the people who hated him from day one could not wait until he had a couple of subpar games so you can relick the game manager label and slap it on him. Oh by the way since we are throwing alex under the bus please make a note to throw the entire team, including our wonderfull defense and coaches under the bus for the blame they share in the two losses this year. i know that when we win it is due to defense (you can not say special teams this year cept for lee and dave and even our kicker has sucked at times) and when we lose it is all on alex right? i am just trying to follow and connect your dots
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
just debunking all the anti-alexecuses, LOL

Fixed!
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 22, 2012 at 8:07 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I believe Brutus said something like this to Caesar on the way to the Senate. Et tu Oakland?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
This

And unless his brain is in his finger it doesn't explain the poor decision making.

Yes, his decision making is being talked about even by his detractors in the punditry as being excellent...but wait...the anti-Smith folks beg to differ! Harbaugh doesn't know what he's talking about...Alex making great decisions? Hell no! We won't have that! LOL...you are just too much! But carry on!
4th and 15? 5 yard pass......3rd and 10 running out of bounds while Crabtree is open looking at him when we are down by alot of points?.... Randy open in the back of the endzone, but Alex stares at Gore..until Gore has to point out the open man?

not paying attention to the playclock and taking a penalty in a game we are losing to the Giants? he did that last year too.....again sure you can say the coaches have the power to call the time out to help Alex...but I'm sure they think he sees the clock and will get it off in time.

Alex is far far from a QB that makes "great decisions".
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by KaepIn2012:
Except that at least 3 of his INTs were on poor reads...

According to Harbaugh not all of the reads were wrong on the Ints...one or two were wrong. I wonder if any other QBs make wrong reads?

Of course they do. Eli made a bad one this past weekend. But he was able to drop a bomb in stride to his WR while taking a big hit for the win. He has done this multiple times in his career so he has earned the right to have bad reads because he's proven he can make up for it.

Smith hasn't.

ok so Smith isnt allowed to have bad reads? do you even pay attention to what you say and how it doenst make any sense?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I believe Brutus said something like this to Caesar on the way to the Senate. Et tu Oakland?

Its for the good of the Republic....
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 22, 2012 at 8:32 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
4th and 15? 5 yard pass......3rd and 10 running out of bounds while Crabtree is open looking at him when we are down by alot of points?.... Randy open in the back of the endzone, but Alex stares at Gore..until Gore has to point out the open man?

not paying attention to the playclock and taking a penalty in a game we are losing to the Giants? he did that last year too.....again sure you can say the coaches have the power to call the time out to help Alex...but I'm sure they think he sees the clock and will get it off in time.

Alex is far far from a QB that makes "great decisions".

Stafford...4th down...game in the balance...interception! Yeah! Sh*t happens and you sometimes don't find a way to win. The greatest QB in NFL history did not win every game and made bad plays every game...get over it! The day you can't find a bad play for any QB in any game will be in Lake Wobegon.

Edit: By the way...weren't you one of the people who said Smith should trust his receivers? Where's the YAC?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 22, 2012 at 9:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I believe Brutus said something like this to Caesar on the way to the Senate. Et tu Oakland?

Its for the good of the Republic....

And we all know from history that it led to the end of the republic! All hail Dukes!
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:
If anyone here is serious about replacing the QB when we're in 1st place in our division, won 5 out of 7 games so far then it is my (possibly warnable) opinion that you just might be a f**king idiot.


Jim Harbaugh drafted Colin Kaepernick to be his QB, and he will be the QB when Jim Harbaugh think's he is good and ready, until then, Alex Smith is our BEST option at QB, I don't give a s**t what anyone says, you just don't replace the QB when you're 5-2 and in 1st place coming off a 13-3 season.

This is just beyond ridiculous now, it's like some of ya'll are just sitting there waiting for him to fail, which in return will cause the team to fail in mid season, seriously, sports writers have warped some of your brains, it's getting borderline pathetic

It's not as crazy as cutting your QB after winning a Superbowl. That's what the Ravens did with Dilfer. Smith's career has pretty exacted his so far. Anyway, thats another topic and nothing worth arguing about.

If we struggle and start losing a few games, the switch wouldn't be that shocking. There's nothing wrong with fans wanting a playmaker at QB. Smith has been unspectacular for far too long. I want him to be elite too, but when he struggles, it's completely normal to want someone else to step up.

Smith is becoming great at not turning the ball over. That's wonderful when we're ahead and the defense is on it, but when we get behind, we're in trouble. The passing game has to evolve if we want to keep pace with the elite teams on a consistant basis.

You're right in saying that Harbaugh will make the switch when he feels Kaep is ready and with Jim gettin him on the field more this season, it seems that he's gain Harbaugh's trust. Personally, I think Kaepernick will get the keys in the offseason. I the move is made earlier, I can't saying that I'll be mad.

I think so as well, but it's ridiculous to say that we need to bench the QB when we're 5-2, some peeps on here just straight up trolling. Anyways, I'm done on this topic, it cost me a 25 percent warning level.

Go Niners ( Whoever the QB is)

No, Alex is not Montana...with that said..he didn't get his ass whupped as bad by the Giants either.

Get over it. We're 5-2.
  • kush
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,718
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
And we all know from history that it led to the end of the republic! All hail Dukes!

Lol getting rid of Alex would ruin this team. We'd finally realize HE was the reason the defense was so good and that Harbaugh was considered an elite coach.
Originally posted by kush:
Lol getting rid of Alex would ruin this team.

Couldn't agree more.
Alex Smith is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Originally posted by Matt Barrows:
Alex Smith and Frank Gore are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The hall recently received mementos from the 49ers' record-breaking offensive performance against the Bills two weeks -- a game ball signed by Smith and Gore as well as Gore's pink shoes and gloves.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/10/gore-on-hand-for-practice-shoes-gloves-arrive-in-canton-ohio.html#storylink=cpy


What QB controversy?