LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

quarterback controversy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
who seems to have picked up the WCO quicker? Alex Smith or RG3?

RG3 has a whole new team....new offense (the omg so hard WCO)......and he is a rookie.

he did much better against the Giants than Alex did...and it was in New York...and with less personnel. (lost his starting TE)

Don't even bother. You're just going to hear that Garcon and Moss are better then any WR we have. Or that RGIII is running a college style offense, which he is easier, which is leading to his success.

Or bring up some other arbitrary point to discredit RGIII.

The QBR card trumps ALLLLLLL

http://m.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/washington-redskins-offense-is-a-blend-of-schemes-capitalizing-on-robert-griffin-iii/2012/09/29/08f44668-09ad-11e2-9eea-333857f6a7bd_story.html

There are one or two similarities between the two schemes.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Since Smith has played below par for the past two games, after his finger injury, it might be a good time to consider his finger injury. Roman has said that they had to adapt because of the injury and have played a more conservative game...shorter passes and passes with less risk. The defenses no doubt know the score and have adapted as well. I would expect better games when Smith gets some rest...one game in two and a half weeks.

Except that at least 3 of his INTs were on poor reads...
Originally posted by KaepIn2012:

According to Harbaugh not all of the reads were wrong on the Ints...one or two were wrong. I wonder if any other QBs make wrong reads?
Since Smith has played below par for the past two games, after his finger injury, it might be a good time to consider his finger injury. Roman has said that they had to adapt because of the injury and have played a more conservative game...shorter passes and passes with less risk. The defenses no doubt know the score and have adapted as well. I would expect better games when Smith gets some rest...one game in two and a half weeks.

And the finger injury doesn't explain the sub par play against Minnesota and the Jets.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

And the finger injury doesn't explain the sub par play against Minnesota and the Jets.

This

And unless his brain is in his finger it doesn't explain the poor decision making.

According to Harbaugh not all of the reads were wrong on the Ints...one or two were wrong. I wonder if any other QBs make wrong reads?

Of course they do. Eli made a bad one this past weekend. But he was able to drop a bomb in stride to his WR while taking a big hit for the win. He has done this multiple times in his career so he has earned the right to have bad reads because he's proven he can make up for it.

Smith hasn't.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Oct 22, 2012 at 4:49 PM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran

RG3 has a whole new team....new offense (the omg so hard WCO)......and he is a rookie.

he did much better against the Giants than Alex did...and it was in New York...and with less personnel. (lost his starting TE)

Giants were quoted as RG3 is the best QB they faced all year
RG3 buys a lot of time with his mobility, and being a threat to run defenses can't attack him as aggressively as someone like Smith. He is very smart and advanced for a rookie. Going to be fun watching him for the next dozen years. The Skins are my second favorite team now that I live 75 miles from DC.
B-b-but learning the WCO is a 3-4year process minimum????
[ Edited by kush on Oct 22, 2012 at 4:52 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:

Giants were quoted as RG3 is the best QB they faced all year
RG3 buys a lot of time with his mobility, and being a threat to run defenses can't attack him as aggressively as someone like Smith. He is very smart and advanced for a rookie. Going to be fun watching him for the next dozen years. The Skins are my second favorite team now that I live 75 miles from DC.
you are now allowed to have second favorite teams, i am sorry,, this is not accepted
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Of course they do. Eli made a bad one this past weekend. But he was able to drop a bomb in stride to his WR while taking a big hit for the win. He has done this multiple times in his career so he has earned the right to have bad reads because he's proven he can make up for it.

Smith hasn't.

ah.. alex has not earned the right. exactly who sets there and decides whether or not alex has "earned" the right? I guess some tribunal made up of alex haters here on the web zone set in judgement? that is pretty funny stuff

Smith hasn't.

Smith has, just not in every game and he usually doesn't have to the way the team plays...but heroics after bad play is much more fun I guess. The way Peyton came back after stinking in the first half versus SD was truly fun to watch, but the coaches probably would have preferred not being behind in the first place. Of course, Rivers had to accommodate him by falling apart. So Smith has played all bad games except for Buff and yet he is still among the leaders as a QB. Oh well, I guess we will just agree to disagree...it's becoming a habit.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM ]
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
This

And unless his brain is in his finger it doesn't explain the poor decision making.

Yes, his decision making is being talked about even by his detractors in the punditry as being excellent...but wait...the anti-Smith folks beg to differ! Harbaugh doesn't know what he's talking about...Alex making great decisions? Hell no! We won't have that! LOL...you are just too much! But carry on!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Smith hasn't.

Smith has, just not in every game and he usually doesn't have to the way the team plays...but heroics after bad play is much more fun I guess. The way Peyton came back after stinking in the first half versus SD was truly fun to watch, but trhe coaches probably would have preferred not being behind in the first place. Of course, Rivers had to accommodate him by falling apart. So Smith has played all bad games except for Buff and yet he is still among the leaders as a QB. Oh well, I guess we will just agree to disagree...it's becoming a habit.
when he has "earned" the right, i guess they will let us know
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
This

Yes, his decision making is being talked about even by his detractors in the punditry as being excellent...but wait...the anti-Smith folks beg to differ! Harbaugh doesn't know what he's talking about...Alex making great decisions? Hell no! We won't have that! LOL...you are just too much! But carry on!

just debunking all the alexecuses, LOL
Originally posted by cciowa:

Smith hasn't.

ah.. alex has not earned the right. exactly who sets there and decides whether or not alex has "earned" the right? I guess some tribunal made up of alex haters here on the web zone set in judgement? that is pretty funny stuff

When he's actually accomplished something... As of now, the only thing on his resume is a Fed Ex Air and Ground award and a 13-3 record last year as a game manager with a historic D and unprecedented special teams play. Oh, before I forget "Saints game."

I find it funny when guys like Brady, Rogers, Eli, Brees etc. make errors and have bad games or plays its harped upon. "See, Rogers overthrows guys too!"

But those guys have also done something in this league like multiple pro bowls, multiple playoff wins, super bowl titles, super bowl mvps, league mvps etc... So they can get away with a string of bad games and there is no QB controversy. You excpect them to get back into form. Even guys like Rivers get the benefit of the doubt because he's been a winner before. And he's playing like horses**t right now.
Share 49ersWebzone