There are 240 users in the forums

quarterback controversy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Look, you can't change QB's midway through a 5-2 season, on the heels of a 13-3 NFC Championship run, regardless of how he has played in two games, you would lose the locker room. These are professional athletes, not a madden dynasty or a high school team. Smith is a locker room leader, has been getting the majority of snaps for the entire season. You make a change like this during the off season, during a losing season, or because of an injury. Since it wasn't done last off season, unless we drop 3-4 straight, or Smith gets injured, its not happening. Get over it. Yeah the last two weeks have been rough. But before that, all the talk was about how resurgent he was, how he was the most efficient QB in the NFL, and how *gasp* he could be a pro bowler. You can't discount the good play, and only see the bad. You have to look at the overall picture.

Im not saying Smith is the long term answer, however I am saying that a knee jerk reaction midway through a season where we are sitting at 1st in our division is just plain stupid.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OX49er253:
Look, you can't change QB's midway through a 5-2 season, on the heels of a 13-3 NFC Championship run, regardless of how he has played in two games, you would lose the locker room. These are professional athletes, not a madden dynasty or a high school team. Smith is a locker room leader, has been getting the majority of snaps for the entire season. You make a change like this during the off season, during a losing season, or because of an injury. Since it wasn't done last off season, unless we drop 3-4 straight, or Smith gets injured, its not happening. Get over it. Yeah the last two weeks have been rough. But before that, all the talk was about how resurgent he was, how he was the most efficient QB in the NFL, and how *gasp* he could be a pro bowler. You can't discount the good play, and only see the bad. You have to look at the overall picture.

Im not saying Smith is the long term answer, however I am saying that a knee jerk reaction midway through a season where we are sitting at 1st in our division is just plain stupid.
not much more can be added,, good job. the key is 5-2 and in first place . you just do not do this
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
"I'm just kicking myself," he said. "I'm just so pissed. I take a lot of pride in [not turning it over]. Dude, I just saw Randy in the back, and Brandon's so big – it's not like it's a little guy – and I didn't see him. I let it go and as soon as I did I thought, 'Oh no.' "

- Alex Smith re: his late game INT.

I don't even understand this explanation of the INT. Smith states Browner is so big yet. he didn't see him? What?

Browner was covering Gore on the outlet on the same side he was rolling out. How do you not see the only defender in that area, a guy who is "big?"

Fans are just tired of the same old AS. Harbaugh can make any serviceable QB look good, he is that amazing! AS is serviceable.

the fact that smith's improvement started in 2009 disproves your claim
Ok before 2009 he was horrendous then he became serviceable.

he was serviceable in 2006...bad team, 7-9 record 16 tds..fact is he has improved every year he has been healthy
In 2006 he also had 16 picks that is horrendous.

Meanwhile, people on this board actually think Jay Cutler would do any better than Smith...yet conveniently forget that his 27 TD season was accompanied by 26 INTS. Its a matter of the grass is greener philosophy.

He was a 2nd year QB changing systems once again. And if you really want to call a spade a spade, he was considered a rising star among young QB's in the NFL. He had games in 2006 that left you with the impression that this was a kid to keep an eye for. The Seahawks on TNF, Eagles game down 31-10 and still fighting back, that midseason 3 game winning streak that put the team at 5-5 (switching to a 4-3 because of injuries/ineffectiveness was Nolan's best work), beating Denver to eliminate them from the playoffs...IN DENVER (who was also QB'd by the aforementioned Cutler).

The man has been getting better as a player and as a leader every year he's been healthy enough to do so. And him sitcking around the team during his 2008 injury season didn't hurt his cause either.

I wonder has anyone taken into account that because this is the first offseason he has ever had to work on mechanics...that because of the rough stretch those mechanics might be a bit off...and mechanics do budge slightly during stressful periods on the field. Maybe this is another stage in his development. To learn how to come back, relax and play sound mechanically after a spell where you slipped and didnt play your best ball. Its another mental stage all players and QBs especially go through. The fact that the team is still 5-2 despite some tough curves says a lot about the starter to me.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
"I'm just kicking myself," he said. "I'm just so pissed. I take a lot of pride in [not turning it over]. Dude, I just saw Randy in the back, and Brandon's so big – it's not like it's a little guy – and I didn't see him. I let it go and as soon as I did I thought, 'Oh no.' "

- Alex Smith re: his late game INT.

I don't even understand this explanation of the INT. Smith states Browner is so big yet. he didn't see him? What?

Browner was covering Gore on the outlet on the same side he was rolling out. How do you not see the only defender in that area, a guy who is "big?"

Fans are just tired of the same old AS. Harbaugh can make any serviceable QB look good, he is that amazing! AS is serviceable.

the fact that smith's improvement started in 2009 disproves your claim
Ok before 2009 he was horrendous then he became serviceable.

he was serviceable in 2006...bad team, 7-9 record 16 tds..fact is he has improved every year he has been healthy
In 2006 he also had 16 picks that is horrendous.

Meanwhile, people on this board actually think Jay Cutler would do any better than Smith...yet conveniently forget that his 27 TD season was accompanied by 26 INTS. Its a matter of the grass is greener philosophy.

He was a 2nd year QB changing systems once again. And if you really want to call a spade a spade, he was considered a rising star among young QB's in the NFL. He had games in 2006 that left you with the impression that this was a kid to keep an eye for. The Seahawks on TNF, Eagles game down 31-10 and still fighting back, that midseason 3 game winning streak that put the team at 5-5 (switching to a 4-3 because of injuries/ineffectiveness was Nolan's best work), beating Denver to eliminate them from the playoffs...IN DENVER (who was also QB'd by the aforementioned Cutler).

The man has been getting better as a player and as a leader every year he's been healthy enough to do so. And him sitcking around the team during his 2008 injury season didn't hurt his cause either.

I wonder has anyone taken into account that because this is the first offseason he has ever had to work on mechanics...that because of the rough stretch those mechanics might be a bit off...and mechanics do budge slightly during stressful periods on the field. Maybe this is another stage in his development. To learn how to come back, relax and play sound mechanically after a spell where you slipped and didnt play your best ball. Its another mental stage all players and QBs especially go through. The fact that the team is still 5-2 despite some tough curves says a lot about the starter to me.

He's had 4 well respected offensive coaches now. If he doesn't understand mechanics now, ...I think we all agree now that he's not going to make the plays QB's like Rodgers makes but he's also not going to consistently make the brain fart plays QB's like Cutler make.

If you are expecting him to start pinpointing balls to draped WR's...call yourself Linus and call it a day.

What are the odds a gang of youthful disgruntled sea lions come onto shore, mug alex smith, emotionally injure him to the point of hospitalization, thus allowing Kap to become the starter & giving the 49ers a better shot at winning the SB this year & many following years?
Originally posted by Joecool:
He's had 4 well respected offensive coaches now. If he doesn't understand mechanics now, ...I think we all agree now that he's not going to make the plays QB's like Rodgers makes but he's also not going to consistently make the brain fart plays QB's like Cutler make.

If you are expecting him to start pinpointing balls to draped WR's...call yourself Linus and call it a day.

I'd laugh but that dry ass joke left my mouth parched

I never said he'd suddenly become Dan Marino. However, when you are busy learning a new dance...you don't try and add extra flavor to it if you're still mastering the steps. In offensive football its extremely hard to get 11 guys on the same page, especially when some, if not all, are new to a system. I've seen you post on here...you should know this. For the first time in his career, however long it might be, he has had the opportunity to work on the finer points of football rather than where everyone is going to be on the field. He has had knowledge sunk into his brain and can work on the movements that best bring out the required results. During a 16 game season, and especially against two of the better defenses in football, he hasn't been his best...and during the same time you notice his mechanics are off again. Because until movements and information are properly engrained in your brain, you have tendencies to revert back to your old form, and thats a part of football no matter the age or position. He has 9 days to relax and sort out his troubles (if his finger actually was injured its a perfect time to get healthy), get sound mechanically and come out and play the kind of efficent ball that wins.

One thing I was supremely encouraged by...Smith showed his maturity at the LOS. He knew he was off, he knew his receivers weren't exactly getting off the line so he took advantage of Seattle's weakness up the middle with Gore and Hunter. That's a championship mentality, when its not going well for me...check off the play and let the hot hand take over. If the coaching staff entrusts this man with calling a game at the line, then there is a level of patience they have for things to come together.

I think what we have really works and can get a lot better...has been already. Bumps are in every road but the fact that the team can go out and win at home 3 days after getting whipped at home says a lot.
Lol at the notion of finally working on mechanics after year 8 in the NFL

Another strong post ^ ... thanks for bringing SOME good posts worth reading to the WZ.
Originally posted by Joecool:

I'd laugh but that dry ass joke left my mouth parched

I never said he'd suddenly become Dan Marino. However, when you are busy learning a new dance...you don't try and add extra flavor to it if you're still mastering the steps. In offensive football its extremely hard to get 11 guys on the same page, especially when some, if not all, are new to a system. I've seen you post on here...you should know this. For the first time in his career, however long it might be, he has had the opportunity to work on the finer points of football rather than where everyone is going to be on the field. He has had knowledge sunk into his brain and can work on the movements that best bring out the required results. During a 16 game season, and especially against two of the better defenses in football, he hasn't been his best...and during the same time you notice his mechanics are off again. Because until movements and information are properly engrained in your brain, you have tendencies to revert back to your old form, and thats a part of football no matter the age or position. He has 9 days to relax and sort out his troubles (if his finger actually was injured its a perfect time to get healthy), get sound mechanically and come out and play the kind of efficent ball that wins.

One thing I was supremely encouraged by...Smith showed his maturity at the LOS. He knew he was off, he knew his receivers weren't exactly getting off the line so he took advantage of Seattle's weakness up the middle with Gore and Hunter. That's a championship mentality, when its not going well for me...check off the play and let the hot hand take over. If the coaching staff entrusts this man with calling a game at the line, then there is a level of patience they have for things to come together.

I think what we have really works and can get a lot better...has been already. Bumps are in every road but the fact that the team can go out and win at home 3 days after getting whipped at home says a lot.

It's almost Halloween and nothing better to compare Alex Smith to than the Great Pumpkin. I agree with everything you said.

The problem is that this seems to happen ONLY for Alex Smith. Many QB's in the league are able to add their flavor in while learning the dance. The only difference is that some QB's never fully learn how to dance and only keep adding their flavor veering off to a different dance altogether. Some learn how to mix in their own stuff while fully learning. Alex is at the other end where he won't mix in any of his own flavor and quite possibly, never will.

The time for excuses is over. I think we all know what he will do and what he won't do by now.
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 22, 2012 at 11:25 AM ]
If anyone here is serious about replacing the QB when we're in 1st place in our division, won 5 out of 7 games so far then it is my (possibly warnable) opinion that you just might be a f**king idiot.

Jim Harbaugh drafted Colin Kaepernick to be his QB, and he will be the QB when Jim Harbaugh think's he is good and ready, until then, Alex Smith is our BEST option at QB, I don't give a s**t what anyone says, you just don't replace the QB when you're 5-2 and in 1st place coming off a 13-3 season.

This is just beyond ridiculous now, it's like some of ya'll are just sitting there waiting for him to fail, which in return will cause the team to fail in mid season, seriously, sports writers have warped some of your brains, it's getting borderline pathetic

Originally posted by cciowa:
not much more can be added,, good job. the key is 5-2 and in first place . you just do not do this

Pretty much...but it won't stop a certain group of people from wishing...and I suppose it is their right to do so.
Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:
If anyone here is serious about replacing the QB when we're in 1st place in our division, won 5 out of 7 games so far then it is my (possibly warnable) opinion that you just might be a f**king idiot.

Jim Harbaugh drafted Colin Kaepernick to be his QB, and he will be the QB when Jim Harbaugh think's he is good and ready, until then, Alex Smith is our BEST option at QB, I don't give a s**t what anyone says, you just don't replace the QB when you're 5-2 and in 1st place coming off a 13-3 season.

This is just beyond ridiculous now, it's like some of ya'll are just sitting there waiting for him to fail, which in return will cause the team to fail in mid season, seriously, sports writers have warped some of your brains, it's getting borderline pathetic

Solid post right hurr
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

It's just a natural reaction, Honey. The Kap supporters want Kap in and when they smell blood in the water their going to pounce.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by cciowa:

Pretty much...but it won't stop a certain group of people from wishing...and I suppose it is their right to do so.

When your defense is #1

Running game is #2

and passing game is #29

Its definitely something that we have to consider. The passing game (QB) is clearly the weakest link on this team.
Originally posted by sacniner:

Solid post right hurr

THIS
Share 49ersWebzone