LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

quarterback controversy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
I thought we went over this already with the Troy Smith/Alex Smith Experiment????

I don't think many people realize that on several of our explosive Frank Gore running plays, Alex was the one who read the defence pre-snap and audibled to the correct run scheme. Alex Smith's ability to read a defence pre-snap ranks among the top QBs in the NFL. Does he have trouble imporvising at times? Sure. But he does such a great job of knowing which play to run so that we don't have to scramble around and play sandlot ball too often. I don't think he gets much credit for this.

I haven't seen anything from Colin Kaepernick that makes me think he's even remotely ready to be behind center for 50+ snaps a game, scan a 7-man front with moving parts and fake blitzes and make the necessary blocking/route adjustments. Has he taken advantage of defences that were (obviously) unprepared for his unique athletic skills? No doubt. But there's a reason he only played once last night. Teams are now prepared to face him. If he was a serious threat to pass or run every time he stepped on the field, G-Ro would use him even more than we've seen but I firmly believe The "Kaeper" isn't quite ready yet.

Additionally, I may be the only one who still sees many positive qualities in Alex Smith to get us our 6th Lombardi. Call me "Faithful" #shrug
We'll know more after the end of the season. We're 5-2 right now, it's not the time to make a switch at QB.
Originally posted by jreff22:
cant wait for the butt hurt when he is still starting after the bye

I'm sure when it comes to Alex you can't ever wait for butt hurt
Originally posted by SaksV:
I thought we went over this already with the Troy Smith/Alex Smith Experiment????

I don't think many people realize that on several of our explosive Frank Gore running plays, Alex was the one who read the defence pre-snap and audibled to the correct run scheme. Alex Smith's ability to read a defence pre-snap ranks among the top QBs in the NFL. Does he have trouble imporvising at times? Sure. But he does such a great job of knowing which play to run so that we don't have to scramble around and play sandlot ball too often. I don't think he gets much credit for this.

I haven't seen anything from Colin Kaepernick that makes me think he's even remotely ready to be behind center for 50+ snaps a game, scan a 7-man front with moving parts and fake blitzes and make the necessary blocking/route adjustments. Has he taken advantage of defences that were (obviously) unprepared for his unique athletic skills? No doubt. But there's a reason he only played once last night. Teams are now prepared to face him. If he was a serious threat to pass or run every time he stepped on the field, G-Ro would use him even more than we've seen but I firmly believe The "Kaeper" isn't quite ready yet.

Additionally, I may be the only one who still sees many positive qualities in Alex Smith to get us our 6th Lombardi. Call me "Faithful" #shrug

I love having a QB who's greateset strength is changing the play to a run. Whos got it better than us?
[ Edited by DirtyP on Oct 19, 2012 at 1:28 PM ]
Originally posted by DirtyP:
cant wait for the butt hurt when he is still starting after the bye

I'm sure when it comes to Alex you can't ever wait for butt hurt

classy post bud

and I'm sure with that you will be
[ Edited by jreff22 on Oct 19, 2012 at 1:29 PM ]
classy post bud

lighten up. Alex is still the starter
classy post bud

lol wow what a crybaby

Good post. For all the flack Al gets, our offensive players all seem to have his back. There are a lot of teams out there that wish their QB could read defenses and protect the ball. For as blanketed as the WRs were all night I'm actually surprised he didn't have more than that one boneheaded pick. BTW, I thought Russell Wilson's interception was just as bad but nobody talks about that.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Oct 19, 2012 at 1:31 PM ]
Originally posted by excelsior:
Go look at what teams Seattle played this year, and see how other QBs fared against them - Romo, Rodgers, Newton, Brady - and compare their performance with Alex's. It is important to consider.

Get outta here with your sound logic.
classy post bud

lol wow what a crybaby

I'm sure your accumulated 95% has come from well thought-out intelligent posts

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Get outta here with your sound logic.

How'd those QBs do against the Giants this year?

Just from crybabies getting upset mostly
[ Edited by DirtyP on Oct 19, 2012 at 1:34 PM ]

Can't compare this at all to the Troy Smith situation. Troy Smith wasn't on the team until a week before the regular season. He knew probably 10 plays total.

Kaep knows the system and plays. HUGE difference.

Just from crybabies getting upset mostly
95 percent....

You must have said some horrible things about our QB.......
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
I know there are 2 sides to this debate and many angles. We all love the 49ers and feel passionately about the direction the team should go in. Lets just try to keep this civil and remember we are all 9er fans. Now to the debate. I think for a lot of us it feels like the team is at a crossroads. We have a long break before monday night football and a bye week coming. It seems like if a change is going to be made it will have to be done in these precious weeks. I think even if you are a smith fan you have to be disapointed in his production. I guess the biggest question is can we get more from kaep and still keep turnovers low? I think we can! We run most of the time anyway and kaep is more dynamic at that. We really need to be able to push the ball downfield in our playaction game. Gore and the running backs can only take us so far. Make the change now!

Quarterback controversy for fans maybe. A quarterback controversy with a franchise is when there is a situation with two quarterbacks and the organization needs to decide or commit to one. We have, they aren't talking about switching, so there is no controversy.
Share 49ersWebzone