LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 174 users in the forums

Is Frank Gore a Top-10 All Time 49er?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I dunno about that. We have had some really good players.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Tough question, obviously no one is going to argue a top 4 of Montana, Rice, Young and Lott. After that??? There are people who will argue that Craig and Hearst were better. I will put him in the top 10 on the fact he has piled up all his rushing yards on teams that did not have a decent passing attack, constantly running against 8 men in the box. There are a lot of games we would have lost if you pulled Frank off the team.
when you are a teams all time leading rusher , you better be in the top 10 , which I think he is
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
I'm not comparing the two. Gore is a better running back even at this stage of his career.

I said, ON THAT PLAY, hunter would have scored. Watch the replay, the hole was huge. Hunter would have hit the hole, but had the legs to take it all the way (probably to the left corner of the end zone). Of course this is my opinion.

Don't misunderstand what I said in my first post. Frank's heart and vision are UNPARALLELED.

Kendal Hunter has never even had a touchdown run longer than 17 yards in his entire career
[ Edited by DirtyP on Oct 19, 2012 at 7:42 AM ]
He's without a doubt a top 10 all time 49er.
Here's my thought, I would say that yes he is a top 10, 49er of all time. Not just for who he is off the field, his work ethic and his attitude. He has had to deal with a ton of adversity in his career. He came out of college with major knee injury concerns. He was on god awful teams for the majority of his career, he was on teams bereft of talent, bereft of quality coaching, and bereft of any sort of passing attack. He was consistently facing 8-9 men in the box, he was on teams that were getting blown out, and had to throw the ball late a lot. He still put up unbelievable stats. Not to mention to keep yourself hungry, to continue to care when week after week your team is losing, and not only that getting embarrassed. To maintain your focus mentally and emotionally while getting beat up physically, is impressive.

Combine in the era he is playing in. He is playing in an era of the spread offense, of the running backs by committee, where the average shelf life of players at his position is 3 years. He has managed to be a work horse back in a league with few work horses, he has managed to bounce back from injuries, to play later in his career and stay relevant, where few top tier running backs have. He has never had off the field issues, he has never publicly acted like a diva, his attitude, and work ethic can never be questioned.

I think if you take a look at the big picture, take into account the situation he played in for most of his career, the era he played in, the type of person he is, and just the hard stats he has put up. I would say its easy to put him into a top 10, 49er of all time.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
yes.

but, does anybody else think Frank should have been able to finish that first long run? The one that ended up with a pick...

I love frank, and his heart, and his vision are unparalleled. But he definitely does not have the legs to finish a long run anymore. Hunter probably scores if he takes that same hand off and gets that same blocking.

No he most certainly does NOT! Don't get carried away. Hunter ran behind the same line Frank did yet he wasn't popping big runs and its because he doesn't have the patience or the vision Frank has. NOT EVEN CLOSE! If he gets the same blocking, same play, I'd bet he still would not have gotten into the secondary. Finding that crease is what Frank does best. Frank waits until the last second for that hole to open and explodes through it. Hunter plows into the back of his own man half the time or is too quick to search out contact and go down before hitting the second level. Frank makes something from nothing. Hunter does not. Can't even believe we're comparing the two as though there is anything Hunter can do that Frank can not. GET REAL!

I'm not comparing the two. Gore is a better running back even at this stage of his career.

I said, ON THAT PLAY, hunter would have scored. Watch the replay, the hole was huge. Hunter would have hit the hole, but had the legs to take it all the way (probably to the left corner of the end zone). Of course this is my opinion.

Don't misunderstand what I said in my first post. Frank's heart and vision are UNPARALLELED.

Can't remember which play it was last night, but I've never seen a back weave through holes like frank, VISION for sure. Thing is, it's not as flashy of a talent as a Berry Sanders style runner.
WE have 11 hall of famers on our team plus the likes of Haley and Craig. (who will be hof one day, eventually.)

I don't know if he's top ten yet.....and im including our history since 1946-not 1981
Top ten overall, no question.

Top 5 on offense.

I'm so happy for him that he's getting a chance to play on some winning teams before he's through. He was pretty much the lone bright spot on this offense for years and got nothing but a broken hip to show for it, and he's such a warrior. Now he's old and still looking amazing. Averaging nearly 6 yards a carry and nearly 90 yards a game? Always there when you need him? Love it.
Highest YPG since '06. 5.8 YPC is a career high. On pace for over 1,300 yards and close to 9 TDs.

Yes he is IMO.
If I were going to make a top 10, 49ers of all time, I will preface this by saying that I am in my mid 20's so therefore am a relatively young 49ers fan. So I'm excluding a lot of the older generation players because I was not fortunate enough to watch them play, so I couldn't validly compare and contrast them to the guys from the late 80's, 90's and so on that I know. Thats not to take anything away from the YA Tittles, and Fred Dean's of the world who I respect immensely, but all I know is wht I have seen from highlights, and read about with them. Since this is a personal list and no way academic, or unbiased, I guess I will call this the top 10 modern-ish niners of all time. I also am not putting this in any order, because outside of Jerry Rice, that would be a way more contentious list to make. I would probably kick my own ass, arguing with myself over it (thats not crazy right?)

Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Bryant Young, Roger Craig, Ronnie Lott, Frank Gore, Jesse Sapolu, Brent Jones, Brian Jennings (undoubtedly)
Originally posted by DirtyP:

Kendal Hunter has never even had a touchdown run longer than 17 yards in his entire career

Whatever. Missing the point.
I asked myself this question, "Who's been the biggest surprise success this year?"

The answer to me has been Frank. A few reasons, I kinda felt we'd see him in a limited rule and start to see hunter really take over the carries and success at HB.

But honestly, he's looked like a more diverse back, dare I say, EVOLVED back this season. Maybe I wasn't paying attention in years before, but he looks better than he's ever looked. I know he's not as fast, but he still as quick and seems smarter and has a great grasp of this offense.

Skill aside, frank is the type of guy you fight for. He's a hard worker, non-flashy, and a humble heart.

Is he a top-10 49er? Here's what I think

1.) ..... Too early to say, his career isn't over, and I'd have to gather a list to compare to other 49ers really.
2.) So this is clearly objective and anyone who makes that claim would have to set some variables on what it means to be a great 49er. Is it purely performance/stats?

3.) Here's Franks peace of 49er history. During the dark ages of the 2000s he was the 49ers. He Never complained, never wined, never got into arguments with inferior players. Just showed up, game after game, lose after loss. He is pure. A candle through a dark cave.

Because he carried this franchise through that era, and I don't think there is any player that we could even compare to his endeavor, and the fact that he's still playing strong on a team that could get a ring in while he's still suited up, I think there's argument for top-10 of all time.

4.) Franks a Niner, that's for sure.

Bonus.) Straight up Haunts Seattle!!!! Haha, that was great watching frank beat up on seattle just like he always does!
Share 49ersWebzone