LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

Is Frank Gore a Top-10 All Time 49er?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninersoul:
I'm going to guess yes.

But he NO DOUBT is in the top 10 outta the years I've been a 49er fan since 1992. He's an HOF'mer in my eyes.

That's a good way to put it. I kind of feel like when comparing players, I can only speak of when I really started to pay attention: around 1994 for me. You just don't get the games in and game out feel for a player when looking back.

In that time, (Post-Craig) call it. He's easily the #1 back and without running through the list. at least top-5. The question is, who'd be the second best back since our last SB.... Hearst?

But looking back it looks like you've got three generations of Clear SFHOF backs: Perry, Craig, Gore.
Originally posted by stillpans4gold:
That's a good way to put it. I kind of feel like when comparing players, I can only speak of when I really started to pay attention: around 1994 for me. You just don't get the games in and game out feel for a player when looking back.

In that time, (Post-Craig) call it. He's easily the #1 back and without running through the list. at least top-5. The question is, who'd be the second best back since our last SB.... Hearst?

But looking back it looks like you've got three generations of Clear SFHOF backs: Perry, Craig, Gore.

I object strongly to gore easily being the best post Craig back.

prime Gore and prime Heart are very close

watters was clearly more dangerous the guy has 16,000 yards and 91 tds. He was everything from a pseudo WR to a workhorse back.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by stillpans4gold:

I object strongly to gore easily being the best post Craig back.

watters was clearly more dangerous the guy has 16,000 yards and 91 tds. He was everything from a pseudo WR to a workhorse back.

If gore played on any of those teams the other RBs played on his numbers would be so much bigger. For 5 years he has suffered behind a butt azz ugly team.
Originally posted by Chrs0049:
May seem a little far fetched at first, but when you put together a list I think he makes it...

Frank Gore is headed in that direction quickly
it's more of a compliment to the organization to say he's not.

but to me he is.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I thought 2 years ago Frank Gore was pretty much done and on his way out. I have been pleasantly surprised he has been able to perform at a high level for this long considering his bad knees and the work load he has taken. Mad respect to Frank Gore true warrior.
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
If gore played on any of those teams the other RBs played on his numbers would be so much bigger. For 5 years he has suffered behind a butt azz ugly team.

I don't think that's true.

gore can't reproduce Craig's or watter's skill set.

Neither of those teams would feed gore carries like the 49ers do now.

look at what happen to watters after he left he became a workhorse
  • kray28
  • Veteran
It's crowded up at the top of the Niner pantheon.

I think no ring is the only thing that keeps him out for now.
  • kray28
  • Veteran

Prime Hearst was better. Better straight line speed, quicker, more explosive, and the guy knew how to finish homeruns. He was also a better receiver, and a better RAC guy.
Hearst, Watters and Craig were never the best offensive player on the team whereas Gore has been the best offensive player every year. He is the guy that the other team schemes for, he is the guy that the other team focuses on stopping. I can't imagine any of those guys being as productive as Gore under similar circumstances.

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Hearst, Watters and Craig were never the best offensive player on the team whereas Gore has been the best offensive player every year. He is the guy that the other team schemes for, he is the guy that the other team focuses on stopping. I can't imagine any of those guys being as productive as Gore under similar circumstances.

I am sure just like every other time that concept has been debated...it will be pointed out featured players make up for it in scoring opertuinities and having a lower percentage of their total carries in non run obvious downs.
I think yes ! Right after he runs up 127 yds in SUPER BOWL 47
I am sure just like every other time that concept has been debated...it will be pointed out featured players make up for it in scoring opertuinities and having a lower percentage of their total carries in non run obvious downs.

Absolutely but does that make up for being almost an afterthought to the opponent?
I have to write down names to figure that out.

Montana
Rice
Lott
Young
Haley
Craig ( i give the edge to someone who has won 3 super bowls)
Michael Carter
Randy Cross
Bryant Young

I am not sure Gore is top 10 because it cannot all be about stats but performance when the game is on the line, clutch play, ie in the end--wins.

you can list dwight clark, freddie solomon, fred dean, john taylor, keena turner, brent jones, haris barton, terrel owens, jesse sapulo, don griffen, garrison hearst, Tim McDonald, steve wallace, bubba paris--on and on--and that is not even counting the older generation players pre 80's. I am sure I am forgetting some good players.
Best 49er running back ever, so yea he's top 10 for sure.
Share 49ersWebzone