There are 78 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Willis' reaction to Millen's criticism

Have to admit, as much as I'm a Willis fan, I was a bit disappointed in his reaction to Matt Millen's criticism of his and Bowman's game last Sunday. First, no matter what you think of Millen's acumen as a manager/executive, he was an outstanding backer and had a terrific career. He definitely knows 'backing. Apparently, Willis had no clue who he was and bristled at any criticism, yet virtually admitted it was not one of his (and Bowman's) better days. Maybe Patrick is so used to being fawned over and placed on a pedestal that he can't take criticism? I don't know, but I would hope he's a big enough man to accept it and use it to get even better. As an aside, it never ceases to amaze me that so many modern athletes are so unfamiliar with those who preceded them; even the greats and especially those who played on the same team! As the best linebacker tandem in the NFL, they should be able to take a little heat when their play is below their standards.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Have to admit, as much as I'm a Willis fan, I was a bit disappointed in his reaction to Matt Millen's criticism of his and Bowman's game last Sunday. First, no matter what you think of Millen's acumen as a manager/executive, he was an outstanding backer and had a terrific career. He definitely knows 'backing. Apparently, Willis had no clue who he was and bristled at any criticism, yet virtually admitted it was not one of his (and Bowman's) better days. Maybe Patrick is so used to being fawned over and placed on a pedestal that he can't take criticism? I don't know, but I would hope he's a big enough man to accept it and use it to get even better. As an aside, it never ceases to amaze me that so many modern athletes are so unfamiliar with those who preceded them; even the greats and especially those who played on the same team! As the best linebacker tandem in the NFL, they should be able to take a little heat when their play is below their standards.

Yeah...and in addition Millen has been calling Willis and Bowman the best 2 inside linebackers in the NFL since last year.
Matt who???
meh

I hope the team comes out angry but right minded and goes to work on Sea
Cam Inman
‏@CamInman #49ers Patrick Willis apologized for radio comments on Matt Millen, cites post-loss emotions, respects his NFL elders
yeah i was surprised he didn't know millen was actually a player...... for the niners no less......... . and even more surprised he said as much as he said. usually he's one of the more respectful people on the team.

team (not just willis) needed a wake-up call in more ways then one. the "humble hearts" isn't getting through to the players.
Willis is a class act. leave him alone.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Cam Inman
‏@CamInman #49ers Patrick Willis apologized for radio comments on Matt Millen, cites post-loss emotions, respects his NFL elders

i was expecting that. the niners PR department is really good about putting out fires like this.

Millen's picture is probably next to Willis's locker.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

he is.

that's why i'm surprised he said anything to begin with.

whatever though. not a big deal.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
yeah i was surprised he didn't know millen was actually a player...... for the niners no less......... . and even more surprised he said as much as he said. usually he's one of the more respectful people on the team.

team (not just willis) needed a wake-up call in more ways then one. the "humble hearts" isn't getting through to the players.

Really you were surprised by that??? He only played here 2 years... not like he was some kind of 49ers legend. Millen last played in 1991, Patrick Willis was 6.
Cam Inman

Now there's the Patrick I know and love (and not in a gay way )!
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Cam Inman

Now there's the Patrick I know and love (and not in a gay way )!
no big deal
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

And Matt Millen is a no class act, end of story.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

Really you were surprised by that??? He only played here 2 years... not like he was some kind of 49ers legend. Millen last played in 1991, Patrick Willis was 6.

yeah because Millen was in the league for 12 and has stayed on the scene since he retired. he's no legend yeah..... but still..........