There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Building a bully, CK, and other post-Giants comments

BUILDING A BULLY - After demolishing the Jets and Bills, there was a thread making reference to Baalke's statement a year ago that he "wants to build a bully." I agree with building thorough dominance, but that idea of "bully" seemed unsettling to me. NOW we know why - Bully beat up on the weak and shrink from a real challenge. The Giants unfortunately showed us that.

Harbaugh has done a great job turning the franchise around, now they need to pride themselves not just on winning, but winning the toughest games.

CK - This started out as a good change up. Sunday it became something different - CK seemed to be getting real playing time - not just one play at a time. This felt like a coaching staff grooming a guy, not a Tebow experiment. The MOST TELLING play was when CK came in to make the down the field strike to Manningham just before the half. When the 49ers needed a critical deep throw they turned to CK - not their starter.

SMITH - I've been wanting to see him take more chances and "stick some throws in there." Wow, now I see why he only throws to blatantly wide open receivers and focuses on safe ball placement. He seems incapable of making stick throws - they float, they go high, but they don't arrive like lasers. In a game with Eli and CK making stick throws, it was painful to watch - and I'm a Smith fan!

GAMEPLAN - Wow, got way too cute and then didn't know how to recover. By the second quarter it was apparent the 49ers needed to go back to their fundamentals of success. But instead, the Coaching kept trying to be creative. And got embarassed for it.

COACHING - Welcome to the NFL, where a truly successful team needs to have an plan and ability to come from behind. Can they do it? Do they have the talent? This will be the tale of the season.
Did we watch the same game? What "sticky" throws did CK complete. He made one nice throw to end the half. Besides that?

I hope he is as good as some think, but if he makes one good pass it gets blown out of proportion. Unless I am just missing some other completions he made.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,792
Originally posted by sacniner:
Did we watch the same game? What "sticky" throws did CK complete. He made one nice throw to end the half. Besides that?

I hope he is as good as some think, but if he makes one good pass it gets blown out of proportion. Unless I am just missing some other completions he made.
Where have you been? He is 8 for 14 on completions over 2 years and ran the ball 12 times, plus 2 kneel downs. Sounds like he has shown enough to start for me.
I really want to know the real reason why they're continuing with this "QB by committee" thing...is it really to give the opponent a more difficult time gameplanning, or is it really to start grooming Kaep for an eventual takeover sometime this season?

IMO, if a team has to use 2 players at QB, then that obviously says a lot about their confidence in their starter. And it showed why yesterday.
Originally posted by verb1der:
I really want to know the real reason why they're continuing with this "QB by committee" thing...is it really to give the opponent a more difficult time gameplanning, or is it really to start grooming Kaep for an eventual takeover sometime this season?

IMO, if a team has to use 2 players at QB, then that obviously says a lot about their confidence in their starter. And it showed why yesterday.

Their starter was leading the league in passer rating before this mess of a game. I think they are trying to keep Ck7 happy while also getting a look at what he may offer at this point. Doing this is causing Alex some displeasure, I'd say. I also have been suspecting that this decision to implement Ck7 more is coming from the top... Baalke and the Yorks. Alex had been doing well... and I think they may have just f**ked up this team's cohesion and maybe Alex's contentment with them.

we'll see... Whether they f**k Alex over... whether Alex deserves it or not... when it's all said and done, 49ers fans support their team regardless. Alex wouldn't be the first QB that got f**ked over by management wanting to move along with a younger option. ( sorry, Joe ) So if Ck7 takes over? Hey... go get em, Ck7 !!!
Originally posted by BobS:
Where have you been? He is 8 for 14 on completions over 2 years and ran the ball 12 times, plus 2 kneel downs. Sounds like he has shown enough to start for me.

Yeah, those two kneel downs were spectacular.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Their starter was leading the league in passer rating before this mess of a game. I think they are trying to keep Ck7 happy while also getting a look at what he may offer at this point. Doing this is causing Alex some displeasure, I'd say. I also have been suspecting that this decision to implement Ck7 more is coming from the top... Baalke and the Yorks. Alex had been doing well... and I think they may have just f**ked up this team's cohesion and maybe Alex's contentment with them.

we'll see... Whether they f**k Alex over... whether Alex deserves it or not... when it's all said and done, 49ers fans support their team regardless. Alex wouldn't be the first QB that got f**ked over by management wanting to move along with a younger option. ( sorry, Joe ) So if Ck7 takes over? Hey... go get em, Ck7 !!!

I think you are right. They need to see what they have in CK before making a decision. I get that.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by verb1der:
I really want to know the real reason why they're continuing with this "QB by committee" thing...is it really to give the opponent a more difficult time gameplanning, or is it really to start grooming Kaep for an eventual takeover sometime this season?

IMO, if a team has to use 2 players at QB, then that obviously says a lot about their confidence in their starter. And it showed why yesterday.

Their starter was leading the league in passer rating before this mess of a game. I think they are trying to keep Ck7 happy while also getting a look at what he may offer at this point. Doing this is causing Alex some displeasure, I'd say. I also have been suspecting that this decision to implement Ck7 more is coming from the top... Baalke and the Yorks. Alex had been doing well... and I think they may have just f**ked up this team's cohesion and maybe Alex's contentment with them.

we'll see... Whether they f**k Alex over... whether Alex deserves it or not... when it's all said and done, 49ers fans support their team regardless. Alex wouldn't be the first QB that got f**ked over by management wanting to move along with a younger option. ( sorry, Joe ) So if Ck7 takes over? Hey... go get em, Ck7 !!!

I agree that it messes with Alex's rhythm. For instance yesterday....Alex completed a deep bomb to Moss (I thought that ball was going to get rolling), on the very next play, Kaep comes in and gets sacked for an 11 yard loss...then Alex comes in and is placed in a long yardage situation.
[ Edited by verb1der on Oct 15, 2012 at 7:57 AM ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
I agree that it messes with Alex's rhythm. For instance yesterday....Alex completed a deep bomb to Moss (I thought that ball was going to get rolling), on the very next play, Kaep comes in and gets sacked for an 11 yard loss...then Alex comes in and is placed in a long yardage situation.

That pissed me off. Not the time to take Smith out.
The Giants totally had our number.

They beat us on Special Teams.

They beat us in the trenches on both sides of the ball - this was the real key to the loss.

They out-coached us.

If we can't get a pass rush like against Ponder and Eli - we tend to lose.

If f our receivers don't get separation - we lose.
Rolle makes a great pick... Rogers on the next drive, drops an easy Eli pick...

FML
This loss was a collective one for sure... I don't understand how that happens coming off of such a big win over the Bills and playing at home to only put up 3 points if I'm a coach I have to look everywhere what's wrong with my team.... we see way to many coaches not making personal changes when they need to and they just keep loosing look at the Jets and Mark Sanchez.

We could be a a lot better team with a few key changes I say pull Smith CK and Tolzien both look good I say give them one full game each and make a decision Smith is not our long haul franchise QB and we need to get rid of Kyle Williams and Ted Gin on kick off returns put Kendall Hunter as our kick return guy and if Akers is gonna start missing what should be easy FG's replace him to!
[ Edited by Niner_Fan on Oct 15, 2012 at 8:25 AM ]
Originally posted by Niner_Fan:
This loss was a collective one for sure... I don't understand how that happens coming off of such a big win over the Bills and playing at home to only put up 3 points if I'm a coach I have to look everywhere what's wrong with my team.... we see way to many coaches not making personal changes when they need to and they just keep loosing look at the Jets and Mark Sanchez.

We could be a a lot better team with a few key changes I say pull Smith CK and Tolzien both look good I say give them one full game each and make a decision Smith is not our long haul franchise QB and we need to get rid of Kyle Williams and Ted Gin on kick off returns put Kendall Hunter as our kick return guy and if Akers is gonna start missing what should be easy FG's replace him to!

Are you seriously suggesting that, one third of the way through the season and still looking good for the playoffs, that we start our second string qb next game and our third stringer the week after ?
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by sacniner:
Did we watch the same game? What "sticky" throws did CK complete. He made one nice throw to end the half. Besides that?

I hope he is as good as some think, but if he makes one good pass it gets blown out of proportion. Unless I am just missing some other completions he made.
Where have you been? He is 8 for 14 on completions over 2 years and ran the ball 12 times, plus 2 kneel downs. Sounds like he has shown enough to start for me.

I can't tell whether you're serious or not but either way
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by verb1der:
I really want to know the real reason why they're continuing with this "QB by committee" thing...is it really to give the opponent a more difficult time gameplanning, or is it really to start grooming Kaep for an eventual takeover sometime this season?

IMO, if a team has to use 2 players at QB, then that obviously says a lot about their confidence in their starter. And it showed why yesterday.

Their starter was leading the league in passer rating before this mess of a game. I think they are trying to keep Ck7 happy while also getting a look at what he may offer at this point. Doing this is causing Alex some displeasure, I'd say. I also have been suspecting that this decision to implement Ck7 more is coming from the top... Baalke and the Yorks. Alex had been doing well... and I think they may have just f**ked up this team's cohesion and maybe Alex's contentment with them.

we'll see... Whether they f**k Alex over... whether Alex deserves it or not... when it's all said and done, 49ers fans support their team regardless. Alex wouldn't be the first QB that got f**ked over by management wanting to move along with a younger option. ( sorry, Joe ) So if Ck7 takes over? Hey... go get em, Ck7 !!!

I can't believe how blind you are...!!! Its obvious Harbaugh and Baalke dont wont Alex to hit his performance escalators so they are benching him to save cap space...