There are 175 users in the forums

Receivers need to attack the ball!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Did you just see Stokley catch the Manning TD in the 4th quarter of the Chargers-Broncos Game? Manning threw the ball right into what looked like a fully cover receiver and Stokely came down with the touchdown. I ask you...

Have you ever seen a 49ers receiver make that kind of catch?? No wonder JH and AS don't throw it into tight places and LET / HOPE the receiver make a play. Every darn time they do it doesn't turn out well.

I will admit, VD takes some shots and makes the catch - but he doesn't exactly go up and take the ball away from others -- the ball has to be right into him.

MAYBE that is changing the Moss (sometimes) and Manningham are changing this? Manningham seems to be willing to make the tough catches and as such is becoming a favored target.

But again, I hate to harp :) - but this is why we should have drafted a big, tough, go-get-the-ball target -- not another "shifty" speedy small guy. We have enough darn small guys!!

WTF man. You just don't get it. This whole post is full of FAIL.

The problem is, Alex doesn't pull the trigger and thread the needle into tight spaces. Alex doesn't throw to receivers who appear to be covered.

Thankyou. I didn't think it was too hard to see the difference in Manning and Smith. But some people look to blame our small shifty receivers, who if I remember correctly, Williams has the best production statistically this season with Smith.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Agree with this. I played WR and DB and nothing is more infuriating than someone who does nothing to help the QB by going after the ball. Smith had an awful game, but I think Walker's lack of effort on that first INT made a big difference. That INT changed the whole game.

I agree with you, but unfortunatly alot of members have only really been fans, and dont understand that without receivers that attack the ball, every elite qb you can name would be just an average qb.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Agree with this. I played WR and DB and nothing is more infuriating than someone who does nothing to help the QB by going after the ball. Smith had an awful game, but I think Walker's lack of effort on that first INT made a big difference. That INT changed the whole game.

I agree with you, but unfortunatly alot of members have only really been fans, and dont understand that without receivers that attack the ball, every elite qb you can name would be just an average qb.

That and if those receivers don't attack the ball for that "elite QB" they get cut. Fair enough Alex isn't "elite", but he can play. But who are the guys that are going after the ball? Mario is the only one that has put his hand up IMO.
Originally posted by AUniner:

That and if those receivers don't attack the ball for that "elite QB" they get cut. Fair enough Alex isn't "elite", but he can play. But who are the guys that are going after the ball? Mario is the only one that has put his hand up IMO.

I rather take an over throw incompletion then our WRs playing jump ball
Originally posted by AUniner:

I think Walker was a little to much in stride to make a quick stop to attack that ball that one was quite underthrown, but crabtree could have cut off Rolle attacking the ball and even if he didnt catch it more then likely get the PI call when Rolle knocked him on his ass.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Depends on the play IMO.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Depends on the play IMO.

Well you dont play jump ball on short routes....oh wait
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Faraz80:
Comeon fellas. You're reaching here. All 3 were bad throws by Alex. There's nothing more to it than that.

there really is, actually..

yeah, honestly, if you look at it, Rolle made two really good plays as well. He's not getting much credit for the pick as Smith is. Another part, recievers need to turn into defensive players when they see that its going to be picked off. Cruz did it when Rogers was about to get one of those INTs. Idk what it is about those red and gold jerseys that make our recievers non-aggressive. I remember reading an article in the off-season about Moss telling young recievers to go up for the ball and fight for the ball and be hungry, yet no one is doing it too much. There's gotta be someway to make these guys get more aggressive on offense.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Like I said, if the receivers were average, then Jenkins would see playing time. Why do you guys think LMJ isn't seeing playing time.

Now, why do you guys think Kaepernick is seeing playing time. Surely he isn't as talented as Jenkins and LMJ considering out receivers are weak and LMJ is just damn talented.

The writing is on the wall...believe what you will...but the writing is there.

What writing? CK QB option isn't working or helping the team come from behind against good defense and LMJ and Jenkins isn't ready to contribute?
  • dj43
Originally posted by jreff22:
Like I said, if the receivers were average, then Jenkins would see playing time. Why do you guys think LMJ isn't seeing playing time.

Now, why do you guys think Kaepernick is seeing playing time. Surely he isn't as talented as Jenkins and LMJ considering out receivers are weak and LMJ is just damn talented.

The writing is on the wall...believe what you will...but the writing is there.

Jacobs isn't playing and Dixon is trash.........

And neither are better than Gore or quicker than Hunter. There's a reason why we Jacobs and LMJ and Dixon aren't seeing valuable playing time. Our WRs are better than we want to think or Jenkins would get spots in games to develop quickly.

Yet, our starting QB is the only one losing PT in critical situations.

Do you guys thinks Jets would even let Tebow get considerable snaps if Sanchez was considered really good and it were his WRs fault most of the time?

First indication of a players value is his contract.
Second indication is his playing time.

It's not our WRs.

Alex Smith is not "losing playing time" to CK. The times that Kaepernick has come in it has been to run some gimmick plays or read options. Those are not things the team has in their regular playbook that they would ask Smith to do under normal circumstances. CK has not come in to throw the short to mid-range passes Smith throws. When we begin to see Kaep in on those plays we can honestly say he is "taking playing time," until then, think what you want but it is not a precursor to CK as the starter on that basis.

Come on, Joe. You know your football better than this. You cannot be seriously thinking what you posted.

• dj43
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Did you just see Stokley catch the Manning TD in the 4th quarter of the Chargers-Broncos Game? Manning threw the ball right into what looked like a fully cover receiver and Stokely came down with the touchdown. I ask you...

Have you ever seen a 49ers receiver make that kind of catch?? No wonder JH and AS don't throw it into tight places and LET / HOPE the receiver make a play. Every darn time they do it doesn't turn out well.
Not only that play to Stokely but Eric Decker drives back hard on an outside throw and uses his body to shield the defender. Decker does this routinely on many throws. Demaryius Thomas is a young guy but he also uses his body very well to shield defenders. Yes, they both have Peyton Manning throwing to them but Manning isn't the one skying for the ball or coming back hard on under neath routes.

The current 49er receivers this season are markedly better than last season but it is undeniable that they are not in the upper half of receivers around the league.
[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 15, 2012 at 10:33 PM ]
Above 2 posts
Why don't our receivers "attack" the ball?

How can you attack a ball, when the "ball" is running out of bounds on third down when the team is down 23 - 3?
The ball has to be THROWN first, then it can be "attacked". It absolutely cannot be attacked, if it is not thrown first. This is why I am much more concerned with the "not throwing the ball" part of the equation, before we discuss things that may or may not occur after that first critical event.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM ]
If I made a thread that focused on why Alex Smith threw such a bad ball to Delaine Walker and why he threw so many INT's in the Giants game that thread would be locked in a second. So why isn't this thread not locked already? So much Alex love in this forum it's pathetic.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49erswillbeback:
If I made a thread that focused on why Alex Smith threw such a bad ball to Delaine Walker and why he threw so many INT's in the Giants game that thread would be locked in a second. So why isn't this thread not locked already? So much Alex love in this forum it's pathetic.

The point of THIS thread is to discuss whether or not the 49er receivers can be expected to reliably work hard to catch the ball at its highest point, come back hard to the ball on curls and the like. What is your opinion on that?
Share 49ersWebzone