LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 334 users in the forums

Receivers need to attack the ball!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
No offense, but this is the 8th year running that we're still blaming Alex's receivers for bad balls. Every QB has bad throws; every game has a set of passes that shouldve been caught/adjusted to.

This has become a norm with Alex. Everytime he throws a bad ball / pick, we all come out and find some way to blame the receiver(s). That first ball was poorly thrown. It hung in the air; Alex didnt note the zone coverage. It wasnt as if the DB had to run and make a play at it. He sat in his spot and the ball literally "floated" to him. Delanie has been horrible this season, but that was just a bad throw. Nothing more to it than that, in my opinion.
Originally posted by Faraz80:
No offense, but this is the 8th year running that we're still blaming Alex's receivers for bad balls. Every QB has bad throws; every game has a set of passes that shouldve been caught/adjusted to.

This has become a norm with Alex. Everytime he throws a bad ball / pick, we all come out and find some way to blame the receiver(s). That first ball was poorly thrown. It hung in the air; Alex didnt note the zone coverage. It wasnt as if the DB had to run and make a play at it. He sat in his spot and the ball literally "floated" to him. Delanie has been horrible this season, but that was just a bad throw. Nothing more to it than that, in my opinion.

So you are saying that Walker couldn't have done more to make a play there?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

What Im saying is that Alex is not INT prone, so the few times he actually makes mistakes, it's easy for us to dissect the play and find others culpable for the picks. Good example: the pick he threw against MIN. On paper, it looks like he threw the ball behind Crabtree for an easy pick. If you want to dissect it further, one can say that Crabtree broke into his slant a bit too quick, and therefore if he hadnt done so, the ball would have been in a perfect spot. So who to blame ? The receiver for cutting his route short, or the QB for underestimating the type of coverage and releasing too soon.

If we went back, we could do this with each and every pick, so why not keep it simple. It was zone coverage. Alex's ball floated. The DB intercepted before Walker even had a chance to make a play on it.
[ Edited by Faraz80 on Oct 15, 2012 at 5:39 PM ]

What Im saying is that Alex is not INT prone, so the few times he actually makes mistakes, it's easy for us to dissect the play and find others culpable for the picks. Good example: the pick he threw against MIN. On paper, it looks like he threw the ball behind Crabtree for an easy pick. If you want to dissect it further, one can say that Crabtree broke into his slant a bit too quick, and therefore if he hadnt done so, the ball would have been in a perfect spot. So who to blame ? The receiver for cutting his route short, or the QB for underestimating the type of coverage and releasing too soon.

If we went back, we could do this with each and every pick, so why not keep it simple. It was zone coverage. Alex's ball floated. The DB intercepted before Walker even had a chance to make a play on it.

That might have been the most colorful way to completely side-step such a simple question. Bravo.

No but seriously.. your answer seems to be that Walker had no chance to make a play on it. That's what you are sticking with?
[ Edited by Mr.Mcgibblets on Oct 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM ]

That might have been the most colorful way to completely side-step such a simple question. Bravo.

No but seriously.. your answer seems to be that Walker had no chance to make a play on it. That's what you are sticking with?

Walker had time to look up and locate the ball, he then continued upfield and waited for it to land in his hands. Alex's pass had a little too much air but when was the last time a receiver actually bailed him out? I saw the other team bailing out their QB plenty of times, not only vs us but throughout his career.

See the post above this one. Overthinking a bit much, methinks.
[ Edited by Faraz80 on Oct 15, 2012 at 5:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Most of these throws aren't perfect and if they are, the WR is wide open...

What Fitzgerald did at 1:41 to us is what Delanie could have done. Delanie instead let the defender get in front of him because he waited for the ball to come down.

Delanie is 6 feet tall and tries hard to run a 4.5 forty. Fitzgerald is 6'3" and can jog Walker's top speed so it's a little easier for him to make the adjustments.

We need to throw more to Moss and Manningham deep.

Now it's Alex's fault DW is only 6'?

I don't want to make excuses for Alex's game yesterday. It was bad. But so was everyone elses. IMO the 1st int was avoidable with a little extra effort from the receiver.... hitting the sideline would have been good too. The other 2 were bad decisions but the play calling did little to aleviate the pressure on the OL and QB's. We should have still been running after the 2nd TD.
  • dj43
Production from the wide outs has been the biggest disappointment this season. The FO made some decent attempts to fix the problem. They obviously realized it was a major issue last year. The fact they brought in Moss, signed MM and drafted Jenkins and James, all guys to increase the explosiveness of the offense is ample evidence to indicate they knew there was a dire need to improve in that area. The problem is evident again, for all who are willing to look at it. Manningham, as we all know, was going to be a #4 in NY this season so they let him walk. Moss is an enigma. We don't know yet if he has anything left because JH seems reluctant to use him. (I suspect he has little left and Harbaugh doesn't want to expose that yet.) Jenkins and James, both high picks that have yet to see the field causes me to raise my eyebrows about the vaunted Mr Baalke. When your #1 AND #2 draft picks, who were drafted to bring explosiveness to the passing game, cannot even make it onto the field, something is wrong. Were they junk? Is the coaching staff that inept at coaching receivers? Something is wrong here.
Originally posted by dj43:
Production from the wide outs has been the biggest disappointment this season. The FO made some decent attempts to fix the problem. They obviously realized it was a major issue last year. The fact they brought in Moss, signed MM and drafted Jenkins and James, all guys to increase the explosiveness of the offense is ample evidence to indicate they knew there was a dire need to improve in that area. The problem is evident again, for all who are willing to look at it. Manningham, as we all know, was going to be a #4 in NY this season so they let him walk. Moss is an enigma. We don't know yet if he has anything left because JH seems reluctant to use him. (I suspect he has little left and Harbaugh doesn't want to expose that yet.) Jenkins and James, both high picks that have yet to see the field causes me to raise my eyebrows about the vaunted Mr Baalke. When your #1 AND #2 draft picks, who were drafted to bring explosiveness to the passing game, cannot even make it onto the field, something is wrong. Were they junk? Is the coaching staff that inept at coaching receivers? Something is wrong here.
I got slammed weeks ago for saying that.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by jreff22:

i been saying that for a while now.

Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:

with you its hard to tell if you're being serious or stirring the pot

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

90% of the time Im being 50% serious.
  • dj43

Well, I guess I'm next man up.

I suspect many here, and maybe the coaching staff, thought we were better than we are, particularly in the WR department. Let's face it. Last year's team won in large part by the incredible TO ratio, not because of outstanding talent in the passing game. I have to believe the coaches and Baalke knew that and that is why they made the moves they did. The problem is, those moves have not amounted to much, nor can they when the only guy of the four that sees the field for any amount of PT is MM.

90% of the time Im being 50% serious.

Well, I guess I'm next man up.

I suspect many here, and maybe the coaching staff, thought we were better than we are, particularly in the WR department. Let's face it. Last year's team won in large part by the incredible TO ratio, not because of outstanding talent in the passing game. I have to believe the coaches and Baalke knew that and that is why they made the moves they did. The problem is, those moves have not amounted to much, nor can they when the only guy of the four that sees the field for any amount of PT is MM.
Agree.

Still think Hill would be the better guy right now. He has more TD's then any other WR we have on the roster....and that's with Sanchez.
Share 49ersWebzone