There are 230 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Receivers need to attack the ball!

Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
lol Hixon aint even a good WR.

also hard to make a great catch when the ball is ten feet over your head. You gotta give these dudes more chances. Eli is money and throws a great ball deep and short. The throws are crisp NFL caliber throws, not those fluttering ducks ALex throws. You see that throw that CK did to Manningham now thats a NFL caliber pass, no way Alex throws with that kind of velocity.

The big difference is that Eli can throw it from nearly any base be it off his back foot or on a stand still. He just has a better arm and better accuracy when throwing from unconventional positions. Alex can do it here and there, but coming up big often and when things are tight is what we need to see more from him.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
I can only come up with 1. It was in preseason Alex to Braylon.

There was also the Williams grab in Dallas. Very legit. Also I guess the Ginn non t.d. against Baltimore.

Crabtress grab against seattle
There was also the Williams grab in Dallas. Very legit. Also I guess the Ginn non t.d. against Baltimore.

Also Crabs catch vs Det last year that was VERY high.

And Seattle I guess but that was also a very well placed ball. So I will digress. But just so it's known Im not saying Alex couldn't have thrown some of these balls better, I'm just saying our receivers aren't really known for being play makers. It would be nice to see a WR make a great catch as I see other receivers do on the daily. That's all.
It's the way Delanie always does it. He fights the ball instead of catching it. He's not a natural hands guy.
The problem is that Delanie Walker is not an NFL receiver.
Originally posted by dhp318:
The problem is that Delanie Walker is not an NFL receiver.

walker made that great catch and TD when Kaep threw him the ball
Its always the receivers and olines fault and never the QBs fault.

we keep blaming the WR's
This is a VERY good thread and spot on. NY put on a CLINIC of route-running, quickness off the LOS, precision and circus catches. I sat there thinking, man, we're the 49ers. We are the team that used to have WR's like this! One team simply made all the clutch catches like in the NFCCG and one was just 1/2 an inch away (e.g. Manningham).

I would like to mirror the posters that said Alex played risky trying to make something happened and got burned for 10 points b/c of it, but to be fair, aside from a wide open receiver or VD, would you throw confidently to any of these guys? Seriously...esp. against a very smart and talented team like the Giants who played the EXACT same game plan as they did last year?

Again, coaches blew chunks, game plan was a joke, zero in-game adjustments, Alex sucked, OL was embarrassing, DL was a joke, front 7 was non-existent, secondary naturally got smoke when it matter, playing 100 yard off, same dude (Rogers, Whitner) giving up TD's in the RZ, ST was horrendous in field position and coverage, kicking, etc. It was an epic fail of man-hood during a redemption game.

BUT this aspect continue to stand out to me too like you all have noted. I'll post later in the Alex sucks, Kaep blows, OL is a joke, etc. threads later.
NCommand, the NY receivers had clutch catches because they were clutch throws. Dont miss the reality on this one. I highly, highly respect your analysis (no homo), but the production or lack of started with the qb and catches were made during the span of the first quarter when qb was balling. Production from WRs only retreated when the money throws quit coming. There is no other explanation.
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Oct 15, 2012 at 2:08 PM ]
Originally posted by calinig4life:

why--it is a valid point
Originally posted by NCommand:
This is a VERY good thread and spot on. NY put on a CLINIC of route-running, quickness off the LOS, precision and circus catches. I sat there thinking, man, we're the 49ers. We are the team that used to have WR's like this! One team simply made all the clutch catches like in the NFCCG and one was just 1/2 an inch away (e.g. Manningham).

I would like to mirror the posters that said Alex played risky trying to make something happened and got burned for 10 points b/c of it, but to be fair, aside from a wide open receiver or VD, would you throw confidently to any of these guys? Seriously...esp. against a very smart and talented team like the Giants who played the EXACT same game plan as they did last year?

Again, coaches blew chunks, game plan was a joke, zero in-game adjustments, Alex sucked, OL was embarrassing, DL was a joke, front 7 was non-existent, secondary naturally got smoke when it matter, playing 100 yard off, same dude (Rogers, Whitner) giving up TD's in the RZ, ST was horrendous in field position and coverage, kicking, etc. It was an epic fail of man-hood during a redemption game.

BUT this aspect continue to stand out to me too like you all have noted. I'll post later in the Alex sucks, Kaep blows, OL is a joke, etc. threads later.

NCommand, I think this WR lack of ability is a copout.

Manningham and Moss are proven WR's who have saved their QB's. Their hands haven't gotten worse. Crabtree has great hands and has caught some nice balls.
The biggest difference is the ball placement. The ball Alex threw to Manningham was badly placed because we have seen Manningham adjust and make great catches in the past. We have seen Moss do it.

The biggest difference is that Eli's WR's get more opportunities to do it whereas our guys may get 1 in every 3 games or so. Ball placement is the key to WR's getting into the best position to make difficult catches. The throw to Delani was like a punt and Delanie is only 6'. The throw to Manningham was too far inside when he had his DB beat.
Originally posted by Joecool:
NCommand, I think this WR lack of ability is a copout.

Manningham and Moss are proven WR's who have saved their QB's. Their hands haven't gotten worse. Crabtree has great hands and has caught some nice balls.
The biggest difference is the ball placement. The ball Alex threw to Manningham was badly placed because we have seen Manningham adjust and make great catches in the past. We have seen Moss do it.

The biggest difference is that Eli's WR's get more opportunities to do it whereas our guys may get 1 in every 3 games or so. Ball placement is the key to WR's getting into the best position to make difficult catches. The throw to Delani was like a punt and Delanie is only 6'. The throw to Manningham was too far inside when he had his DB beat.

Just have to agree to disagree. What I see is Crabs and others can make strong catches in their immediate catch radius, but are not in the same league as others when jumping/diving/really stretching out in anticipation to make the circus catches. I watched the Walker play over and over and can never understand why this man couldn't plant his feet and do a Combine vertical to go up and make that catch. He made such a circus catch back in London for Troy Smith vs Champ Bailey and Dawkins, remember?

Also Crabs catch vs Det last year that was VERY high.

And Seattle I guess but that was also a very well placed ball. So I will digress. But just so it's known Im not saying Alex couldn't have thrown some of these balls better, I'm just saying our receivers aren't really known for being play makers. It would be nice to see a WR make a great catch as I see other receivers do on the daily. That's all.

yah Jiks I agree with you on the WR to an extent. I would be nice to see better catches sometimes.
You have? Aside from Moss attacking a Kaep bomb into triple coverage, I haven't see any WR "attack" a ball. Maybe Williams on the back shoulder catch? Manningham, already is our best WR after 6 games and VD was covered like a blanket. The only thing this current WR group has proved to me is that they can continue to lead the league in dropped passes, like last year. Now, we can talk about the game plans and how one WR is targeted to catch and he's usually pretty wide open for almost the entire year (until yesterday)...how we never use Moss properly, we can talk about how high a % Alex does complete deep balls, efficiencies, etc. We can talk about how one QB had all day to throw while the other was getting beat to a pulp. We can talk about an injured throwing finger, only 6 games together as a group, etc. We can even try to turn this into an Alex-hater thread but...

I'm talking about raw ability. Let's just be honest here. NY's 3 are FAR, FAR superior to ours. These guys are so good, all you have to do in throw it into the general area and they will either catch it (or knock it down). I was most impressed with their route running ability, their first step, quickness, speed, range, timing, balance, coordination, concentration, etc. They were making VERY high catches with no fear (even taking low shots on 'em but they tried!), sideline catches, circus catches, one-handers, knocking down balls, getting 5 yard deep separation, using their hands properly, etc. And the fact that they ALL are successful also speaks to their coaching!

Eli is no dummy...he's been working with these guys and they worked hard to develop the chemistry they have; saw a show about Cruz and all the time he and Eli put in in the off seasons, etc. It takes years, trust, confidence, etc. Coaches give them the green light b/c they know more often then not, they will make plays to win the game.

I'm not even putting down our WR's (after 6 games) as much as I am giving the NY Giants WR/QB props for getting to a level where it reminded me of the tradition that we once had here in SF. I'm also not blind to the fact that Eli is one lucky SOB. Between the NFCCG and this game we could have had about 6 INT's including a couple pick-6's.

But overall talent, we aren't even on the same planet right now and by the time guys such as Moss/Manninhgam/Crabtree/Jenkins/Williams get to the level Alex/VD are on (or Eli and his guys), some of our guys will probably be long long gone.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM ]
If we seen more throws like the Smith to Crabtree throw and catch at Seattle last year, then we will see more production. Its simple. Make the tough decision and make your receivers make a play.

(Alex does this to an extent with Davis but Alex has incredible chemistry with him too, so the trust is there. )

Getting it with the receivers too, but it shouldnt take years